Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,889,678 times

Advertisements

no seriously though:

NYC
DC
LA

eh, that's pretty much it. I wish I could put Boston on. Hell, I wish I could put Chicago on. But nah, nothing is on league of importance with those 3 even if LA is the end of civilization.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Dude seriously. It's always a Houstoner that starts these stupid threads about which city is the most "important". It's like saying "look at me, look at me!" Everyone here knows that Houston is a large city. They know that it has NASA, a medical center, and a big port. You guys don't have to keep bombarding us with these stupid "important" or "Houston vs." threads to sell us on your city.

Soon someone is going to post that little Gamma World Cities survey that a lot of Houstoners on here seem to have easily accessible in their back pockets. I don't think anyone cares about "importance" anyways. Outside of DC and NYC, there really isn't one city valued over the other!
First off, I'm not a "Houstoner" and second off this had nothing to do with trying to make Houston look better. I just simply think Houston is a really important city and would definatly say it's atleast one of the most important cities in the south if not the most.

You can try and say I'm being biased all you want,but I'm not. I don't even care for Chicago but I atleast put it above Houston as a more important city and more of a "real city". I'm sorry that I didn't include Atlanta,but if it makes you any happier. I'd put it in my top 15

Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,880,923 times
I think people are being too harsh to Houston. I dont think it should be in the top 5 but it should be in the top 10 in the country. Houston has one of the largest ports and has oil and other things. Not to mention its a huge area.

My Top 10:
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Washington, DC
4. Chicago
5. San Fran/Bay Area
6. Miami
7. Houston
8. Detroit
9. Philadelphia
10. Seattle

Old 02-07-2008, 05:20 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,168,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
My Top 10:
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Washington, DC
4. Chicago
5. San Fran/Bay Area
6. Miami
7. Houston
8. Detroit
9. Philadelphia
10. Seattle
I certainly wouldn't put Seattle above Boston.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,766,357 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Washington
5. Miami

Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,335,431 times
I'm not sure I can say there are top 5s...you have to extend that list because some cities are equally important. New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, D.C., and Atlanta in my opinion are the cities that make this nation tick. They are likely are the most important cities in the United States, and I also might have to make room for Seattle here too.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,268,563 times
NYC
LA
Chicago
Washington DC
^ no brainers lol
I don't know... those are really the main ones.
Houston-Major Port
San Jose- Silicone Valley
Atlanta- Major Airport
Dallas(DFW)- Major Airport
Truly being unbiased....all the above tie, they are all important...they're all big in metro...
Atlanta has a busy airport...really busy.
Houston has many companies and is a port.
Dallas is a big destination mostly for the Chinese and has a very busy large airport as well, it also has a miniature silicon valley like Illinois
San Jose is the silicon valley... people all over the world come to just blabber about their genius ideas, for such a liberal area it is the most prime example of Capitalism. :P.. The bay area in general but San Jose has surpassed San Fran in terms of importance to the country IMO... this has nothing to do with population or skyline...

Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,296,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

First off, I'm not a "Houstoner" and second off this had nothing to do with trying to make Houston look better. I just simply think Houston is a really important city and would definatly say it's atleast one of the most important cities in the south if not the most.

You can try and say I'm being biased all you want,but I'm not. I don't even care for Chicago but I atleast put it above Houston as a more important city and more of a "real city". I'm sorry that I didn't include Atlanta,but if it makes you any happier. I'd put it in my top 15
OK...you're a Houstonian.

Frankly, I really don't care how important someone thinks Atlanta is to this country. I DO know that it's not in the same league as the Big 3 including DC and the Bay Area--nor is any other US metro for that matter. Atlanta may or not be important--I don't give a damn. I just like living here and all it offers(except for the traffic of course)

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,457,772 times
NYC (by a f'n mile)
LA
CHI
DC
Boston

Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
OK...you're a Houstonian.

Frankly, I really don't care how important someone thinks Atlanta is to this country. I DO know that it's not in the same league as the Big 3 including DC and the Bay Area--nor is any other US metro for that matter. Atlanta may or not be important--I don't give a damn. I just like living here and all it offers(except for the traffic of course)
I don't live in Houston and never have lived in Houston...lol.

I do agree with what your saying though. I've never though Houston was as important as the Big 3,but still is a very important city and very helpful to the United States economy.So is Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.