Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Not exactly sure what you're looking for but you should check out South Carolina. It has yet to be saturated by transplants
But it's getting there! The Carolinas are currently the new 'target' for northerners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
But it's getting there! The Carolinas are currently the new 'target' for northerners
Oh, without a doubt, It's most likely the future. That said, North Carolina is recieving most of the transplants as of right now. I think after Raleigh and Charlotte are no longer the newest trend, cities like Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Greensboro, etc will start to see the same thing.

I'm personally not against the process, any American has the right to live anywhere in the U.S. they wish. Plus, it will be a boost to SC's economy (which is already growing)

Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Again the only reason this discomforts me somewhat is that if I moved down there that I'd run into many of the same problems I'm trying to get away from here.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Again the only reason this discomforts me somewhat is that if I moved down there that I'd run into many of the same problems I'm trying to get away from here.
True-as long as the transplants dont try to transform the Carolinas into New Jersey version 3.0 (Fl is 2.0)

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
True-as long as the transplants dont try to transform the Carolinas into New Jersey version 3.0 (Fl is 2.0)
Well, that is the way it is headed. For example, referring to NC and SC as "the Carolinas." We are not "the Carolinas" (and not dissing you DecafDave - everyone is saying this these days). NC is very different from SC and the natives are amazed that we are being lumped together as if we were one state.

Charlotte is oversaturated already. Don't get me wrong - I am meeting wonderful people who have relocated here and I know some of them will remain lifelong friends. But along w/ the professionals who have moved here w/ a job, or the retirees who have moved here w/ some resources and a pension, there has been this huge influx of unskilled workers who are creating a strain on our social system, as they can't find jobs . . . and they are angry b/c they are competing w/ "locals" for those positions. We are amazed at that attitude - why should someone expect to move here and "take away" a job from a local who has been paying taxes here for decades?

Our taxes are going up b/c the strain on our infrastructure is necessitating the money be pumped into expanding roads and schools. Meanwhile, we hear all the newcomers complaining about everything from the crowding THEY CREATED to the food (where is our NY style pizza?? Uh. DUH. Up North where you left it!!!) Again, despite my aggravation at the attitudes, we are glad to see new restaurants spring up - we welcome anyone who comes here w/ an enterprise. Bring us your breweries, your bakeries, your restaurants and your delis. However, do not complain about what you left behind as if we Southerners are ignorant hicks b/c our culture does not match up w/ yours. You should have known that b/f you came down here to take advantage of our weather and our lower cost of living.

The thing that most aggravates locals is the arrogant attitude we often have to endure from "the Yankees." We are not yahoos here. We have advanced degrees and are professionals whose families have been here, in many cases, since before the Revolutionary War. Yes, we have our share of blue collar workers, but so does every state and we dont appreciate having them disparaged. We also have farmers and "agribusiness." These are hardworking people and to refer to them as hicks is infuriating. What really gets me is Yankees moving down here, and using atrocious grammar, and then saying "We have ran into people in our neighborhoods w/ kids that talk like hicks and we don't want our kids talking like youse guys's kids." Dear Lord. Where did these people learn to speak? And they are worried their children will have a Southern accent? We are worried our children will pick up the atrocious grammar and lack of ability to put the proper verb form in a sentence. "we have ran?" SIGH.

So yes, the word is out and we are being impacted w/ this wave of transplants. It is what it is and we natives realize that. Just please bring something positive w/ you when you come . . . including a positive attitude (and some humility).

Last edited by brokensky; 02-07-2008 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: edited wording, misspell

Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, that is the way it is headed. For example, referring to NC and SC as "the Carolinas." We are not "the Carolinas" (and not dissing you DecafDave - everyone is saying this these days). NC is very different from SC and the natives are amazed that we are being lumped together as if we were one state.

Charlotte is oversaturated already. Don't get me wrong - I am meeting wonderful people who have relocated here and I know some of them will remain lifelong friends. But along w/ the professionals who have moved here w/ a job, or the retirees who have moved here w/ some resources and a pension, there has been this huge influx of unskilled workers who are creating a strain on our social system, as they can't find jobs . . . and they are angry b/c they are competing w/ "locals" for those positions. We are amazed at that attitude - why should someone expect to move here and "take away" a job from a local who has been paying taxes here for decades?

