U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 AM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times

Advertisements

Colorado IMO is our most beautiful state for mountaINS by far unless you like widerness of alaska.I love the Ouray and silverton area of colorado for mountains mayelf. the Vail valley is beautiful but gotten to be a tourist trap.The great smkey are beautiful but again but again has become crowded turist area mostly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 AM

264 posts, read 256,737 times
I think Colorado would be GREAT for outdoors-y type of things.
Personally (and just IMO) *I* would steer clear of Charlotte just based upon safety- I've read over and over about the crime (especially property crimes) and that wouldn't sit with me. I also don't believe schools are as good, if that matters.

I guess it would depend on what weather you would prefer, also? Obviously, Charlotte is in the South and would be warmer- Colorado you'll get the snow. I would go for the "4 seasons"

Old 10-11-2009, 11:22 AM

588 posts, read 1,083,941 times
The mountains west of denver are way overrated. Western Kansas is over 5,000 feet elevation. The mts. near Denver are not at all impressive. To even get to them you have to fight tons of traffic. Try SLC, Seattle, Portland or Reno.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,852,581 times
Trees and biodiversity equals North Carolina in overtime. I do love CO. though.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,619 times
Default North Carolina vs. Colorado (mostly Denver)

I'm a 24/m, and was born and raised in Raleigh, NC.

I lived in Greensboro for a year, and Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach for about 5 years while in school.

I have spent a lot of time in Asheville, Boone, the Outer Banks, New Bern, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carolina Beach, and a few other places.

Pleased be prepared, because this is where I am going to start rambling about my thoughts in no particular order which may or may not help you make a comparison. My thoughts very well may be biased since I heavily favor one place.

A year and a half ago I moved to Denver, CO. I have spent time in Durango, Telluride, Ft. Collins, and Summit County (most every weekend for 6 months I stayed in Silverthorne).

While you may want to compare the different mountain ranges, really in many ways comparing the places is like comparing apples to oranges.

If you absolutely love snowboarding/skiing and want to do it all the time, then I would say CO is the place for you. Despite what most people who have never visited Denver, the true mountains are about 45 - 2+ hours away from the city (depending on traffic). If you were thinking you can just wake up on a Saturday morning and go skiing on a weekend, you better be prepared for the huge headache that is 70. Traffic will be backed up when your going and backed up when your leaving. I split a ski house with a bunch of friends for 6 months during the ski season which allowed me to go up Friday night and stay up in Summit county. If it wasn't for that I would have gotten very few days in because of the hassle of the regular commute. For me, I would rather live in NC and take a vacation to CO (Telluride or Steamboat are both better places than summit county in my opinion) for 2 weeks during the winter where I can go every day straight to get my fill without driving to and from the mountains.

Denver is very much an import city, and from my experience, most people that love it are from the Midwest or CA. There are a bit of Texans and North Easterners as well (particularly seem to be a lot of people from Mass and IL). I don't find a lot of south-easterners here at all, and those I do know usually are not as big of fans. Locals here seem to be very proud of being local, and I find most of the friendliness and warmth does not come from them but rather the fact that a lot of people are imports from all over the place and a lot of people know what boat your in when arriving.

If your a young professional and looking at moving to CO, from what I understand most of the jobs are in the DEN area or perhaps CO springs. It's not a terrible market and probably better on avg than opportunities available in NC. I was fortunate to line up a good job before coming out here.

NC has 2 decent job markets in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and Charlotte, which are both great places to live. Charlotte is a bit closer to the mountains and Raleigh is a bit closer to the beach, but a weekend commute to either the beach or the mtns is reasonable from either city. There are parts of both that you may want to avoid (mainly strip mall laden areas and the crime ridden parts of the cities), and the public transportation is considerably poorer in Raleigh when compared to Denver. Charlotte has an ok public transportation. Denver has a very clean and accessible light rail, and the bus system doesn't leave too much to be desired.

