Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:42 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm a native of NW Ohio and Cincinnati always felt foreign to me. I don't know if I'd say it belongs in Kentucky but it definitely doesn't feel like the rest of the Ohio I know.

People in Cincinnati do not know Toledo is in the same state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Scottsbluff, NE in Nebraska pan handle belongs in Wyoming.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:36 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
People saying Louisville clearly don't understand the city at all. It can't be anywhere except Kentucky. It certainly doesn't belong in Indiana that it borders.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Missoula and Bozeman, Montana. They are liberal college towns but Missoula especially, it may be liberal but it's surrounded by some of the most backwards conservatives you'll ever encounter.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Missoula and Bozeman, Montana. They are liberal college towns but Missoula especially, it may be liberal but it's surrounded by some of the most backwards conservatives you'll ever encounter.
There are plenty of backwards liberals.

Politics is a circle. You can go left or right but if you go too far you all end up at the bottom.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:55 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There are plenty of backwards liberals.

Politics is a circle. You can go left or right but if you go too far you all end up at the bottom.
Yes, there are backwards liberals. I've not encountered many, most just the backwards conservative type. Extremists on either side suck in my opinion. Just a drain to be around.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:12 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would agree with St. Louis. Our mayor challenged the marriage equality issue with conservative Missouri and succeeded before the Supreme Court decision. Missouri wanted to join the ranks of "right to work" states but many in St. Louis took a stand. These are a few of the examples. Lets not get started on gun control and minimum wage. Where St. Louis belongs is a good question but clearly not in Missouri.
This is mostly a case of the state being in a death spiral. I left MO after 65 years and 35 of those were in Jefferson City. The state legislature should go back to meeting every two years to keep those bozos from destroying what's left of the state. Looking back at the state from a safe distance is very depressing. St. Louis and Kansas City deserve better.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:28 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I propose that cities that developed as ports along major rivers in the interior of the country have a commonality that made them unique to their respective states and gave each a flavor that they share.

New Orleans
Memphis
St. Louis
Louisville
Cincinnati

Each of these have been mentioned in previous posts, but they have this river culture that loosely unite them. With rail, air and interstate highway eclipsing river travel in importance of moving people and goods, they all have sensed some decline in that side of their identity.
I think you raise a good point and I would add a couple cities to the list. History plays a big part in a city's culture and its place in the world. I think the river culture is still largely evident in some of the smaller cities and towns along the inland rivers but there are still recognizable threads in the larger river cities. Your point actually goes beyond this thread and explains some of the reasons these cities are memorable and maybe carry more weight than might be expected.

Old seaport cities are also in a class by themselves. If you listen to someone talk from New Orleans or Baltimore you recognize a difference that separates them from their region. (yes, New Orleans belongs in both lists)

Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think you raise a good point and I would add a couple cities to the list. History plays a big part in a city's culture and its place in the world. I think the river culture is still largely evident in some of the smaller cities and towns along the inland rivers but there are still recognizable threads in the larger river cities. Your point actually goes beyond this thread and explains some of the reasons these cities are memorable and maybe carry more weight than might be expected.

Old seaport cities are also in a class by themselves. If you listen to someone talk from New Orleans or Baltimore you recognize a difference that separates them from their region. (yes, New Orleans belongs in both lists)
What makes you mention Baltimore? The way Baltimoreans speak is nothing separate from their region. They sound like people from the East Midland/Mid-Atlantic but with more Southern features.

The Yat accent however is in a class of its own however.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:19 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Yes Baltimore fits perfectly in its region. anyone saying otherwise clearly has not been around there much. the case can easily be made that DC does not fit in the region though, mainly because of the large number of transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.