Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
My first house was smaller, built in 1929 with three bedrooms and one bath. My bedroom was the upper one at the top of a small half-staircase. It was only wired with one outlet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I agree with you guys. Ill try to get one bigger house, say 2000-2500 living square feet would be nice. If I cant afford or cant find this size, ill buy a smaller one and another in the near future when I start running out of room. My parents used to joke that all the stuff I collect, they need two houses for it all. I guess they were serious LOL
I hate to say it, but it's true: there's a 99% chance you will someday get married (or at least live with someone) and she will throw away a lot of your stuff, if you have too much and it is cluttering things up...you might want to consider getting a house with a big shed in the back, for you only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
I work from home. I checked those houses and the ceilings appear to be about 7-8 feet high which is normal. Theres no windchill so heating to 50 means 50. If people can go outside in 0 degrees, 50 degrees isnt a problem for them. I will need to build tolerance to the cold and its a cold day today(as far as south Florida goes) How cold is it now in your neck of the woods? 65 degrees is very comfy for you guys, Im not sure if I want to waste money heating to 65!

Why turn the heat higher in the winter? How much is your monthly heating bills? Must be insane 120 degrees is a state record. That is most unusual because it doesnt get anywhere near that hot in my neck of the woods. Hottest I think was 103. 120 degrees would literally cook you! I would not even go outside in 120 degrees, thats how hot it gets in a closed parked car, its so hot I cant even touch anything and the air feels like an oven! I have to open the doors, turn the a/c on and wait a few minutes for the car to cool before I can get in! How can it get so hot in your state? Its a much higher latitude than Florida or some other southern state! I have been up north on vacation and I remember it went to 89 in Toronto(summer of couse) that must have been a record! I wonder how many people melted, not being used to such heat like I am!

Its crazy you need a/c in the summer and heat in the winter! I have never been in a place that was both, it was either or. In Florida you only need a/c and up north where I visited you only need heat, never a/c. I dont think those houses up north even come with a/c. Some people have installed central a/c or a window unit for the rare occasion they use it. I will check the weather for Oil city. Ok its 29 and feels like 29. But that is a low. The highs are between 40 and 50, the lows about 10 degrees less. I checked my city in s. FL and its 48, feels like 43.(13mph wind) so Oil city is only 19 degrees colder comparing both lows. The high today was 66 vs. 44. Thats 22 degrees less. They do predict south FL to heat up next week. I have another thread that shows factually why Oil city is 23 degrees colder than Palm Beach county. I think this is something I can get used to and deal with. The highs of 40 to 50 in Oil city isnt cold enough to need heating. Its 48 here now yet its 75 in my bedroom and 72 downstairs(heat rises) So in Oil city without heat, I expect it to be only a few degrees cooler than in Florida. At night subtract another 10 degrees and ill end up at about 60 indoors unheated. Heat is like burning money so I wont touch it unless it gets below 45-50 indoors. Gonna have to be a very cold winter night outside for that to happen.

As for converting an attic to bedrooms, I noticed most houses have ceilings 4 to 8 feet high. When I buy one, id prefer the highest point to be at least 6 feet so the average person can stand up strait Do attics have the same floor square footage as the first and second floor? If so, this will add 1.5x more living space to the house! I could turn a 3/1 house into 5/2 by adding 2 beds, 1 bath in the attic! The larger houses with 5/2 can become 9/3!
Ill probably leave the basement alone, it doesnt sound like a great place to sleep in analogous to car garages(unless converted) The attic, depending on size and depending how big you want the bedrooms you can add anywhere from 0 to 8 bedrooms, 0 to 4 bathrooms! Most houses ive seen, the attic is good for 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom more for the smaller houses, 3/1 more for the medium houses and 4-6/2-3 more for the very large houses. Ive noticed most old houses come with only a single bathroom, todays houses generally come with at least 3 bathrooms! Ours has 4 beds, 5 bath!

I am not interested in marriage and will be living alone so I have the whole house to myself and all the privacy I want. No one to bark orders or touch my stuff!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
Quote:
I am not interested in marriage and will be living alone so I have the whole house to myself and all the privacy I want. No one to bark orders or touch my stuff!

Women don't like to believe that not all straight guys are in to the wife 2.5 kids SUV and a barking dog in the backyard thing.

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2006 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Women don't like to believe that not all straight guys are in to the wife 2.5 kids SUV and a barking dog in the backyard thing.