The Mtns of Colorado have a ton of awesome trails, and hiking 14ers is a blast! A pro and a con here is that Coloradans love to stay active. I hiked a lot and I would usually always see a good amount of people when hiking trails close in to Denver. Even farther out ones, I would usually see people. When hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I always feel much more secluded. I also like the fact the air isn't quite as dry and the waters are always a bit warmer. There is more vegetation, and there are no mountain lions to worry about (all though that really isn't a huge concern in CO, it is something to be mindful of). Many parts of CO are windy quite a bit and extremely dry, and often I feel like I am breathing in copious amounts of dustiness which I don't prefer. In NC like many places in the south, there are more overweight people, though there are definitely parts with more active people. In Wilmington NC you can always count on there being a ton of runners and bikers out during the day (and a lot of binge drinkers at night).

I prefer NC because I like the southern hospitality, the friendliness of people better, the greater land diversity, and I like being around vegetation. Most of the green you will see in Denver is only because of installed sprinkler systems. For a place that prides itself on conservation and environmental awareness, people do pridefully adore soaking their lawns on a daily basis.

While you'll occasionally get 50-60 degree days in Denver during the winter, I don't really feel that the warm spring air comes regularly until the middle of May. In most places in NC, you get warm spring feeling days starting in late March, and will feel the 80s regularly by late April. If you like warm weather for the better part of the year, which I do, NC has the leg up. If you like sunny days and hate rain, Denver gets the leg up. It barely ever rains, and when it does, it usually does for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, and it is mostly always sunny. This makes it very convenient if you want to commute on a bike (you can get rid of your car with little problem living close to Denver if you work in the city). However, I love the long thunder/rain storms of NC and miss them dearly.

CO (Denver) Pros
- Sunny more often
- Lower threat of natural disaster
- Skiing/Snowboarding accessibility/quality
- More mountain trails/parks
- Decent (in this economy) job market
- Good Public Transportation (convenient/clean)
- Midwest Melting Pot
- Perhaps slightly more educated

CO (Denver) Cons
- Land diversity less desirable to some (rocky mountains, plains, deserts; not much vegetation, change of seasons not as noticeable)
- Dry/dusty (your car will need to be cleaned often)
- Cooler longer
- If you like snow, it doesn't snow in actual Denver too often (also barely ever rains if you like rain)
- People not quite as friendly (all though definitely more friendly then NE area of US), personable
- Tons of homeless people, panhandlers; however apparently denver treats these people well compared to a lot of big cities so it makes sense why they would want to live here
- 16th street mall
- Higher UV index due to elevation
- If your into adult sports leagues, pretty much no competition outside of the Denver area.
- Most neighborhoods close to the cities are built on grids only with alleyways. I prefer bigger streets and driveways as I believe that with the amount of homeless people that live in Denver, alley's create a greater opportunity for crime. I do not have any statistics.

NC Pros
- [Diversity:Beach, Mountains, humidity, climate, season changes], university system, sports (pro, university, adult leagues, competitive youth leagues combined), greenness (vegetation), diversity, friendliness, bbq, food in general, especially fish

NC Cons
- If you love to ski/snowboard, not as big of an opportunity to binge on these activities.
- If you hate a slower lifestyle, and hate southern accents, do not move here. Most people born and raised in the bigger cities do not have heavy accents, but there are a lot of people that do.
- The job market is very competitive in most places (manufacturing/textiles used to be a big backbone, bye bye NC, hello Mexico and China)

Please remember these are opinions, and I'm not sure I have a true objective here. Both states are great places to live, and I think if I was going to live anywhere outside of the NC/SC/GA area it would be CO.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,627,846 times
Mountains: Either state

Majestice beauty: Colorado

Geographic diversity: North Carolina

Quality/friendliness of people: North Carolina, hands down. (However, I didn't find the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area, in my brief experience, to be overly friendly for whatever reason). Which means...

