Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Thank you for clarifying. I believe the Census groups the four of us together, but then again I don't necessarily agree with the Census groupings... Especially on that 2015 estimates thread that's gotten a ton of replies now. Texas in particular seems to have different growth patterns and it's huge population tends to skew it for NM and AZ with that grouping. I personally think Texas could even be it's own group, it's diverse and large enough for that.

Heck even New Mexico and Arizona have a lot of differences. I may even argue that Arizona is more similar to Nevada at this point as far as culture, but that's for another time.

To be on topic with the thread, I don't know the answer to this. But I did spend some time in D.C. and NOVA and that didn't feel Southern at all, at least when compared to Orlando and New Orleans.
The Census places Oklahoma in the "West South Central" with Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana.

There are many maps, however, which seem to group Oklahoma/Texas with Arizona and New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
You have to give Virginia some credit with all the Confederate history (Robert E. Lee, Richmond) when Oklahoma wasn't even a state during the Civil War, but it's definitely a popular opinion that Virginia metros have lost a lot of southern flavor over the years. Still, it also depends on where you're from. When I went to Oklahoma City, it didn't strike me as remotely southern at all. Tulsa seemed more so, but not on the same level as Richmond. Then again, I'm from Raleigh.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
You have to give Virginia some credit with all the Confederate history (Robert E. Lee, Richmond) when Oklahoma wasn't even a state during the Civil War, but it's definitely a popular opinion that Virginia metros have lost a lot of southern flavor over the years. Still, it also depends on where you're from. When I went to Oklahoma City, it didn't strike me as remotely southern at all. Tulsa seemed more so, but not on the same level as Richmond. Then again, I'm from Raleigh.
I absolutely do; God rest his soul.

Oklahoma, while a territory, among others was perhaps most influenced by the South. All of my ancestors which fought in the Civil War were Grey Coats hailing from North Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi.

Virginia's problem is just that it has been subjected to so much transplantation. It seems like the overwhelming majority on this thread have opted for Oklahoma. I'm sure that's because of NOVA. No doubt.

Also, I do agree with you that Tulsa feels more Southern than OK City, which has the feel of a Southwestern city too, kinda like a more Southern version of Amarillo. Once you get outside of the Tulsa and OK City metros the Southern culture becomes quite prominent, as some on here have mentioned.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Oklahoma is more south-western, while parts if Virginia are more old South, while much of it is more eastern in attitude. The western part is more like east Tennessee.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Oklahoma is more south-western, while parts if Virginia are more old South, while much of it is more eastern in attitude. The western part is more like east Tennessee.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Haven't been to either (though I live 45 minutes from the Oklahoma border) but I'd say Virginia, particularly for geography. When I think of "the south" I think of lots of trees, not a lot of rolling plains like in much of OK and TX.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:23 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
I've only been to the tourist area's Washington and Virginia Beach, but when vacationing I never felt like I was in the South

Old 01-26-2016, 09:42 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I've only been to the tourist area's Washington and Virginia Beach, but when vacationing I never felt like I was in the South
Yeah, the NoVA area surrounding DC and coastal Virginia are the least Southern parts of the state. I imagine somewhere like Ronoake feels very much like the South.

I've never been to Oklahoma's panhandle, but I know the Texas panhandle is culturally similar to much of Oklahoma. Amarillo and OKC are very similar places. You have to get into New Mexico, where the population is historically more Catholic than Baptist, before you really start seeing a cultural change.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yeah, the NoVA area surrounding DC and coastal Virginia are the least Southern parts of the state. I imagine somewhere like Ronoake feels very much like the South.

I've never been to Oklahoma's panhandle, but I know the Texas panhandle is culturally similar to much of Oklahoma. Amarillo and OKC are very similar places. You have to get into New Mexico, where the population is historically more Catholic than Baptist, before you really start seeing a cultural change.
Eastern New Mexico is pretty Baptist though.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:58 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Eastern New Mexico is pretty Baptist though.
Being Baptist doesn't make a place Southern. Is it a Southern influence? Yes but that's all it is by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.