U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:55 PM

4,242 posts, read 6,172,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
There's quite a rebellion against Florida now, when just a few years ago everyone was extolling the virtues of the state.

I wonder how long other states(names withheld) will have before this happens?
You said exactly what I have thought on this subject. People really need to consider that fact before relocating somewhere. Fast growing states obviously have alot of appeal to them, or there would not be the attraction to move to them in the first place. Downside is as they become more and more overpopulated, severe problems seem to take over. I do think that North Carolina is a state to watch on this subject. Way to many people dissatisfied with their current residence, Florida, the Northeast USA being high on the list and moving to NC. All that population growth could be overwhelming to NC and its infrastructure, making it rapidly into what people are moving away from. Keep that in mind, its not always best to move to the fast growing states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,457 times
You could not have spoken the truth better! And to think you are (were) one of them! It is so bad here in the suburb of Richmond VA, Glen Allen, where I live that I am leaving to raise my kid in the South...west. To get as far away from all of the middle finger, sarcasm, and egoism they bring with them as they infest our humble southern neighborhoods. Many claim to come to raise their kids in a nicer place but forget to be nice and cringe at Southern hospitality as they continue to act like they were still up there, cold and hard like the weather. How does a southern city loose its charm...when it is infested with the "mind your own F'n business" and a make no eye contact, ignore your neighbors attitude from stereotypical "Yankees" especially those coming out NY and NJ. If it is so great up there then go back or simply why leave a good thing? It has been my question for years now but as the problem grows and almost all of my neighbors are now from up there and more moving in each day...I give up...I am moving out west! Hopefully the heat of the desert will be too much for them to bare as I can not bare the crudeness and arrogance of that lot! I also find the Sopranos quite boring as well as tasteless! Yall need to keep that stuff at home! Don't bring it down here, we like manners and saying hey to everyone!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,878,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiseywolfe View Post
You could not have spoken the truth better! And to think you are (were) one of them! It is so bad here in the suburb of Richmond VA, Glen Allen, where I live that I am leaving to raise my kid in the South...west. To get as far away from all of the middle finger, sarcasm, and egoism they bring with them as they infest our humble southern neighborhoods. Many claim to come to raise their kids in a nicer place but forget to be nice and cringe at Southern hospitality as they continue to act like they were still up there, cold and hard like the weather. How does a southern city loose its charm...when it is infested with the "mind your own F'n business" and a make no eye contact, ignore your neighbors attitude from stereotypical "Yankees" especially those coming out NY and NJ. If it is so great up there then go back or simply why leave a good thing? It has been my question for years now but as the problem grows and almost all of my neighbors are now from up there and more moving in each day...I give up...I am moving out west! Hopefully the heat of the desert will be too much for them to bare as I can not bare the crudeness and arrogance of that lot! I also find the Sopranos quite boring as well as tasteless! Yall need to keep that stuff at home! Don't bring it down here, we like manners and saying hey to everyone!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
With your prejudice, stereotyping of, and hate for "yankees" it's no surprise to me that they are nasty back to you.

And Richmond is no bastion of manners, I've done enough work for Capital One there to know.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM

35,168 posts, read 41,673,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
This thread is full of malcontents.

You have the Carolinians (no, I'm not going to make a distinction between North and South since I have never relocated there) who are whining about the "yankees" and especially the NJ/NY/CT yankees who come down and complain about everything, wahhhh.

Then you have those transplants who DO go there and complain about everything. Hey Carolinians, guess what?? You know why they complain about everything there? Because when they lived in Jersey, they complained about everything here!!! And they still do!!! Here is what we hear from those a-holes when they come up to visit: "Oh, Jersey's too expensive! Jersey's too crowded! Jersey sucks, our house in Carolina is much better and nicer and bigger! Our school that our brat little kid goes to in Carolina is much better! We have Krogers which is much better than ShopRite! I never realized how the roads are so crappy in Jersey until I lived in Carolina! Jughandles are stupid! Jersey is so stupid! The Jersey Shore is so stupid, it's overcrowded and filthy! How can you stand to live here? Carolina is much much better!"

So it's no surprise to me that they sit there in Carolina whining and unsatisfied. Why is it a surprise to you? What, did you think you were getting the people from here that know how to appreciate what they have? Those people wouldn't feel a need to move down there. Of course you're going to get all the malcontents and whiners and complainers. That's all those people are. There are a few, very few, who make the move with a level head and realize they are gaining benefits by moving while giving up certain things by moving. Those are the ones who don't complain down there and who don't come back to visit NJ and criticize NJ. There are some. But the vast majority are whiners and complainers and malcontents. I am glad they are out of our state, but I feel bad for you to have to deal with them now. Although, considering the crappy way you characterize us, maybe it serves you right to have to take in the malcontents. Good luck with that.

