Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 PM

15 posts, read 18,174 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are looking for a city to move into but are unsure of where to go. We were hoping posting in this forum would help us get some ideas of places we could consider.

Some facts about us:
We are 24 and 28
I have a Masters in Statistics and need a job in a related field
He has a PhD in Computer Science and needs a job at a University
Would like a location somewhat close to other big cities (2-3 hours?)
Do not want something extremely expensive (especially rent, like NYC, SF)(I am very, very cheap)
Do not want a location with extreme weather (hot or cold, rain is OK)
Would prefer somewhere liberal (we are gay lol)
Would like a city with nice culture (he really likes arts & theater (not me), do not care at all about nightlife)
We like to travel so a location close to an airport would be ideal
Some outdoor scenery would be nice (mountains a plus)
Almost forgot - relatively safe!!

Thank you,
If you need any more information, I would happy to provide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,258,595 times
Sacramento? It gets kinda hot in summer, but it doesn't snow and it's not humid. Good economy. Not as expensive as the other CA cities. Has a university. Liberal. Has an airport. Very close drive to Lake Tahoe.

But do you like urban? Suburban? Rural? What's your price range? Preferred city size (small/medium/large)?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 18,174 times
Sacramento is a place we never considered! Thank you for your suggestion.

Out of urban/suburban/rural we prefer them in this order:
1. Urban
2. Suburban
3. Dead last - Rural

Not sure about price range but a general idea for rent: $1,000 - $2,000 for a 2-bedroom

In terms of city size, we would be willing to consider anything but would prefer medium.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 PM

Raleigh/Durham possibly. Universities. Liberal. Airport. Summers aren't as bad as further south and winters don't get as cold as further north. Appalachians to the west, Atlantic to the east.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,248,567 times
Richmond, VA! We have an airport, within 2 hours of DC, the beach and the mountains, very gay friendly, several universities to choose from, we're an artsy town and cheap! You want to live here!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,141,925 times
It's larger, but philly has a lot to offer.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Richmond, VA! We have an airport, within 2 hours of DC, the beach and the mountains, very gay friendly, several universities to choose from, we're an artsy town and cheap! You want to live here!
I was thinking Richmond too, but idk enough about the city to know if it's liberal enough. But now that you said that, I'd say Richmond is a good option too!

Old 01-28-2016, 11:56 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,943,991 times
Considering your profession, really DC is your best bet. Anybody who is a statistician does well here. In fact you both kind of scream DC. It's high COL though, but not nearly as bad as SF or NYC. The CS is going to do well anywhere.

I would not recommend Richmond at all.

The problem is the rent, the thing is the pay for both of you will more than make up for the higher COL. With that being said...it's not that much higher for your range, and you would end up in a gay friendly neighborhood like Takoma, or just outside the city in downtown Silver Spring, MD or College Park (University of Maryland).

I am going to be flat out, for both of you, your best opportunities are in high COL cities, and you are kind of selling yourself short by not considering them. The pay you will get will more than make up for the rent cost. It really can be the difference between making $100k-$150k combined, and $250k-$300k+. This is not the case for most people, but for you two it is. You really do have to consider the opportunity costs involved.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,210,045 times
DC is the most expensive city in the country along with San Fran. Definitely don't do it to your life.

Raleigh or Charlotte, NC or Richmond, VA. Also Dallas/Ft. Worth the cities are decently liberal I have gay friends here and Austin and Houston are close. And flight everywhere are 2 hours.

Atlanta also very gay friendly and COL is low.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:37 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,588,520 times
Twin Cities meet most of that well (great theater, very nice, accessible airport, liberal), other than the whole "mountains" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.