U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Phoenix and/or Las Vegas "the west coast"?
Yes 122 31.85%
No 261 68.15%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Reputation: 5342

Advertisements

Right now I'm in a debate on the Phoenix forum, on a thread titled "Denver vs Phoenix" about whether or not Phoenix is a "west coast" city. Here's a quote from a comment that I totally disagreed with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Phoenix has better weather and it's located near the west coast so it is much more laid back and liberal if that's what you like. Even the conservative people in Phoenix are much more left leaning than conservative groups in Colorado and other parts of the country.
And this way my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Even though I disagree with about 80% of what you're saying, I'm not even going to bother arguing with you on most of what you're saying here, including the weather-- a pointless debate. But on this point, your perceptions are clouded by stereotypes and have absolutely nothing to do with the pace of life and culture in either the west coast (aka, California), Phoenix, or Denver. #1 The popular image of the "west coast" (aka, California) as a "laid back" place, based on popular culture references to the "surfer lifestyle" is nothing more than a myth. Californians are some of the most over-worked, over-stressed, sleep-deprived people in the country. Traffic congestion, crime and aggressive drivers aren't exactly signs of a "laid back" lifestyle. #2 Phoenix is NOT the "west coast," it never was and it never will be. If you truly think Phoenix is the west coast, then you're a southern California wanna-be. Also, take a look at this thread I started on the California forum. Most Californians, the true west coasters, do not consider Phoenix to be the west coast. #3 [...] Since when did Phoenix become some sort of haven for liberals? A little wishful thinking, IMO.
I also said in another comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Moving to Phoenix because it's only 6 hours from San Diego is about as smart as moving to Pittsburgh because it's only 6 hours from Washington DC. If San Diego is your true love (and BTW, I LOVE San Diego, and I'm thinking about moving there!), then move to San Diego. If you cannot afford to live in SD, that's a shame, but pretending that PHX=SD isn't going to change the facts. It only further reinforces my point that many (not all, but many) Phoenicians are nothing more than California wanna-bes.
Who do you guys think with? Who do you agree with? I'll throw Las Vegas into the equation too, since Vegas is often grouped with Phoenix in the league of desert cities that some people (erroneously IMO) think are the "west coast."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:16 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Reputation: 4766
I'd say Las Vegas can qualify as West Coast. Hey that game GTA San Andreas actually included in its fictional state of California.

IN all seriousness though, a large portion of both Las Vegas and Phoenix's population come originally from California. Vegas feels a lot liek California, specifically southern California with its palm trees and wide streets. A lot of "California" tour groups include Vegas on their itineraries and Nevada is in the Pacific time zone.

But one thing though, transplants can change a place. Maryland, especially the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, used to not be considered Northeast but it increasingly has become that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Reputation: 4766
The best definition for those two places, though, I would say is the "Inland West", which includes Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise, and perhaps inland California cities like Palm Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,536,114 times
Reputation: 5566
Not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:36 PM
 
1,486 posts, read 4,027,177 times
Reputation: 496
Phoenix people certainly think they are West Coast (I can't say anything about Vegas) but really Phoenix is more like the Inland Empire region of California. You get all the over-the-top flashy types, big sunglasses, tattoos, roids, big trucks and big motorcycles. Basically all the people that flaunt themselves on DirtyScottsdale.

In many ways, Phoenix and the Inland Empire region are similar to New Jersey, at least culturally (I used to call it the New Jersey of the West to my friends that live in San Francisco). It's second fiddle to California and will always be, just as Jersey is second fiddle to NYC. It attempts to emulate California but then turns that attempt into a farce because they are so over-the-top about it.

I realize it's not a perfect comparison; New Jersey also has a lot of companies of their own and the bridge and tunnel crowd have a lot of wealth. Also, for all the douchebags in Jersey there are also a lot of very educated professionals starting companies, very technicals companies. In Phoenix people start energy drink companies, club promotion companies or magazines; magazines that don't have any articles mind you but just contain pictures of local B-list celebrities at clubs...oh and lots of energy drink advertisements!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:38 PM
 
172 posts, read 180,354 times
Reputation: 61
Your whole premise seems rather stupid considering the post you responded to said Phoenix is near the west coast, not Phoenix is the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,564,868 times
Reputation: 843
In Pittsburgh we have a similar debate--is it more like the East Coast, Midwest or Appalachia? There really is no resolution to this question, people on the East Coast call it Midwest, those in the Midwest call it East Coast. So, from the perspective of someone in Pittsburgh (wherever that is), I would say that neither Phoenix nor Las Vegas are "West Coast" because neither near the Pacific Ocean. Let me just remind you that Southern California isn't nearly as liberal as many make it out to be. With that being said, Las Vegas reminds me a lot of Los Angeles in that even though it is a liberal area, there are many conservatives there (especially economically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Reputation: 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Your whole premise seems rather stupid considering the post you responded to said Phoenix is near the west coast, not Phoenix is the west coast.
That particular individual may have said "near," but if you look through the archives of the Phoenix forum whenever the "west coast" issue has come up, you can find dozens of posters who said they think it is "west coast" or it's a "west coast" culture. So no, the premise is not stupid at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,528 posts, read 5,711,540 times
Reputation: 640
No, and while I do consider cities like LA, San Diego, and maybe even San Francisco to be... I also consider then to be part of the southwest... just because they're on the ocean doesn't mean they aren't ...its like Putting Houston or NYC out of the South or Northeast because they are on a big body of water...I mean State that don't even touch the ocean are still considered the Eastern SEAbored....but anyways... No I don't...
^
yeah... SoCal is liberal, but i mean San Diego and OC went conservative for bush, SoCal is sorta of conservative... comparative to the Midwest and South of course they look very liberal, but comparatively to the Northeast, they seem quite conservative. In the Last election, proportionately I believe more of San Diego county voted for Bush then Dallas county, whom only won by a little... SoCal is actually still primarily conservative, only 2 counties went liberal that last election. The imperial County and Los Angeles county... the rest went Republican. Its the bay area which is so liberal...almost all the counties adjacent to San Fran, and those adjacent to them went liberal.

Last edited by CMDallas; 02-04-2008 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
 
172 posts, read 180,354 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
That particular individual may have said "near," but if you look through the archives of the Phoenix forum whenever the "west coast" issue has come up, you can find dozens of posters who said they think it is "west coast" or it's a "west coast" culture. So no, the premise is not stupid at all.
Then why did you respond to that particular individual in the way you did and then proceed to post it in here as evidence of someone who thinks Phoenix is a west coast city. That's the stupid part. If you wanted to have a poll, just post the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top