Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:31 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times

Advertisements

Farthest East Point - Albany, NY
Farthest West Point - Duluth, MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 03:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I do include Baltimore and Philadelphia as part of the Rust Belt. Not sure about Newark or the many declining New Jersey communities like Union City or Asbury Park.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:14 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Newark was a big part of the rust belt, along with most of north Jersey. I gues now its probably considered post-rustbelt.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
When I think of the rust belt I typically think of the Great Lakes region. Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh would be the quintessential rust belt cities. I know most of Ohio and much of PA is considered rust belt as well. I guess from central PA to eastern Iowa for me.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
As a NJ native I 100% consider our cities to be part of the rust belt. Trenton used to be a huge steel hub.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
When I think of the rust belt I typically think of the Great Lakes region. Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, and Pittsburgh would be the quintessential rust belt cities. I know most of Ohio and much of PA is considered rust belt as well. I guess from central PA to eastern Iowa for me.

Great lakes cities were big in the automobile industry, which a lot of people fixate on as rust belt, but it was much more than that. Pittsburgh isn't considered to be in the great lakes region typically, and wasn't very associated to the car industry, but was of course rust belt, maybe even the center of the rust belt. Almost all of PA is/was part of the rust belt, think places like Allentown too. Philly and Camden definitely. Baltimore definitely.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
The only places in Iowa that feel like they're part of the Rust Belt are the cities along the Mississippi, and the larger ones (Dubuque and Davenport/Bettendorf) seem clearly on the upswing. Industry was never that big a part of the state's economy.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
As a NJ native I 100% consider our cities to be part of the rust belt. Trenton used to be a huge steel hub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Farthest East Point - Albany, NY
Farthest West Point - Duluth, MN
Perhaps, I don't think there is a real definition of where the rustbelt is or was, or for that matter still is.

Personally I tend to see the true rust belt as further west, the big cities in the Midwest and surrounding areas, including parts of Canada.

Trenton and Albany
Trenton and Albany in contrast were old trading hubs (especially Albany) built at tidewater where ships can come in. They then became state capitols. So there may have been factories in and around these cities but the majority of the economy revolved around trade, transportation and government. This in contrast to some of the rust belt factory towns where sometimes the making of a single product or two would dominate the local economy.

Port Cities and Mill Towns
It is also true that some of the smaller cities in New Jersey have factories, but some of them are more port cities or mill towns than rustbelt. Mill towns usually were powered by water and developed earlier than the later rustbelt.

Here is a list of mill towns in New Jersey, which btw I believe is very incomplete (for instance where is Paterson as well as the entire state of Pennsylvania?) so I believe there are more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_town#Mid-Atlantic (Mid-Atlantic mill towns)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_town#New_England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_town#South

Old 09-12-2018, 03:49 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
One area that's hard to classify as Rust Belt or no would be rural southern West Virginia and also the WV cities of Charleston and Huntington as the Kanawha Valley used to have a lot of industry. It still does but far less so now, and the coal industry has also suffered tremendously, though this began with the War on Coal which started much later than the industrial losses in most of the Rust Belt.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
Always of thought rust belt being west of i-95 since most of the cities on i-95 were pretty established well before the 1800s. Baltimore has rust belt tendencies, but is pretty far south and too far east from the core rust belt reigon. One thing I've noticed about the rust belt is that they mostly refer to soda as pop which is the opposite of cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia and Newark. West of the Appalachian mountains, East of the Mississippi and North of the Ohio River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.