Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:44 AM

171 posts, read 218,606 times

Advertisements

Which U.S. metro's have the best job outlook in your opinion and the best COL to income ratio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:52 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Floridas cities boomed the past year while many other places in the country suffered.

Florida has a low manufacturing base, and no reliance upon the oil sector for its economy. Because of that I expect 2016 to be a solid year for us.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I think Dallas-Fort Worth tops this list pretty easily.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If you don't care about how bland and generic a place is, and all you're really concerned about is jobs and cost of living then Dallas-Fort Worth fits the bill.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Floridas cities boomed the past year while many other places in the country suffered.

Florida has a low manufacturing base, and no reliance upon the oil sector for its economy. Because of that I expect 2016 to be a solid year for us.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Dallas-Fort Worth tops this list pretty easily.
Thanks, this is what I was afraid. I've visited DFW and didn't like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you don't care about how bland and generic a place is, and all you're really concerned about is jobs and cost of living then Dallas-Fort Worth fits the bill.
^^^ This. Though I wouldn't call DFW bland, just rude with a lot of bad driving, bugs, and humidity.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Other places that fit the bill would be the Twin Cities, Denver, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, and Austin.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Columbus and Cleveland, OH are up and coming, both have low cost of living and pretty good economies.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Other places that fit the bill would be the Twin Cities, Denver, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, and Austin.
Twin cities has one of the higher COLs in the Midwest. Denver was just OK for me, not a fan of the extremely cold winters. Raleigh is a little boring and has too strong of a "confederate" culture. I would consider Austin, as it seemed to be OK when I visited. And I don't think that I would like Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Columbus and Cleveland, OH are up and coming, both have low cost of living and pretty good economies.
Thanks.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
I dont understand that nasty comment about dallas, nothing seems very generic about texas to me. I would definitely say texas is the top place people are moving and a great stem and tech job market with low col, austin seems really cool ,maybe charlotte or raleigh research triangle area, the west as well with utah and oregon seeming to be really gaining alot of people. here is an article about places with high pay and low col

"Stretching your money: The best cities for high pay and low expenses"

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-b...195126305.html

WIKIMEDIA COMMONS PHOTO

"No. 5: Colorado Springs, Colo.

The home of the Air Force Academy is also a hub for defense-related firms, and there are more than a few ice skaters here beneath Pikes Peak aspiring to become Olympians. The average annual income is $69,844 based on the 2012 census numbers, and the cost of living index is 92.8. (The lower an index score is below 100, the better.) When adjusted for that cheaper-than-average cost of living, it's actually like making $75,263, according to WalletHub. But while all those Air Force types may be flying high in Colorado Springs, not everyone else is. Unlike Denver, here in Colorado’s second-largest city, the sale of recreational pot is banned despite a new state law legalizing marijuana.

No. 4: Houston

Here's the one city in the top five where you will get an occasional ocean breeze … or just a lot of humidity. Houston makes the list because America's in the middle of an energy boom. Oil, natural gas, wind, you name it, the boom is powering up average incomes to $69,421, with a cost of living index number of 92.2. Adjusted for cost of living, that's like making $75,303 per year. Even though Houston incomes are slightly lower than the average in Colorado Springs, there are no state income taxes in Texas, helping Houstonians take home more cash.

No. 3: Austin, Texas

See above for an explanation of tax breaks stretching dollars in Texas. Austin makes the list because incomes are going higher as the state capital becomes a hub for tech and music and all things hipster-y. Austin is headquarters for Whole Foods, adding to the whole quinoa-eating, fedora-wearing, cage-free celebrating vibe. The city is also home to the nation's largest urban bat population, and we all know how hip the whole vampire thing is. The cost of living index in Austin is 95.4, but the average income is $74,860, which can buy you a lot of organic gluten-free veggies. (I keep making fun of Austin because I’m jealous.)

No. 2: Atlanta

Hotlanta! This town is a peach of a place to live! Atlanta is headquarters to a wide range of successful empires like Coke, Home Depot, Delta Air Lines and Nene Leakes.

The cost of living index number is 95.5, the highest on the Wallet Hub list. But how affordable is housing? The average income in Atlanta is $78,505. The usual rule of thumb in determining home affordability is to multiply one’s annual income by 2.5. That would mean the average home price should be $196,000. Good news! It’s only $144,000, leaving Atlantans with more money to afford a high-end lifestyle worthy of a “Real Housewife.”

No. 1: Charlotte, N.C.

Charlotte is the best city in America for good salaries and low cost of living. Turns out this town is a banking powerhouse, the second-largest financial center in the country behind New York, and New York is not affordable. Not at all.

Charlotte is headquarters for institutions like Bank of America, and is a major center for Wells Fargo, but Chiquita International also calls the city home. And why not? The cost of living index number is 93.2, the average annual income is $76,914 (which might feel more like $82,526 based on cost of living), unemployment is 6.6 percent and the so-called Queen City has even designated a local Dairy Queen a historic site. "

Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Twin cities has one of the higher COLs in the Midwest.
That's not saying much; the Midwest in general is pretty affordable and Chicago is arguably the most affordable major city in the country so that speaks pretty well of the Twin Cities since its COL isn't higher than Chicago's.

Quote:
Raleigh is a little boring and has too strong of a "confederate" culture.
It doesn't sound like you've ever been to Raleigh...that's pretty laughable. Sure you can find remnants of the "old South" in some small towns outside of Raleigh but within the larger Triangle area itself, there's very little of that.

At any rate, you didn't list any criteria for what you were looking for in a city; you asked a very general question so the answers are running the gamut. Be more specific next time if you're looking for a particular type of city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.