Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most conservative region that's not The South?
Northeast 1 1.45%
Midwest 24 34.78%
Southwest 13 18.84%
Califronia 0 0%
Pacific Northwest 0 0%
Interior Northwest 33 47.83%
Alaska 7 10.14%
Hawaii 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times

Advertisements

what does conservative mean? votes republican?

the south has the most hedonistic and drinking and sensual cities in the country? new orleans, key west and the keys and miami, charleston, savannah, spring break cities from florida and all over the south? I dont see any of those types of cities like new orleans and the keys anywhere else in the country except for vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
A few Midwestern states are pretty conservative like Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and definitely Oklahoma whether that's Midwestern or southern. These states are more so conservative than others like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Most conservative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
A few Midwestern states are pretty conservative like Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and definitely Oklahoma whether that's Midwestern or southern. These states are more so conservative than others like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, etc.
I'd agree wholeheartedly with you if you were to remove Iowa from your "most conservative" list.
True enough the far western portion of the state is pretty bright red & the Republican side of the Iowa Caucus event has come to be dominated by evangelicals & conservatives but the overall voting record of the state for the past 30 years or so, diverges sharply way from it's very conservative neighbors in the Great Plains to the west of Iowa as well as from that of Missouri on it's southern border.

Last edited by atler8; 01-12-2016 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I'd agree wholeheartedly with you if you were to remove Iowa from your "most conservative" list.
True enough the far western portion of the state is pretty bright red & the Republican side of the Iowa Caucus event has come to be dominated by evangelicals & conservatives but the overall voting record of the state for the past 30 years or so, diverges sharply way from it's very conservative neighbors in the Great Plains to the west of Iowa as well as from that of Missouri on it's southern border.
I was always under the impression that rural Iowa outside Des Moines was always pretty conservative, but I'll take your word.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Well plenty of conservatism can be found in rural areas of Iowa but it varies widely, sometimes even sharply between adjacent counties as can be seen in voting records.
The rural vote as a percentage of Iowa's total vote has diminished sharply though in recent decades & the state is a far cry from it's former conservative self. The rise of urban areas that now dominate the state & it's vote total has probably been the pre-eminent factor in that change.
Nevertheless, nothing is set in stone & voting patterns can & do shift.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:57 PM

699 posts, read 610,675 times
When I think of truly conservative places outside the South, I think of the Great Plains, and Interior West.

Places like North/South Dakota, Kansas, Oklahoma (Great Plains) along with Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah, Idaho (Interior West). Colorado and New Mexico are kind of exceptions to this rule, for different reasons.

Some people mentioned Appalachia, but I consider places like Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina to be part of the South.

The midwest ranges from light red to light blue, with most areas being purple.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I agree with this list except Iowa, it's surprisingly progressive and tolerant. It's more conservative in the western/northwestern areas, but that's very sparsely populated. Most of the population is to the east, and even the rural areas are progressive thinking, there's a reason Sanders of giving Iowa a run for its money and Iowa firmly embraced Obama in the 2008 caucuses.

I saw this list:

1839 - Territorial Supreme Court: man could not be sent back into slavery "re: Ralph," WL 2764, at *6 (Iowa Terr. July 1839) "no man in this territory can be reduced to slavery." (US - 1865 after Civil War)

1851 – Iowa General Assembly: removed ban on inter-racial marriage (1967 US)

1851 – Iowa "Code of 1851:" gave married women property rights

1855 - The University of Iowa opened its doors as the first state university in America to admit men and women on an equal basis.

1857 - Iowa Constitution included African-Americans 'same rights' as every citizen

1867 – Iowa Supreme Court: broke with 'common law' that men would get absolute custody of children in divorce; "Cole v Cole"

1868 - Iowa Supreme Court: school desegregation case -- a 12-year-old girl could not be barred from a Muscatine school on basis of race

1869 - Iowa Supreme Court: Arabella Mansfield could not be barred from practicing law due to gender. She became the first female lawyer in US.

1873 – Iowa Supreme Court: Emma Coger, mixed race woman, could not be denied eating privileges in steam boat 'whites only' dining room.

1875 – Historic First: Emma Haddock, first female lawyer to practice in US Federal courts

1879 - Law alumnus G. Alexander Clark is believed to be the first African American in the nation to earn a law degree.

1884 – Iowa General Assembly: civil rights law enacted (racial)

1884 – Historic First: Jennie McCowen, first US woman medical graduate (U.I.)

1920 – Historic First: (Iowa General Assembly?) When women got the vote, Iowa also made them eligible for jury service (most states still didn't allow this for a decade or more)

1924 -- Native Americans given right to vote.

1965 –1969 US Supreme Court - Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District: Freedom of speech includes black arm bands protesting the war in Vietnam.

1970 – Iowa General Assembly: no-fault divorce (one of first in nation laws)

1971 – Adel High School's (anti) Long Hair rule at school is unconstitutional (district court) Boys can wear their hair long.

1976 - Iowa Supreme Court: sodomy laws violate "equal protection" clause (Legislation: Iowa struck down all sodomy laws in 1978; US in 2003)

Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
The Lower half of the Midwest (Lower Midwest and Upper Midwest should've been 2 separate choices)

Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
These places. along with Nevada and Montana, are high for individualism, but lower for traditional values. They are more Libertarian.
I lived in UT for six years, and now in ID for over 1.5 years, so I cannot agree with views on ID and UT. UT is very conservative outside of SLC and Moab. ID is like UT in the southern and eastern part of the state. Boise tends to be more liberal, and the northern ID tends to sway conservative with some identifying with MT and WA.
The days of the ID militia are pretty much over with.

Also consider CO west of the rockies. Denver to Boulder is almost a small CA now

Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Socially, politically, and culturally, the most conservative region in the U.S. Is arguably Appalachia, which runs from southern (?) New York State down through northern Alabama, and thus spans several geographic regions.
It's pretty conservative, but I think Oklahoma gives it a run for its money. Appalachia has a few liberal outposts like Asheville for instance.

The Southwest is Republican but not necessarily conservative. Phoenix is a red city, but Christian fundamentalism is pretty low there and a lot of people have more of a libertarian attitude on social issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.