Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 11:19 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,895,466 times

Advertisements

Perceptions are certainly strong. On here people seem to love Pittsburgh and are lukewarm on Salt Lake City.

Usually two of the biggest things mentioned as negatives for SLC are also (more or less) shared with Pittsburgh, which are air quality and booze laws.

Why do you think that happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 AM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,570 times
Depends on which Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh of 6 years ago that made all of those top ten lists, yes. The Pittsburgh of today, no. This is a much different city. It is far more expensive to live here and not a lot of high paying jobs to support the lifestyle. Plus we are falling behind other cities with light rail service and urban planning. The residents I know are choosing to relocate to the outlying counties when a move comes up instead of staying in Allegheny County. Younger grads are moving to the east coast cities, mainly the Philly/DC corridor.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,332,699 times
I like both. I think the reason people don't hype up Salt Lake City so much is the whole mormon thing and also the fact that it's not transplant heavy. Transplants are starting to move there though, especially in the last 5 years or so.

Today...I think SLC is growing and Pittsburgh is not. SLC has a good Downtown and also some other good neighborhoods, and its light rail system is great. And SLC is very close to the mountains, certainly closer than Denver is.

But I'd rather live in Pittsburgh...I think SLC would be too small for me, and then you got the alcohol laws there. For my kind of lifestyle, SLC would be terrible.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:03 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,344,858 times
What comes to mind.

Pittsburgh: Steel, Industry, Rust Belt, Enthusiastic residents

SLC: Mormons, smell of salt lake, Alta close by

Old 01-31-2016, 04:14 PM

27,888 posts, read 29,685,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
SLC: Mormons,
Yup, Salt Lake City is roughly 50% Mormon, and not all of them are practicing members of the Church.

Quote:
smell of salt lake
This smell is absolutely terrible (kind of like rotten eggs). The thing is, it happens only for a few hours about two or three days a year. According to the Utah Department of Environmental Quality's website, "The saltiest of the Great Salt Lake’s water sits on the bottom of the lake. The heavy brine traps organic material (i.e., algae and plant and animal remains) and gases at the bottom of the lake. When the bottom of the lake gets stirred up, lots of bubbles rise to the surface. The bubbles release the gas that forms from the decaying organic matter, and this gas smells anything but pleasant. It smells somewhat like rotten eggs, not unlike the sulfur hot springs that are also common in the intermountain west."

Quote:
Alta close by
Make that Alta and nine other world-class ski resorts within a one hour drive of an international airport.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I like both. I think the reason people don't hype up Salt Lake City so much is the whole mormon thing and also the fact that it's not transplant heavy. Transplants are starting to move there though, especially in the last 5 years or so.

Today...I think SLC is growing and Pittsburgh is not. SLC has a good Downtown and also some other good neighborhoods, and its light rail system is great. And SLC is very close to the mountains, certainly closer than Denver is.

But I'd rather live in Pittsburgh...I think SLC would be too small for me, and then you got the alcohol laws there. For my kind of lifestyle, SLC would be terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yup, Salt Lake City is roughly 50% Mormon, and not all of them are practicing members of the Church.
But non-practicing members are still counted.

50% SLC Mormon vs 40% Conservative Catholic in Pittsburgh.

Really I'm not sure there is all that big of a difference between Progressive Republican and Conservative Democrats as far as that goes. On the one hand you have people saying, "I'm not sure if I want to do that. Talk me into it." And on the other they are saying, "Well what did my friends say? If they agreed, I'm in, if not go away."

Granted if you're talking about the burbs or the states as a whole it's a different story.

Pittsburgh: 305,000
Pittsburgh CSA: 2.6 million

Salt Lake: 191,000
Salt Lake CSA: 2.4 million

CD said SLC grew by 5.2% since 2000. Pittsburgh's hasn't grown, but the demographics have shifted younger.

Now don't get me wrong Pittsburgh is (probably) the top city for its population at 305k, but it also used to be so much bigger and more important that it basically has double what a city that size should have. Not suggesting SLC is better, just that it's not an apples to oranges comparison.

Alcohol laws are very similar between the two. Even up til the 90s Pittsburgh had its own version of the Zion Curtain. At least in SLC you can get booze in supermarkets and on Sunday.

Pittsburgh's best air pollution rating is about the same as SLC's 2nd worst year (since 2000). Although Pittsburgh's air has improved significantly since 2000.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 01-31-2016 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
This is a much different city. It is far more expensive to live here and not a lot of high paying jobs to support the lifestyle.

Plus we are falling behind other cities with light rail service and urban planning.

The residents I know are choosing to relocate to the outlying counties when a move comes up instead of staying in Allegheny County. Younger grads are moving to the east coast cities, mainly the Philly/DC corridor.
Not really. Pittsburgh changes much more slowly than many cities I know even with all the changes that have happened recently.

What lifestyle?

I have to wonder where you came from if you think it's "far more expensive" to live there since it is still just under US average for cost of living. Drink prices are fairly low compared to most areas as well. Housing prices don't seem bad either.

I'm assuming you meant the COL isn't as low as it used to be and the rental prices are higher than you'd think based on the COL.

Since the city hasn't really grown there's not going to be support for expanded T lines. The bus system in Pittsburgh is also good enough that it isn't really needed. People always sing the praises of Minneapolis' bus system, but Pittsburgh's is actually more extensive.

It's not falling behind in urban planning. It's already planned. The question now is whether or not the improvements will preserve the city's historic buildings or opt for modern designs. As far as I can see the burgh has done a good job of letting in a bit of the new, but keeping much of the rest whole.

So what you're saying is as people age they are moving into the burbs and recent grads are looking for more exciting areas? Sounds exactly like the old Pittsburgh to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.