Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

I can relocate anywhere that has fast internet and a few stores to buy food, cloth and supplies. Ill be self employeed so jobs dont matter, I work for myself at home as a freelance graphics designer. I havent even checked out every state but Ohio and West Virginia are my two top choices. I have considered Georgia and Texas as well. South Dakota has good prices but its just too cold! I havent checked out Alabama but no one I know even mentions it. North Carolina and Tennessee are popular but not affordable enough, all those transplants drove prices up. I can get much more house for much cheaper in WV or OH(as long as its not in one of the metroplexes) WV is cheap everywhere except the eastern panhandle near D.C. Ive looked a little into PA, Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas and they have small towns with very affordable housing($50k and under with low to no crime)

So any of you know a cheap state/city/town? My criteria is listed above. Please do a search for WV and OH(southeast) on realtor com and let me know if you have seen houses this cheap elsewhere.

1. must be low or no crime
2. must not have extreme snow or cold into the minus
3. must have internet access
4. must have at least basic shopping(mc donalds, walmart, etc)
5. must have decent houses for $50k or less.
6. must have roads or paths suitable for driving
7. low taxes is a bonus!
8. mountains, lakes and other wonders of nature is a bonus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Have you looked into the area south of Huntington.W.Virginia? Along route 10?

They have a few small towns between Huntington and Logan. (W.Hamlin,Champmanville,ect.)

They have a few parks and lakes in that area. I've always been fond of the area.

I like this area because if you need to get something in the "big city", (Huntington) it's not too far of a drive. Plus, route 10 is in good shape.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 AM

Champmanville isnt reconized. I did a search for the Huntington area and houses arent cheap enough! Oil city has good prices and half the national average crime. But wow it can have a couple feet of snow and go into the minus! In fact it can snow 7 or 8 months of the year! A little too cold for my tastes Ok Johnstown looks good. Heard the crime is low. Very affordable houses and I guess ill deal with the cold and a foot of snow(better than two feet!) State income tax is only just over 3% fixed and I believe theres a $30k homestead exemption. I read that PA taxes is one of the lower taxes in all of America! I guess PA is now on my list of states to consider besides WV and OH!

Old 11-18-2006, 06:41 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Sorry Need Affordable Home, I had a typo. I meant Chapmanville not Champmanville.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Well, doesn't look like you want Idaho when you consider the weather/temp factors

Last edited by cleosmom; 11-18-2006 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-19-2006, 05:21 AM

What I should do is compile a list of cities and towns to visit for real and check out the area and houses. Oil city has some great prices, ditto to Franklin. Both are in n. PA and cold, tons of snow in the winter but at least it has low crime. Johnstown is also good except the crime is 4 times higher! I am not comfortable with the crime of Johnstown Does any of you know quiet towns/cities in PA with houses as affordable as in Johnstown, Oil city and Franklin?

Old 11-19-2006, 07:05 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
I posted a few for you on the pennsylvania site NAF. The ones I posted are not too far a drive from decent sized cities. Lived in that area about 27 years.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
There are milder pockets of WV. I don't know if it might be mild enough, but a place I stayed called Flatwoods WV has a January average somewhere between 41-43 F and July about 87 F. That's a hair milder than Lexington KY. It's right in the middle of the state. It looks like the mountains/hills help take the some of the edge off winter there.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I read that PA taxes is one of the lower taxes in all of America! I guess PA is now on my list of states to consider besides WV and OH!
They don't have cheaper gas though. On my way to Sandusky, OH, I noticed gas was cheaper in western NY than western PA, but at least it's cheaper that in OH. Gas is probably cheap in WV.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I posted a few for you on the pennsylvania site NAF. The ones I posted are not too far a drive from decent sized cities. Lived in that area about 27 years.

Thanks! I responded in the other thread. So far, I only found 3 cities with housed priced the way I like. Surely there has to be more cities/towns with nice houses for cheap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.