My vote is for North Carolina!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM

318 posts, read 454,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If you like mountains, I guess my question is, "why Charlotte"? I would think Asheville NC would be more appropriate.

At any rate, if you want to be a teacher, I would be very leary of teaching in Charlotte's public schools. I don't know if Denver's are much better, but they are probably not worst.
At my college in south-central CO, many students hail from Denver. What I'll say is, it has its good schools and bad schools. I'd consider Denver's suburbs, too, depending on your budget. What's your budget and what kind of home/apartment are you looking for (rooms, baths, etc)? Denver definitely isn't cheap, in my opinion.

The Cost of Living index in Denver is 108.2, more than the national average. The median home value is right around ~$250k. VERY expensive where I come from, being someone whose pockets also "ain't too deep," but perhaps that sounds more reasonable to you. Then again, being an urban center with ghettos just like any other, there'll be expensive neighborhoods and ghettos, as well as neighborhoods in between. Denver does have decent public transportation, of course depending on where you live. And be prepared for LOTS of imported Californians and Texans. Also, Denver is a very liberal city.

I don't have too much experience with NC, though I've been there a time or two. But that's what I have to say about Denver, though.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,236,957 times
I lived in Charlotte (loved it!) and have spent time in Denver. Both are great cities with a lot to see and do. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, but the kicker for me is that North Carolina has the mountains AND a coast! Colorado is landlocked and you are miles away from the nearest coast (California). North Carolina offers the Southern charm while Denver represents the new West. Denver would probably feel better in the summer as I remember experiencing hot, humid days in NC. However, Denver does get snow and lot's of it (been watching the last two years). NC gets snow, but it's the ice you have to be more concerned with. Finally, I think the state of NC has more to see and do as opposed to Colorado.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:30 AM

4,331 posts, read 6,580,666 times
I guess its whats the most important to a person when deciding on pros and cons. What each state provides you in regards to your Criteria List. I think when you add things up as with any place, each area has a feeling to it a vibe that each gives off. If the vibe just isn't really there enough for you then remove it from your list.

I think Colorado and NC are both nice states but I think they are very different states. You really have to spend some time in a place to know if it feels right. Many times you can get that feeling good or bad when researching and visiting. Many times though when moving to and living in the same place we have visited, an entirely different feel can take over.

From reading your criteria I would say you could live in either place but somewhat leaning to NC. So really focus on what I mentioned. Visiting and Living in a place are not always the same for many. Things can backfire. Make sure you choose the locale that you feel fits you the most and sort of soothes your soul. The place that really sticks out in your mind as where you would feel at home. Your young. If one locale doesn't work out then you always have the other, but its expensive to move around so keep that in mind also.

Best of Luck.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM

705 posts, read 782,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
At my college in south-central CO, many students hail from Denver. What I'll say is, it has its good schools and bad schools. I'd consider Denver's suburbs, too, depending on your budget. What's your budget and what kind of home/apartment are you looking for (rooms, baths, etc)? Denver definitely isn't cheap, in my opinion.

The Cost of Living index in Denver is 108.2, more than the national average. The median home value is right around ~$250k. VERY expensive where I come from, being someone whose pockets also "ain't too deep," but perhaps that sounds more reasonable to you. Then again, being an urban center with ghettos just like any other, there'll be expensive neighborhoods and ghettos, as well as neighborhoods in between. Denver does have decent public transportation, of course depending on where you live. And be prepared for LOTS of imported Californians and Texans. Also, Denver is a very liberal city.

I don't have too much experience with NC, though I've been there a time or two. But that's what I have to say about Denver, though.
Denver might be a liberal city, but it probably only seems that way because the rest of the state is so conservative. And it is not nearly as liberal as places like Portland, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc. Denver's suburbs are much more conservative than the city, too.

I don't know a whole lot about Charlotte's politics, but I'd imagine that they're somewhat similar to Denver's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.