Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Of places I've just read about...

Clovis, New Mexico seems to be exactly what you're looking for. It's in the middle of plains, near the Texas boarder. It's flat. It's hot. It's depressed. It's poor. It's white.
Probably the worse place I have ever been in my life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 05:11 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Yeah, well it is offensive.
So? What happens now that you're offended?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

Old 01-07-2016, 05:14 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_nol View Post
I m from the UK and I have to write a story for school about America.

I can make up the town, but I have to base it off a real one for research purposes and pick the state.

The town should be

- Isolated (a must! - what happens is a very "Lord of the Flies" situation and I need them to be cut off, minimum 45 minutes from the next town)
- Boring (like nothing interesting to see - I was looking at Utah and Arizona but its far too interesting there!)
- Poverty stricken
- Preferably hot and flat
- Small (<10 000 people)
- NOT a "hillbilly" culture (like Kentucky/West Virginia)
- "White trash" (not so familiar with this term but it seems to be what I'm going for)

The states I've been looking at are Nebraska (but possibly too rural?). Nevada (possibly too interesting?), Kansas (don't know much about here), Iowa (not so isolated, towns are very close together), Arkansas (possibly too redneck?) Oklahoma (don't know much either).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! The story will probably be set in the 60s/70s/80s
Reminds me of the movie 'Children of the Corn' which was written by Stephen King. It takes place in Nebraska I believe. Also, 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' comes to mind, so Texas.

At first I didn't see the difference between 'hillbilly' and 'white trash' you are referring to but now I come to think of it: hillbillies are like the people in 'Deliverance'; low income uneducated white people living in rural areas in shacks they build themselves without remotely any access to all amenities the modern world has to offer like halfway decent dental care.

'White trash' on the other hand usually live in trailer parks or low income housing in more civilized parts of the country and they have access to a Wallmart and to most amenities the modern world has to offer. It's just that they can't afford most of those amenities. Anyway, they probably rank higher in social status than 'hillbillies'.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 PM

10 posts, read 9,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
At first I didn't see the difference between 'hillbilly' and 'white trash' you are referring to but now I come to think of it: hillbillies are like the people in 'Deliverance'; low income uneducated white people living in rural areas in shacks they build themselves without remotely any access to all amenities the modern world has to offer like halfway decent dental care.

'White trash' on the other hand usually live in trailer parks or low income housing in more civilized parts of the country and they have access to a Wallmart and to most amenities the modern world has to offer. It's just that they can't afford most of those amenities. Anyway, they probably rank higher in social status than 'hillbillies'.
Yes, that's exactly what I was going for, thank you for clearing that up

Old 01-09-2016, 02:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Reminds me of the movie 'Children of the Corn' which was written by Stephen King. It takes place in Nebraska I believe. Also, 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' comes to mind, so Texas.

'White trash' on the other hand usually live in trailer parks or low income housing in more civilized parts of the country and they have access to a Wallmart and to most amenities the modern world has to offer. It's just that they can't afford most of those amenities. Anyway, they probably rank higher in social status than 'hillbillies'
Both are disgusting stereotypes.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:44 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
What's disgusting about this thread, is that people are responding with answers they consider to be helpful. Just uggghhhhh, people.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
What's disgusting about this thread, is that people are responding with answers they consider to be helpful. Just uggghhhhh, people.
Agreed!

Old 01-11-2016, 11:21 PM

65 posts, read 52,442 times
Dang, you people...
Everybody is offended by anything these days.
He asked a simple question. Why don't y'all answer if you like, and... well, just don't if you don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
How about do your own homework and stop soliciting us to do it for you.
That's exactly what he is doing here.

Last edited by JoniOdin; 01-11-2016 at 11:30 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniOdin View Post
Dang, you people...
Everybody is offended by anything these days.
He asked a simple question. Why don't y'all answer if you like, and... well, just don't if you don't?

That's exactly what he is doing here.
First off, I'm not about to help anyone find a "white trash" town in the US for a homework assignment in the UK. I can't stand the term, for reasons I've already explained.

Secondly, I really agree we should not be doing this person's homework for him/her.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
First off, I'm not about to help anyone find a "white trash" town in the US for a homework assignment in the UK. I can't stand the term, for reasons I've already explained.

Secondly, I really agree we should not be doing this person's homework for him/her.
Then don't comment...

We are not doing this person's homework. If this is a true and valid post with a true and real assignment, the assignment is to write a story. If the assignment were to find this particular town or area, and that alone, then we would be doing it for him or her. But the assignment is to write a story, and I don't see anyone here writing a story for the OP. But I assume the poster took to this website to get feedback from Americans as to what would be the most authentic area to use for this prompt. I would likely do the same. It's helpful to ask other people about places you don't know, especially if you need to write based on that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.