Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times

Advertisements

I always see Des Moines right at the top of the list, since it normally has a low cost of living, especially housing, but has a fairly high average salary due to the very good economy and white collar based employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,100,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida pretty much offers up a mirage in terms of quality job growth as it has primarily been via the service sector with little in the way of jobs that pay a living wage and/or full time benefits. Furthermore cities like Orlando and Miami have highly disproportionate average rental costs versus average salary.

Reports show growing financial squeeze for most Florida workers | Tampa Bay Times
I'm hoping this year with floridas unemoyment rate finally reaching 5% that wage growth will occur. U6 unemployment is still 11.5% so I don't know if it will or not.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:41 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,100,717 times
And Floridians hate that crap. But it seems in Florida as Southerners becoming ever more a minority they get louder and louder. That is how these things usually go.

That big flag on I-4 only got there because the owner lied and made it seem he was putting up an American flag. By the time his scheme was discovered it was too late to stop him.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,077,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Minneapolis is very cool and very sophisticated. It could be up there with the hip 5 (SF, Portland, Austin, Seattle, and Denver) but the cold tends to keep people away. It's definitely a nice place to live if you can deal with that aspect. It probably has one of the best quality of life to cost of living ratios in the country. Most places that offer as much as the Twin Cities do, you'll be paying much more for it.
I was going to try the Twin Cities last year but I had a health scare. I prefer low growth metros to no growth or high growth metros.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
The Raleigh and Durham area has a very strong job market a nice cost of living. I could understand someone considering it too boring or suburban for them, but yes too strong of a confederate culture does not describe the area at all.
Raleigh and the Triangle also have one of the most educated adult populations in the nation among the nation's major metros. Its enormous and continued growth can be attributed to being both a collector metro in the state and nationally for college students that end up staying and to major migration patterns from primarily the Northeast. While Southern culture most certainly remains in the area, I dare say that those who identify as such would chuckle at the idea that it has a confederate culture. Even the formerly quiet and decidedly more culturally southern counties to the east and south of Raleigh are seeing their numbers swell with new residents from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, etc.
As for the monument, keep in mind that the city is the state capital and war memorials have stood there for dozens of years and from centuries past. They are put there by statewide elected representatives, not on order of the city itself. The confederate memorial's origin dates back to legislative action in 1892: a time that was decidedly more culturally southern in the city and arguably more "confederate" aware. People were still living in 1892 that lost loved ones in that war that had ended just 27 years earlier.
In the end, it all doesn't matter. Raleigh isn't begging for people to move to it; it doesn't have to. They continue to come in droves.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:52 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,746,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Real talk.

There, I fixed that for you.
"fixing something" on a site like this is silly. You can't fix something that someone has posted. Perhaps you can try to argue your own opinion. I know, a novel concept.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-10-2016 at 01:22 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,069,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Florida doesn't have that confederate crap even to a fraction of what the carolinas or georgia or texas does.
I'm finding this a bit difficult to believe. Most of Texas doesn't have much of a "Confederate vibe" to me, although that seems to be made up for by an obsession on the Republic era.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,060,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Other places that fit the bill would be the Twin Cities, Denver, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, and Austin.
Yeah, no to Denver. If you aren't in a STEM field or sales good luck affording it. A lot of things about Denver are exaggerated.

Anyways, Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City, DFW, Phoenix, and Houston are the best. There are probably others, but Í'm not going to really research this further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.