Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:26 PM

699 posts, read 610,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Isn't Maui extremely expensive?
And boring.

Lahaina is incredibly beautiful, but there is nothing to do there except go to the beach. If you're going to move to Hawaii, at least go to Honolulu unless you want to retire in some beach side cabana and be dead to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 PM

731 posts, read 935,576 times
Richmond VA.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
If you don't want big swings in weather during the day, I do not recommend Tucson for you. Dry weather is NOTORIOUS for big swings in weather. Here in the desert you can need a jacket in the morning, a tank top by afternoon, and jacket again by night. This is sort of a normal thing here. If you don't like that I strongly suggest looking in more humid places.

Tucson also has terrible roads. One of the worst I've ever seen, actually.

But if you think you can move past those then Tucson may be a great option.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if Las Cruces NM would be a good fit, as it fits or comes very close to the population criteria, has NM State University and fits the climate criteria.
Does it meet the other criteria? Seems a bit sleepy to me. Does it have good restaurants? I assume it has good Mexican food, but anything else? It's slightly under 100K so not really qualifying for my criteria, but it's on the cusp.

Last edited by cBach; 12-30-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
And boring.

Lahaina is incredibly beautiful, but there is nothing to do there except go to the beach. If you're going to move to Hawaii, at least go to Honolulu unless you want to retire in some beach side cabana and be dead to the world.
Actually Maui sounds better to me than Honolulu. I don't like the super touristy areas and I'm an introvert so having a beach side cabana all to myself is a dream come true.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
If you don't want big swings in weather during the day, I do not recommend Tucson for you. Dry weather is NOTORIOUS for big swings in weather. Here in the desert you can need a jacket in the morning, a tank top by afternoon, and jacket again by night. This is sort of a normal thing here. If you don't like that I strongly suggest looking in more humid places.

Tucson also has terrible roads. One of the worst I've ever seen, actually.

But if you think you can move past those then Tucson may be a great option.
I didn't say this, I said "day to day swings". Let me explain. In Austin, it was a high of 80 one day (with a low of 70) and then the next day it didn't get above 39. I don't think Tucson has that kind of weather.

I actually like diurnal differences. 55/95 is really nice for a day, but 95 one day and then 55 the next day (with a low of 35) is too much. We get that in Texas quite a bit.

There are other days that the morning is 70 degrees and humid in Texas and then the temp *drops* during the day to 40, where the low for the day was overnight.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:32 AM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Does it meet the other criteria? Seems a bit sleepy to me. Does it have good restaurants? I assume it has good Mexican food, but anything else? It's slightly under 100K so not really qualifying for my criteria, but it's on the cusp.
It appears that the 2014 estimates shows that it is a little over 101,000 and the metro is 209,000. It is a part of the El Paso-Las Cruces CSA.

Outside of climate and perhaps events due to NM State, I'm not sure what else it would fit.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:07 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
As much as I love Austin, it's starting to become too big for me. I've come to realize I prefer a city with around 300K people maximum. Also, although I like the no income tax of Texas, the property taxes take a large bite because of the increasing prices.

These are my requirements:

* city population between 100K-500K, metro between 150K-1M
* average winter highs above 50 during January (I hate cold weather)
* fairly consistent weather (I hate the day to day swings here)
* low property taxes
* nice restaurant scene (I like to eat out)
* theaters with food/beer/wine (like Alamo Drafthouse)
* high percentage of females to males (I'm a single male)
* either near the beach, mountains, or both
* fairly close to a big city for excursions
* good roads, low traffic conditions
* unique culture
* some festivals throughout the year

Right now I'm considering these cities: Albuquerque NM (mountains & dry weather), Lafayette LA (low property taxes & culture), Tucson AZ (mountains & dry weather), & Charleston SC (beach & culture)

But I'm open to other ideas.

I'm basically trying to find the "next Austin," what Austin was circa 1990.
All these areas fit well for you, but the biggest problem in all of them is good paying jobs. I would start applying in all 4 and see where fate takes you

Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
I didn't say this, I said "day to day swings". Let me explain. In Austin, it was a high of 80 one day (with a low of 70) and then the next day it didn't get above 39. I don't think Tucson has that kind of weather.

I actually like diurnal differences. 55/95 is really nice for a day, but 95 one day and then 55 the next day (with a low of 35) is too much. We get that in Texas quite a bit.

There are other days that the morning is 70 degrees and humid in Texas and then the temp *drops* during the day to 40, where the low for the day was overnight.
Ahhh, this is more clear now. Tucson doesn't have varying weather day to day very often.

Also, I wouldn't worry about an explosion of growth there. It boomed for awhile with the real estate stuff, and it's generally growing, but it's not a boom city that will be really different in 10 years. This is because of the anti-development sentiment that is rampant in the city. In order to really grow, huge employers would have to move there, and that's not happening IMHO. Raytheon is the biggest employer that isn't the U of A, and that's been there awhile already. Half my neighbors worked at Raytheon, it seemed.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek99 View Post
Go to Midland
Horrible choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.