Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Phoenix and/or Las Vegas "the west coast"?
Yes 130 31.40%
No 284 68.60%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:30 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

If Phoenix is "West Coast", then Cleveland is "East Coast". And Cleveland ain't "East Coast".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:47 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Could not disagree more. Phoenix is geographically closer and culturally similar to the Inland Empire and Vegas than it is to Albuquerque or El Paso. Not even close. Phoenix faces West, not East. And you talk about California transplants in Vegas. Do honestly not see the California transplants in Phoenix and the influence it's had? Tucson is old Southwest and has some similarities with Albuquerque and Tucson but Phoenix not so much. Phoenix is basically a hybrid of West Coast and Midwesr in a Palm Springs or Vegas setting.
Sorry you have to draw the line somewhere and PHX is definitely NOT "west coast". When people say that certain places in California are not west coast then you certainly can not call PHX "west coast" when it is not in a west coast state and it is 6 hours and 372 miles from the actual "west coast".

PHX maybe similar to the Inland Empire but it is not politically the same, and in the Inland Empire you can be at the beach under 1 hour in light traffic. Vegas is a stretch too, as it is 4 1/2 hours and 285 miles from the actual "west coast". But Vegas gets more California vacationers than PHX.

Every 100 miles from the actual "west coast" one can make strong arguments that the culture and climate are less and less "west coast", and for every additional 100 miles it is exponentially different in feeling NOT "west coast".

Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sorry you have to draw the line somewhere and PHX is definitely NOT "west coast". When people say that certain places in California are not west coast then you certainly can not call PHX "west coast" when it is not in a west coast state and it is 6 hours and 372 miles from the actual "west coast".

PHX maybe similar to the Inland Empire but it is not politically the same, and in the Inland Empire you can be at the beach under 1 hour in light traffic. Vegas is a stretch too, as it is 4 1/2 hours and 285 miles from the actual "west coast". But Vegas gets more California vacationers than PHX.

Every 100 miles from the actual "west coast" one can make strong arguments that the culture and climate are less and less "west coast", and for every additional 100 miles it is exponentially different in feeling NOT "west coast".
When people start to argue which feels more west coast between Vegas or Phoenix the argument becomes pointless. These cities are very much alike, they should almost be siblings. Outside of the strip the cities fell extremely the same, from the landscape to the culture. Saying that Vegas gets more California vacationers than Phoenix is a really bad argument. I bet NYC gets more California visitors than Phoenix, does that make it more West coast? lol. The traffic between LA and Vegas is much worse than the traffic between Phoenix and LA on the weekends so the drive to vegas has never been 4.5 hours for me. Even driving through Phoenix you can never leave the house without spotting a multitude of California license plates and in LA I see way more Arizona license plates than Nevada. Neither city is "west coast" but both cities share a lot of west coast qualities, which make them equally "seemingly west coast". Politically Phoenix is the same as Orange County. I have a multitude of friends from the OC who all went to Phoenix and Tucson for college, people in Southern California hoard their kids off to school in Arizona. Many of them said that Phoenix area had a lot of similar qualities to back home.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
West for sure, not coast to me

Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Southwest is a proper term for Phoenix, not west coast. It has cultural influence from the west coast California, inter-mountain west (New Mexico, Colorado, Utah) and Mexico. The only people who call it west coast are probably transplants.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:25 AM

353 posts, read 656,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
When people start to argue which feels more west coast between Vegas or Phoenix the argument becomes pointless. These cities are very much alike, they should almost be siblings. Outside of the strip the cities fell extremely the same, from the landscape to the culture. Saying that Vegas gets more California vacationers than Phoenix is a really bad argument. I bet NYC gets more California visitors than Phoenix, does that make it more West coast? lol. The traffic between LA and Vegas is much worse than the traffic between Phoenix and LA on the weekends so the drive to vegas has never been 4.5 hours for me. Even driving through Phoenix you can never leave the house without spotting a multitude of California license plates and in LA I see way more Arizona license plates than Nevada. Neither city is "west coast" but both cities share a lot of west coast qualities, which make them equally "seemingly west coast". Politically Phoenix is the same as Orange County. I have a multitude of friends from the OC who all went to Phoenix and Tucson for college, people in Southern California hoard their kids off to school in Arizona. Many of them said that Phoenix area had a lot of similar qualities to back home.
You pretty much knocked it out of the park. Couldn't agree more with this post.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM

353 posts, read 656,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If Phoenix is "West Coast", then Cleveland is "East Coast". And Cleveland ain't "East Coast".
Cleveland is further inland than Phoenix is. Maybe you could have used Pittsburgh instead of Cleveland. Phoenix is not on the West Coast but it is a lot closer to the West Coast then Cleveland is to the East Coast.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:36 AM

To: "I am cookie", you are mixing arguments, but, we do agree neither Vegas nor PHX are west coast. Your argument about NY doesn't make sense. So u say the OC and PHX have similar politics, so does Oakland and Detroit doesn't mean Detroit is West Coast. I think PHX is fine being Southwestern doesn't need to be west coast too.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:26 PM

Saying that NYC, PHX is west coast is a bad argument. But if you are going to use the vacation argument Vegas wins by a landslide, you don't have to fly to Vegas from LA and you can go a lot more for a lot less money on a regular as applied to people with average incomes. Not that many people can fly to NY on regular basis as compared to Vegas.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Saying that NYC, PHX is west coast is a bad argument. But if you are going to use the vacation argument Vegas wins by a landslide, you don't have to fly to Vegas from LA and you can go a lot more for a lot less money on a regular as applied to people with average incomes. Not that many people can fly to NY on regular basis as compared to Vegas.
Huh? Dude I wasn't literally trying to say that NY is a west coast city. The only reason why I gave you that example was because YOU initially said vegas is more west coast because more people from california visit vegas than phoenix......

I was basically showing you how bad of an argument that was by putting the NYC fact in there because Vegas, like NYC is a international tourist destination whereas phoenix is not so obviously more people from california visit vegas than phoenix. Nvm lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.