Our taxes are going up b/c the strain on our infrastructure is necessitating the money be pumped into expanding roads and schools. Meanwhile, we hear all the newcomers complaining about everything from the crowding THEY CREATED to the food (where is our NY style pizza?? Uh. DUH. Up North where you left it!!!) Again, despite my aggravation at the attitudes, we are glad to see new restaurants spring up - we welcome anyone who comes here w/ an enterprise. Bring us your breweries, your bakeries, your restaurants and your delis. However, do not complain about what you left behind as if we Southerners are ignorant hicks b/c our culture does not match up w/ yours. You should have known that b/f you came down here to take advantage of our weather and our lower cost of living.

The thing that most aggravates locals is the arrogant attitude we often have to endure from "the Yankees." We are not yahoos here. We have advanced degrees and are professionals whose families have been here, in many cases, since before the Revolutionary War. Yes, we have our share of blue collar workers, but so does every state and we dont appreciate having them disparaged. We also have farmers and "agribusiness." These are hardworking people and to refer to them as hicks is infuriating. What really gets me is Yankees moving down here, and using atrocious grammar, and then saying "We have ran into people in our neighborhoods w/ kids that talk like hicks and we don't want our kids talking like youse guys's kids." Dear Lord. Where did these people learn to speak? And they are worried their children will have a Southern accent? We are worried our children will pick up the atrocious grammar and lack of ability to put the proper verb form in a sentence. "we have ran?" SIGH.

So yes, the word is out and we are being impacted w/ this wave of transplants. It is what it is and we natives realize that. Just please bring something positive w/ you when you come . . . including a positive attitude (and some humility).

Great post, I agree with much you have said. But when I was referring to "the carolinas" I just used that term because its easier than saying North Carolina and South Carolina. I am completely aware of the differences the 2 states have (I lived in charleston for many years). Then again we are also similar-more so than other states that neighbor each other.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 32,162 times
Most northeastern (let's just get that straight, the north includes everything from the mason-dixon to the arctic) transplants I met when I lived in NC were originally from NYC/Long Island/NJ (and every now and then maybe the Boston area), had moved to Florida for the cheap living, and moved back halfway to NC (gotten tired of the hot weather, I suppose.) We jokingly called them 'half-backs'. Funny thing is, so many northeasterners are moving south, and yet I left the south (where I was born and lived all my life) to move to the northeast. I just never got what was so appealing about NC...

Old 02-07-2008, 07:40 AM

11 posts, read 32,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Meanwhile, we hear all the newcomers complaining about everything from the crowding THEY CREATED to the food (where is our NY style pizza?? Uh. DUH. Up North where you left it!!!)
Or, in Chapel Hill. : ) There's a great place called Brooklyn Pizza (I think...) which had decent NYC slices which were fairly comparable to the real thing.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Great post, I agree with much you have said. But when I was referring to "the carolinas" I just used that term because its easier than saying North Carolina and South Carolina. I am completely aware of the differences the 2 states have (I lived in charleston for many years). Then again we are also similar-more so than other states that neighbor each other.
Everyone says it now. Even our meteorologists. I hope you know I was not pointing a finger at you. And yes, there are many similarities and I wish I could claim Charleston as being here in NC, LOL. One of my favorite spots on earth.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeJ View Post
Most northeastern (let's just get that straight, the north includes everything from the mason-dixon to the arctic) transplants I met when I lived in NC were originally from NYC/Long Island/NJ (and every now and then maybe the Boston area), had moved to Florida for the cheap living, and moved back halfway to NC (gotten tired of the hot weather, I suppose.) We jokingly called them 'half-backs'. Funny thing is, so many northeasterners are moving south, and yet I left the south (where I was born and lived all my life) to move to the northeast. I just never got what was so appealing about NC...
I lived in the Kansas City region for a decade and loved it. I moved back home b/c of job transfer - my parents were getting elderly so time to come back. But I was in no hurry to leave Kansas City. So I know what you mean - had my parents not been here, I would have stayed in KCMO. However, now that I am back here, I do enjoy having the mountains and coast easily accessible - but there was no pull to return b/c of cost of living or quality of life - those factors are very comparable.

And for the record (since an earlier poster asked this) midwesterners are NOT Yankees, altho sometimes I hear CHI people sounding suspiciously like NY/NJ transplants, LOL!!! I was very happy and felt totally at home in the midwest - laid back, good natured people - and a wonderful quality of life.

I guess people are not considering moving to that region b/c of cold weather, but I never minded it - even in blizzards - b/c I had a garage for my car and they keep the streets cleared so well. Kansas City and its surrounding towns and burbs are (I think) a very well=kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.