Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:30 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Why?

Honestly, the things you mentioned are cliche, not that common and pretty stupid.
People usually don't make out, drink, and smoke 420 in regular movie theaters. But doing that in your car is another story. So, sorry, don't think the reasons I put forward are pretty stupid. I may be mistaken, but not stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I don't even live in a big city though my area does have a drive-in theater.
Same here.

Drive-in theaters are a bigger deal still in small towns than in urban areas. In my area going to the drive in is a very popular activity in the summer. I personally don't get it, other than for the retro/nostalgia/50s feel you get. You have to pay full price for the movie, but you can't see it nor hear it near as well as a real theater.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:24 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
What is the age range of people who go to them? And why? 420, drinking, and making out?? I don't know too many other reasons why people would go to them.
There is one my husband and I went to last year. Other people ranged in age from kids to 60ish, from what I could see until it got too dark. Some were there probably for nostalgic reasons: convertibles, picnic on truck tailgates, sit on a blanket on the soft grass or in your choice of outdoor chair or in your car. Others most likely went for the low price of one fee for a carload of people, cheaper than an indoor theatre for a family. We went because how often can you see the stars in the sky between tall trees, above the screen, and breathe fresh outdoor air at a movie? The setting of this forested site itself gave it a character you just can't get in a movie theatre.

This drive-in has both the old-fashioned speaker pods at each space, plus an ambient broadcasting system. Sound quality was far better than I remember from another place years ago.

I saw someone smoking a cigarette, no pot, no partying, any making out was not obtrusive...or any of my business.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
People usually don't make out, drink, and smoke 420 in regular movie theaters. But doing that in your car is another story. So, sorry, don't think the reasons I put forward are pretty stupid. I may be mistaken, but not stupid.
You dont need the pretense of going to a movie to do that. Making out in the theater it's as cliche as making out at a drive in and has been appropriately satired ("you made out in Schindlers List!")

Some do sneak booze into a theater.

Some "420" ( another idiotic phrase, btw) before going in our just bring in any type of ingestible.

The drive in as den of teenage and young adult vice it's a throwback to a stereotype and time that died in the 70a

You don't need the pretense of being holed up in your car at a movie to get away with anything these days ...., haven't in a long, long time

Old 01-02-2016, 03:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Yes, some are still around. I understand the owners are struggling to keep profits coming in and movie selection that will fit those reels. Converting to newer projection methods would cost ~ $300 - $500K.

MSR

Old 01-02-2016, 04:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
There are a couple novelty drive-in theaters left in the Twin Cities area in the far outer-ring suburbs. No idea how on earth they're still in business.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:04 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
We've got two. The cooler thing are the "swim-in" theaters; hotel swimming pool lounges that are set up for movie showings during the summer.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
There's one in Goochland VA.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
I wonder how many exist in the USA.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
Quote:
I wonder how many exist in the USA.
I couldn't find a complete list but maybe we could all add on to this Wikipedia list (has United States and Australia only for now)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.