Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:44 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Does Richmond and VA Beach have a lot of northern transplants?
VA Beach is a big military center so there are people from all over. Richmond has some Northern transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
That whole corridor from Virginia Beach/Norfolk going up through Richmond and ending at DC has many transplants. The Richmond area probably has the least, though. I can't imagine you'd find many transplants in areas like Petersburg, in particular. Still, Richmond definitely has transplants.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I've met people from Alabama who won't even consider North Carolina to be southern. It's ridiculous, but true.
This IS true. The most common culprits I've met of snobbery ("Deep South Purists") hail from Georgia.

As to the question: Oklahoma is more Southern and more homogeneous throughout the whole state, but extreme southern Virginia is extremely Southern laced in the cultural sense. Only Southeastern Oklahoma, say Antlers to Idabel (which is similar to northern Louisiana) could come close to the Southernness of southern Virginia. To reiterate, Oklahoma, because of significantly less transplantation, is much more homogeneous, a mixture of the cultures of Texas and Arkansas, primarily.

Final Analysis: Oklahoma (and I think somebody else mentioned Arkansas) and Virginia are Southern, just in different ways. Oklahoma is more of a Southern and Western hybrid, SOUTHWest as opposed to SouthWEST (NM, AZ). (The "Midwest" appellation to Oklahoma is the least accurate, by the way. Culturally, Oklahoma is Southwestern, Southern, Western, and South-Central before it is Midwestern, which is Kansas and points north and east.) Virginia, while very Southern leaning in some parts, has alot of eastern influence because of transplantation and its proximity to the Northeast.

Oklahoma nor Virginia are the Deep South. It's not that hard. There are gradations of Southernness, Oklahoma and Virginia qualify for different reasons, but neither is Southern like Georgia, Bammer, or South Carolina.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-03-2016 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
Depends on how you define "Southern," whether that's historically, culturally, as a voting bloc, etc.

Virginia is probably the way the South used to be, but Oklahoma is closer to what the South has become. At least if you're referring to politics and lifestyle. Then again, Virgnia might well represent the future of the South as more and more Northerners view it as a desirable place to live. I expect we'll see a growing identity crisis and cultural clash in states like North Carolina and Georgia and even South Carolina and Tennessee. They'll still be Southern, but it'll be a New Southern.
^^^
This.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Being from the great lakes, I don't see OK as being Midwestern, I see it as southern, and very southern at that, mixed with south western.

With regards to Virginia, the answer will be it depends what part. NoVA (DC suburbs), absolutely not.

The rest of Virginia, absolutely.

So I will say it depends.

Good to hear a bonafied Midwesterner set it straight!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Significant or not but...

The US South 66% Protestant 14% Catholic
Oklahoma 67% Protestant 11% Catholic
Virginia 61% Protestant 18% Catholic
For the U.S. South, I bet a HUGE chunk of the 14% catholic piece comes from Florida and Texas. Factor out Florida and Texas, and it looks to me like both Virgina and possibly oklahoma are noticeably more catholic than the rest of south.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:50 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
VA Beach is a big military center so there are people from all over. Richmond has some Northern transplants.
That fits with my experiences. I knew a couple of transplants from the Richmond area in Atlanta, and they appeared very southern. But I have a good friend in Tampa from Virginia beach who didn't come off as southern at all.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
For the U.S. South, I bet a HUGE chunk of the 14% catholic piece comes from Florida and Texas. Factor out Florida and Texas, and it looks to me like both Virgina and possibly oklahoma are noticeably more catholic than the rest of south.
South Louisiana also.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This IS true. The most common culprits I've met of snobbery ("Deep South Purists") hail from Georgia.
From my perspective, more of them seem to come from the two core Deep South states of Mississippi and Alabama.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Definitely Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.