Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Here are a couple of websites about colleges/universities in NY State in terms of employment: Locate Colleges | NY Colleges

https://www.suny.edu/careers/

Besides Syracuse, the University of Buffalo plays football and all sports in the Mid American Conference(MAC). Schools like Colgate in Hamilton, University at Albany and Cornell in Ithaca play in Division 1-AA/the Football Subdivision. Colgate was in the playoffs this year and Hamilton is about 50 mins-an hour SE of Syracuse, but is in the metro area.

Syracuse's AAA baseball club and Auburn's team(Class A-NY/Penn League) are affiliates of the Washington Nationals. Auburn is only 30 minutes west of Syracuse.

Also, if you like HS Football, Section 3 Class AA(essentially the Syracuse/Utica-Rome area schools in the state's biggest classification) is arguably one of the best HS Football leagues in the state due to being generally deep and competitive, as well as players playing in the NFL or D1 in recent years compared to other leagues in the state. Baldwinsville, a school in that league and a village I gave a street view for earlier, may be a community to look into. People fish from the bridge in the village into the Seneca River, its zip code during the past decade actually was at the national growth rate in terms of population, it has good schools, a new area YMCA, big box shopping nearby on Route 31 and more. They have guys playing D1 football at Syracuse, University of Buffalo and Boston College as well. Baldwinsville Football – Contact and Intensity

Jason Grilli of the Atlanta Braves is from there and they also have a good Baseball program. Good Hockey, Boys and Girls Lacrosse, Girls Volleyball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Girls Basketball and I believe Track teams too. Village of Baldwinsville

Baldwinsville Central School District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some homes in the village of Lake George, which is 50 minutes to an hour north of Albany: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List=

It has the lake in the mountains setting which would fit what you and the misses both like.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...517d0e!6m1!1e1

It also has a lakeside beach and Glens Falls is only 15-20 minutes away. Glens Falls at least has AHL Hockey, semi pro football and a Collegiate Baseball League team: Skiing, swimming, fishing, canoeing, biking, baseball, football, hockey. All in Glens Falls, New York Glens Falls also hosts the Boys Public HS Basketball State Championships. It also has an amusement park in the Great Escape. Saratoga Springs is also only minutes away. To the north along Lake George is Ticonderoga, with Fort Ticonderoga, a historical site being located there. Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce

Albany-Schenectady-Troy are all close enough and has AHL Hockey, D1 college sports and Class AA minor league baseball. Boston, Montreal and NYC are about 3 hours or so away as well.

Lake George - Official Guide to Lake George NY: Hotels, Restaurants, Vacations & More at LakeGeorge.com
EASY TO GET TO, EASY TO ENJOY | Lake George Area

Area bus system info: Great Glens Falls Transit
Just to let you know, I believe that Lake George does have a Football and Baseball program at its high school: Lake George Athletics - Powered by Sports Illustrated Play

Lake George Central School District

There are other schools nearby that may work as well.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:28 PM

Another small community that also came to mind: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3805...7i13312!8i6656

Official Travel and Tourism Information for Watkins Glen and Schuyler County

Village of Watkins Glen | Watkins Glen, NY

It is about 30 minutes from Ithaca, Elmira and Corning.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:18 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
I have to second the post that recommended Madison, WI, or areas surrounding it. It's very nice all by itself, but if you wanted to live in a more rural area, there are many within an hour. Also, U of Wisconsin has strong collegiate sports.

But then you also have the Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers and Bucks. Marquette University usually has a good basketball team also.

You would be very close to water sports, as well as skiing by the Wisconsin Dells. You are 2-3 hours from Chicago, but also only 4 hours to Minneapolis. Lakes are everywhere in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Madison is certainly liberal, surrounding areas are more conservative but nothing like the south.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 PM

90 posts, read 122,320 times
Ok, I just read your list of requirements. I recommend Dunedin Fl....very cool, smallish but not too small, great walking town, low COL...great biking(the pinellas trail runs through town)...leftish/liberal. Water everywhere, beaches etc.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 PM

90 posts, read 122,320 times
ps, it's warm Florida weather! Kind of a old Florida/keywest vibe..Plenty of entertainment bars, restaurants etc. Close to Tampa/St.Pete for city things...

Old 12-23-2015, 02:04 PM

You may like this video, OP: Video: Insight 8/16/13 | Watch Insight Online | WCNY/Channel 24 Video

Or perhaps this video as well: Video: Insight 7/26/13 | Watch Insight Online | WCNY/Channel 24 Video

One more place: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4569...8i6656!6m1!1e1
http://www.oswegony.org/
Oswego City Schools

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-23-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 09:02 PM

I also wonder if some of the suburbs/exurbs in the Twin Cities metro would work?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:23 PM

650 posts, read 867,111 times
Anywhere in Michigan. No matter where you are you aren't far from water. I personally prefer metro Detroit, but also like Ann Arbor and East Lansing.

Places on the great lakes I think would be great too. Such as in Pennsylvania and NY but I don't know much about names of cities are anything there. I could tell you all about Michigan though. I'd stay as far east as I could as the further west usually the more conservative they get hint Grand Rapids and that area and such.

Minnesota would also work for you. The Minneapolis St Paul area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.