U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:20 AM

10 posts, read 7,018 times

Advertisements

I am a Senior in High School asking this question for a project in which we have to plan a budget based on our career aspirations. I am not planning my whole path now and I have quite a few years to decide which path(s) to take as I will be in a 4 year college [which I already have it narrowed down to]. For this project, I will take the state legislator path for my career. I only put the project part in there to explain that my deadline for this project is Monday night. However, if you stumble across this past then or get information later that I cannot use for the project, that is okay and feel free to reply. This thread could also help when I graduate from college and become fully independent in deciding on where to live. When explaining possible fits for places to live, don't think about the project- just approach this like you would giving clues and suggestions to other posters.

I apologize if there are lots of these types of threads, the United States is so large and diverse that I do not have all of the clues on where would be best for me.

Career Aspirations:

Top Career Choice: I hope to become a state legislator at the least although I understand it is an uphill battle to move across the country to another state and win a state legislature election 2 years later; I think that 4 years or more could suffice given you jump into the local community's social and political scene [as a politically active citizen] immediately. I would like to live somewhere with tolerable salaries for state legislators if not great; however, I would rather serve in a more full-time legislature as legislators in what is technically a part-time legislature [I have sought insights from a few] have told me that they spend about the length of a full time job minimum working on something legislative, going to events, or conducting constituent services. Politics is one of my intense interests and I cannot imagine living my whole life out not running for office [running to win of course] at least once or twice.

Backup Career Choices: I know that winning an election is not always possible and that I could lose re-election or run several times and fail to win. With that being said, my other top career choices would be entrepreneurship or hotel management.

Wants in a locale/state/region in which to live:

Ranked in order:
1) Relatively high population of younger singles.
2) Tolerable cost-of-living and tax climate.
3) More white-collar area/region.
4) Good prospects for aspiring career politicians (as in ability to get elected, have politics as the sole source of income, and at least a relatively average chance for a longer-term full-time political career).
5) If possible, somewhere in which successful middle aged males stand a relatively decent chance at being able to date a significantly younger woman without a high chance of being harassed for it [like me in my 40's or 50's and the girl being in her 20's] (I have no interest in dating anytime soon).
6) Not an isolated area.
7) If possible, somewhere in which a childfree person or couple can have a decent social life.
8) Somewhere in which someone who is not much into outdoor recreational activities has good recreational options.
9) A moderate to cooler climate. The southeast is just too hot for my liking.

Basically, given my criteria and career aspirations, could you please tell me of possible locales/states/regions that could fit my needs/wants and which would not?

If nowhere meets most orvall of these, then you can you please list which places meet which criteria (I would be satisfied then)?

Reminder: The project is not forcing me to decide everything now, I just figured it would be useful for me to finish a project, ask for insights, and be able to have a super-preliminary rough idea of possible places/states/regions to consider at the same time. I apologize if I am thinking unrealistically or wrote too long of a post. This project is nowhere near binding- it is just meant to get me thinking about my future.

Thank you for your time regarding this thread and I wish you all an excellent day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 01:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
Red State or Blue State?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:51 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,303,592 times
You need to live somewhere you can make a decent living and support yourself. Look through the salaries & states in the link.

You'll see that most state legislative jobs pay very little- certainly not enough to live comfortably on. Maybe only 10-12 IMO, would enable you to truly support yourself

It may help you to narrow down your possible choices.

https://ballotpedia.org/Comparison_o...ative_salaries

Old 12-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
You need to live somewhere you can make a decent living and support yourself. Look through the salaries & states in the link.

You'll see that most state legislative jobs pay very little- certainly not enough to live comfortably on. Maybe only 10-12 IMO, would enable you to truly support yourself

It may help you to narrow down your possible choices.

https://ballotpedia.org/Comparison_o...ative_salaries
I have seen the legislative pay and since politics is my passion, I am willing to narrow it down to the ones where I could live comfortably solely off of that salary.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Red State or Blue State?
I am fiscally conservative, conservative on immigration, and moderate/libertarian on everything else. I hope it helps.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru03 View Post
I am fiscally conservative, conservative on immigration, and moderate/libertarian on everything else. I hope it helps.
Suggest Idaho.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,644,306 times
The red states out West is where you should look.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
The red states out West is where you should look.
Only thing is that their legislative salaries are low. I would be okay with being a red politician in a blue state as long as I could win. I might would even run as a Democrat if that allowed me to win without compromising my important political beliefs.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:14 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,303,592 times
These states have salaries in the $ 49,000 + much higher per year. You might be able to live on that depending on the state. All the other states are much lower.

Keep in mind that any state legislature is not in session all year. That's why the salaries are so slow in some states. It's a part time job.

So check out these states

Alaska
California
Hawaii
Illinois
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin

Look up the state capital for each state as you would need to live fairly close to that.

Ohio might work well for you based on your criteria.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru03 View Post
Only thing is that their legislative salaries are low
You are fiscally conservative except for the government paying politician's salaries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.