Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 06:53 AM

55 posts, read 205,221 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Just looking for some input on a move my husband and I might be making. As long as we sell or rent our house in NH and my husband finds a job we can move elsewhere.

I grew up in New Hampshire and I am looking to experience a place totally different. I do like a somewhat small town feel, mild or warm winters (little to no snow), I would probably do better with a dry heat, I do like the ocean but also enjoy mountains. We are also looking for an area with decent jobs in the IT field. My husband is a Manager of Software development at Liberty mutual. He could transfer within liberty but only to Seattle,WA or Northern Oregon.

I think I would like New Mexico but the job market doesn't look so good. We do have a two year old daughter. Houston looks like a good job market as well as Austin. Maybe Pheonix just not sure of the heat. I did visit once in July and the heat wasn't too bad.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Phoenix, Houston, and Austin are all good places. If you plan on living in the suburbs, go with Phoenix. As for the heat...it's hard to complain about the heat when you've suffered through so much cold and snow. Houston is humid and you said you would do better with a dry heat...just something to keep in mind. There are places throughout the Southeast that meet your other criteria but they are humid. If you can find a job in New Mexico, that would be a good option too (but some places in New Mexico are colder than you would expect, you should look into Southern New Mexico if you want warmth).

Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default My husband is in IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Phoenix, Houston, and Austin are all good places. If you plan on living in the suburbs, go with Phoenix. As for the heat...it's hard to complain about the heat when you've suffered through so much cold and snow. Houston is humid and you said you would do better with a dry heat...just something to keep in mind. There are places throughout the Southeast that meet your other criteria but they are humid. If you can find a job in New Mexico, that would be a good option too (but some places in New Mexico are colder than you would expect, you should look into Southern New Mexico if you want warmth).
He knows a former coworker from NY, who now lives in Vegas, who told him many of the California software firms are now hiring consultants in Vegas. They telecommute and only occasionally make the trip to Ca. for meetings.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the tip! We'll have to look into that. I hadn't really thought about living near Las Vegas. I just thought jobs were better in Phoenix. I do like the fact that Las Vegas is a little cooler in the summer.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 PM

Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyrose View Post
Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone!
I have found the culture in the Pacific Northwest to be somewhat similar to New England. It might be a fairly large adjustment to move to a city in the sunbelt that has a very different culture.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
I can tell you that New Mexico's economy is doing better than NV,AZ or CA. Outside of ABQ Hewlitt Packard is opening something up that is going to employee a good amount of people, Im just not sure what its all about and the weather here in the ABQ area is actually pretty nice, I thought it was going to be colder when I moved here but it actually feels warmer here than where I came from even though the highs were higher over there.Maybe its the lack of wind here.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks Desert Sun. We just have to see what he can find for jobs. New Mexico's climate looks really nice!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
NM has a very arid climate, but the southern part of the state is generally much warmer than the north. The colder spots are Taos, and Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.