Women are much more interested in marriage and children, men think differently, some even get dragged into a marriage they never intended. Theres so many divorces its just crazy! To get back on topic:

Theres quite a few spacious houses in Oil city, Franklin and Johnstown PA. Therefore I may go with one bigger house(2000-2500 feet) Oil city is my top choice. Johnstown looks nice and I would choose that instead but the crime is too high, 4x higher than Oil city!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
NA, yup, you can find very affordable houses in parts of the north. Could I ask you~do you work from home? The more affordable houses are in small towns and they don't normally have many jobs. If you have your own business, that would work out fine for you. Yea, heat rises, but you'd just have to pay a lot more to heat so much space if you have high ceilings. But remember, there's something about the coldness of winter and heating your house to 50 won't work. The cold winds that come down from Canada are REALLY cold and if there's snow on the ground it's awfully cold, too. Right now we're not near to having the cold snap of winter and we heat our house at 65 and we wear long pants, a t shirt plus a hooded sweatshirt in the house. When winter really gets here, we'll have the heat on 68 and we'll still need full clothing. Most people up here, especially men also wear thermals for a few months a year. I've been to Fla. and it's so nice and warm there. (Almost too hot sometimes) It'll take a while for you to acclimate to the northern weather. When my extended family come here, they're freezing and that can be in late Sept. I know you're thinking about Ohio and WV and since I've never been to either state, I can't really comment. But summers do get very hot in parts of the north. As you know, I live in So. Dak. and one of our area towns hit 120 this summer. It tied the old record for our state. We don't have the humidity of Fla., but we do have humidity, too. In our area, you can have many summer days that you reach the 90s and 100s so we do use AC a lot during the summer. We do have the benefit of not having to run AC at night except during the July/Aug. heat of summer. When you check the weather in the area you plan on moving to, be sure to check the windchill or "feels like" temp. Right now it's 25 degrees here, but the windchill makes it feel like 13. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Same here, I keep the house at 65F max, but usually turn it down to 60F at night. I have to wear sweatpants or some kind of long pants and an indoor zip up sweater to be comfortable in the house. And I noticed how you say you turn the heat up to 68F in the winter...isn't that funny... I thought it was just my imagination, but in the middle of winter, I have to turn it up a few degrees more as well or the house feels too cold! There must be a reason for that that makes sense! I just don't see the logic of it yet...but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy

Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post

I hate to say it, but it's true: there's a 99% chance you will someday get married (or at least live with someone) and she will throw away a lot of your stuff, if you have too much and it is cluttering things up...you might want to consider getting a house with a big shed in the back, for you only!
Christina..you cracked me up. I'm not sure if you thought I meant one outlet for the bedroom or the house! I meant there was only one outlet in my upstairs bedroom and it was the original socket too! So I put an outlet board into it to hook up my alarm, two bedroom lamps, etc. The rest of the house had other outlets...lol

Well, needs_affordable can always have a pre-nup drafted if he ever changes his mind to protect his "stuff"... But then...she might retaliate by spreading make-up and perfume and female products stuff over all the bathroom counters and colonizing any closet space... ! It's a vicious world out there!!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
NA, what do you mean by "Oil City"? Are you referring to Tulsa?

Your wanna know something more ironic then having to use both heat and AC? We've used both in the same 24 hour period. Yea, 120 is pretty hot. The record for our state was previously set in Gann Valley in possibly the 30s???? This summer it was 120 in Usta. Wish I could provide a link for you, but there's got to be some info about it out there somewhere.

I'm still trying to find out how much of a temp difference there was in the one day we were talking about. It was just totally unreal.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
NA, what do you mean by "Oil City"? Are you referring to Tulsa?

Your wanna know something more ironic then having to use both heat and AC? We've used both in the same 24 hour period. Yea, 120 is pretty hot. The record for our state was previously set in Gann Valley in possibly the 30s???? This summer it was 120 in Usta. Wish I could provide a link for you, but there's got to be some info about it out there somewhere.

I'm still trying to find out how much of a temp difference there was in the one day we were talking about. It was just totally unreal.

Oil city is in the state of PA. You told me about that. Its crazy that its so hot in the day and cools to freezing at night! 120 is not "pretty hot" try "omg im mellllllllllllllting hot!!!!!!!!!" We have never gotten much past 100. At 120, it will be a state of emergency and stores, schools and jobs will be closed and people ordered to stay indoors with the a/c up. Anyone without a/c will be told to go to emergency shelters pronto! I have a thread where heat is deadlier than cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.