U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:16 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,092,262 times

Advertisements

What are some superstar cities that don't have socioeconomic divides? I can't think of any. NYC, San Francisco, DC, and Boston are heavily divided along the lines of race and income. Are there any exceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 PM

56,645 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What are some superstar cities that don't have socioeconomic divides? I can't think of any. NYC, San Francisco, DC, and Boston are heavily divided along the lines of race and income. Are there any exceptions?
Is this completely true? I'm sure there area areas where it is overwhelmingly one group, but there are diverse and integrated areas within each as well.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:47 PM

800 posts, read 468,093 times
Quote:
What is high inequality? Those with higher levels of wealth will always congregate in better areas in a city and those of lesser means will congregate in lower cost areas. As far as race and ethnicity, a large part of the segregation appears to be the desire of the individuals to be around others of similar backgrounds. The LA area doesn't have Korea Town, Thai Town, Little Saigon and on and on because of forced segregation. I'm a little less certain about the origins of China Town. That said, every place I've lived in California has been relatively integrated as far as ethnicity. Economically though, everyone is typically in a similar range for the obvious reason that people look for the safest, cleanest area with the best schools that you can afford.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:50 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,092,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this completely true? I'm sure there area areas where it is overwhelmingly one group, but there are diverse and integrated areas within each as well.

Diverse areas where? lol

Old 12-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Diverse areas where? lol
In Boston, you have Dorchester. In NYC, parts of Queens like parts of Jamaica around St. John's and nearby neighborhoods. In DC, parts of NW DC. In SF, there are quite a few neighborhoods, but it varies in terms of the group percentages.

There are other cities you could have used such as Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis among others. This may help: https://www4.uwm.edu/eti/integration/maps.htm

Old 12-19-2015, 02:15 PM

512 posts, read 377,266 times
This just might go to show you that people in some sense are chasing the purple unicorn. All of the awesome cities are also the most unequal. According to brookings

Some cities are still more unequal than others

However there are some decent cities with more equality. However according to the article, what helps make a city more equal is usually against progressive notions of being a great city.

Quote:
The cities with the most equal distribution of incomes also remained largely the same from 2012 to 2013. All are geographically large cities that incorporate large swaths of suburban territory within their borders, and most are in the South and West. In addition, these cities are not home to the concentrations of technology and financial/professional services industries that pay the very highest salaries and that characterize many of the cities at the top of the inequality rankings.
Basically, you need suburbanization, and you must not have the "good" industries to keep down inequality. How many people would be willing to take that trade-off?

But so far, I would say Raleigh is the best.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
This just might go to show you that people in some sense are chasing the purple unicorn. All of the awesome cities are also the most unequal. According to brookings

Some cities are still more unequal than others

However there are some decent cities with more equality. However according to the article, what helps make a city more equal is usually against progressive notions of being a great city.

Basically, you need suburbanization, and you must not have the "good" industries to keep down inequality. How many people would be willing to take that trade-off?

But so far, I would say Raleigh is the best.
Even there, E/SE Raleigh is different from N and W Raleigh: The other side of town: Southeast Raleigh's problems and promise | News Feature | Indy Week

Old 12-19-2015, 02:35 PM

639 posts, read 398,286 times
Boston is a majority minority city, It use to be split up by ethnic groups, north end Italian, south end Irish. Now it's split up by income.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,140,529 times
In the United States - no: worldwide yes. Places like Tokyo, Copenhagen, or Stockholm for example do not have the large underclasses seen in places like New York or Chicago. I think this is a testament to how inefficiently the U.S. sets up its social safety net.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:35 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,703,358 times
I won't say Copenhagen or Stockholm (Their are some people who tell me to avoid this area or that of Stockholm or Copenhagen if you look for it, in Tokyo all you here is avoid Kabuchiko which is the entertainment and red light district and is only dangerous by Tokyo or Japan's standards, but definitely places like Tokyo and also many smaller and or third world cities that have next to 0 zero rich or middle class (American standards) and have lots of poor people or lots of middle class people. Cities I can think of.
Most cities in Japan
Most cities in South Korea
Many if not most in Africa but this is poor people everywhere excludes any city well over 2 million people and Far Southern and Northern Africa.
Their are other cities that would classify but basically most cities under 2 million were everyone is either poor (First World Standards) or everyone is either middle class. Tokyo is about the only exception over 10 million people.
I would probably include most turkish cities as everyone there lives a lower middle class life and it is very hard to find rich or poor people outside of Istanbul.
Most Nations that lack millionaires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or