Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:47 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I agree. Most racists of the north are closet racists. It just amazed me moving here. I thought they loved everybody. What a joke, they just leave the noose laying around so nobody knows who they are. Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!
When Lincoln delivered his "Emancipation Proclamation" in 1863, is championed because it declared the freedom of slaves from Confederate states that had escaped to the Union. However, it conveniently did NOT free slaves that were already present in Union states. If you are a kid attending an elementary school in a Union state, as I was (in my case New Jersey) this fact was conveniently left out of the curriculum. Yet, there were slaves in Massachusetts, New York, etc. Vermont was the only state to have in its constitution that slavery was a banned practice.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,855 times
There are racists everywhere from all sides. End of conversation.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Here's my opinion:

PLEASE KNOCK IT OFF WITH THREADS THAT NECESSARILY PUT PEOPLE ON THE DEFENSIVE ABOUT THEIR OWN CITY/STATE/REGION/WHATEVER, especially on such subjective/unquantifiable and obviously controversial topics as racism. Nothing constructive comes out of them and it seems like little more than voyeurism and/or pot-stirring.

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM

59 posts, read 276,788 times
Racism is a big problem. Pretending it doesn't exist, cutting off conversations about it, dictating what threads can and can't be posted -- not helpful. But very controlling, certainly. YUCK.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM

409 posts, read 1,504,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCajun View Post
Racism is a big problem. Pretending it doesn't exist, cutting off conversations about it, dictating what threads can and can't be posted -- not helpful. But very controlling, certainly. YUCK.
I agree. Nothing but positive insight seems to have come from this thread. Isn't that the point of an open internet forum in the first place?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCajun View Post
There are ways to discuss the topic without inviting people to put entire states under a microscope. As for "dictating what threads can and can't be posted" -- this is a moderated, topic-delineated forum. There is a time and place for discussions like this, and that's why there's a separate "Politics and Other Controversies" forum here.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Any red state (conservative states) you are more likely to find an abnormal amount of racist people.

Not really....I lived in Connecticut (blue state), from 2000-2004 and encountered just as meany racist as I do here in Texas (red state).

Racism is everywhere!!! Sad to say that even in 2008, but its true!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 PM

409 posts, read 1,504,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There are ways to discuss the topic without inviting people to put entire states under a microscope. As for "dictating what threads can and can't be posted" -- this is a moderated, topic-delineated forum. There is a time and place for discussions like this, and that's why there's a separate "Politics and Other Controversies" forum here.
To some this may be controversial, to some this topic may be uninteresting, to others it is a interesting and debatable topic. This thread was posted under "general US" and this is a "general US" topic. Of course this is just my opinion and I thought that is what this is all about.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,269 times
IMO, the only part about this topic that is in poor taste (and what I think Drover was really trying to hit on) is that the title topic is a tad leading and possibly even intentionally so in order to reinforce regiocentric stereotypes (red states are racist, blue states are not which is little more than saying my people are better than yours).

A more generic topic title that specified more than "opinion" would lead to realistic discussion of the problem of racism in this country. Perhaps, "Where have you seen or personally experienced racism in America."

Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 PM

54 posts, read 200,779 times
AL, MS, TX, IL-. There's a lot of racial tension in Illinois. I've gotten a lot of racially motivated mean mugging/dirty looks when venturing into all white/majority white neighborhoods. I've had other experiences too but I'm not going to go into them because I know they'll be brushed off or picked apart. I've been black for 20 something years now, I'm well aware of what racism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.