As for Florida - Florida does not count as the South, and Northern migration to Florida is what built Florida in the first place, unlike the more recent migrations of Northerners to the "new south". Florida's bottom half would scarcely exist today if not for Flagler, a northerner, who built the railroad from NY to Key West, and developed and settled South Florida. Northerners populated South Florida from the time it was first developed, before Southerners. From that grew Florida's wealth and strength. Florida, especially South Florida, has always belonged to the North, culturally. Northerners moving to Florida would be no different than someone moving from Brooklyn to New Jersey - one northern area to another, really.
LOVE YOUR POST!!!!

Interestingly, one of my dear friends who moved here to Charlotte from NJ said almost exactly the same thing to me! And she was hoping to come to NC to get away from all the whining and complaining - but she is surrounded by others from NY, NJ and Long Island. Seems the LI people often (notice - I did not say ALWAYS) are the ones complaining the most/loudest about schools, shopping, groceries, restaurants/food, neighborhoods, etc.

My friend told me - "Kvetching is a SPORT in the Northeast!!!"

Dear me. That is the biggest reason Southerners are wary of "Yankees" - we just don't want to hear the whining, complaining and put-downs. We consider it RUDE. And that is why Southerners say - "If you don't like it here, let me give you a map to I-95." It is not that we don't like newcomers - we just find it disconcerting to our peace and harmony to hear all the b$tching about "the way things are" - especially if "the way things are" got that way b/c of a migration of people from NY and NJ, i.e. overcrowded schools, taxes going up, etc.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOVE YOUR POST!!!!

Interestingly, one of my dear friends who moved here to Charlotte from NJ said almost exactly the same thing to me! And she was hoping to come to NC to get away from all the whining and complaining - but she is surrounded by others from NY, NJ and Long Island. Seems the LI people often (notice - I did not say ALWAYS) are the ones complaining the most/loudest about schools, shopping, groceries, restaurants/food, neighborhoods, etc.

My friend told me - "Kvetching is a SPORT in the Northeast!!!"

Dear me. That is the biggest reason Southerners are wary of "Yankees" - we just don't want to hear the whining, complaining and put-downs. We consider it RUDE. And that is why Southerners say - "If you don't like it here, let me give you a map to I-95." It is not that we don't like newcomers - we just find it disconcerting to our peace and harmony to hear all the b$tching about "the way things are" - especially if "the way things are" got that way b/c of a migration of people from NY and NJ, i.e. overcrowded schools, taxes going up, etc.
people are allowed to move where they choose

deal with it

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM

257 posts, read 444,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
people are allowed to move where they choose

deal with it
Yes people are allowed to move where they like, but some people get offended when you put down the place that they grew up in and reside, if we came to New York telling the natives about how we hate the cold winter's or how we can't get a good southern meal anywhere consistently New Yorkers more than likely would feel the same way.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 PM

670 posts, read 940,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
Yes people are allowed to move where they like, but some people get offended when you put down the place that they grew up in and reside, if we came to New York telling the natives about how we hate the cold winter's or how we can't get a good southern meal anywhere consistently New Yorkers more than likely would feel the same way.

Very true. I noticed that people are always going to talk about where they came from every now and then. The thing is not to openly insult your new area because often times, you chose to move there for whatever reason. There is certainly nothing wrong with nissing and yearning for some things back where you came from, but remember to give the new place a chance. You probably will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 PM

149 posts, read 259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Many of those "Northerners" moving to the South were originally Southerners who moved to the North in the 50s and 60s in search of jobs. Now they're retiring and moving back home. Many of their Northern friends are coming, too, because of the lower taxes, milder climate, and closer proximity to the North than Florida.

There are a lot of Northerners who had originally retired to Florida, got sick of the hot weather, crowds, insane regulations, etc., and are moving to places like North Carolina and Tennessee. Because they're moving half-way back to the North, they're referred to as "Half Backs." (Or "Floridiots" because many of them get to the mountains and can't figure out how to drive on the mountain roads; their Florida license plates are a cry for help.)

HAHAHA I see that all the time up here in the TRI. It does seem like we've been getting alot more halfbacks here lately
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.