Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times

Advertisements

Atlanta, Austin, and Asheville came to mind first.

Northern VA is a metro that is quite different from the rest of the state, but I don't think I'd go as far to say it doesn't fit in. The other two major metros (Hampton Roads, Richmond) have definitely been impacted by transplants, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
NYC is the exact opposite of most of NY. Upstate is quite rural and very suburban and for the most part, much more politically right. NYC, as we all know, is extremely urban and politically left.

Louisville is not like KY. Especially the Highlands and the east end. Very liberal and relatively very wealthy and educated. KY is very right wing, poor, and uneducated. As I've said in many other threads, there's a mutual dislike of each other between Louisville and KY. Louisville dislikes KY for being so backwards and racist and homophobic. KY dislikes Louisville for being so progressive, diverse, and gay. Lexington is somewhere in the middle. It's very liberal as well, but the culture is more "KY" and the style is much more southern frat boy, while Louisville is more hipster/midwest style.

Chicago is nothing like downstate. Downstate IL has more in common with KY than it does with Chicago.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM

I don't think Austin is really that different from Texas. It's a cool city for sure. But most of the big cities in Texas are politically left. Dallas has a huge gay population as well. The mayors are often quite liberal. Austin definitely has more of the hipster/weird vibe to it, but I wouldn't say it's that different. That's just my opinion though. I feel like most of the big cities in TX are relatively liberal. Austin is more than the others, but I wouldn't say enough to really make the city feel like a giant outlier.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
NYC is the exact opposite of most of NY. Upstate is quite rural and very suburban and for the most part, much more politically right. NYC, as we all know, is extremely urban and politically left.

Louisville is not like KY. Especially the Highlands and the east end. Very liberal and relatively very wealthy and educated. KY is very right wing, poor, and uneducated. As I've said in many other threads, there's a mutual dislike of each other between Louisville and KY. Louisville dislikes KY for being so backwards and racist and homophobic. KY dislikes Louisville for being so progressive, diverse, and gay. Lexington is somewhere in the middle. It's very liberal as well, but the culture is more "KY" and the style is much more southern frat boy, while Louisville is more hipster/midwest style.

Chicago is nothing like downstate. Downstate IL has more in common with KY than it does with Chicago.

many large cities have this dynamic

Philly and central PA may even more different than NYC and upstate in some ways

Philly and NYC may better fit in Jersey TBH in many ways (here comes the NYC mantra on Jersey) but both sit directly on its border and have very sizable metro population in NJ

Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
many large cities have this dynamic

Philly and central PA may even more different than NYC and upstate in some ways

Philly and NYC may better fit in Jersey TBH in many ways (here comes the NYC mantra on Jersey) but both sit directly on its border and have very sizable metro population in NJ
Yeah I kinda feel the same. Cities are almost inherently different form the country in almost every single way. And basically every state has both large cities and rural countryside aside from a few like NJ or RI.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:09 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Well if we are talking politics and progressiveness I would say New Orleans vs Louisiana. I would also say Miami is very different(racially) compared to florida seeing as it's only 11 percent white, a large amount of Liberals live there, and over 60 percent of it's residents speak Spanish at home..very different compared to central, and north florida(even different from the tampa area I would argue).

Old 02-10-2016, 03:58 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
I don't know about Detroit either, I'm fairly sure the rest of the state looks at Detroit the way TN looks at Memphis, like it's the black sheep in the family.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:19 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Definitely Detroit. Detroit is densely urban, liberal, and black. The vast majority of Michigan, outside of the larger cities which aren't that large, Detroit aside, is small town/rural, conservative, and white. Lots of pick up trucks with gun racks, outdoorsmen types, and even an active, home grown, militia. Very rednecky, and the polar opposite of Detroit. A black person in most small towns in Michigan sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Atlanta, Austin, and Asheville came to mind first.
No doubt because they all start with the letter A.

s. davis described Austin's place in the state perfectly. It's a Texan city that just so happens to benefit from having a major university right in its core.

Atlanta doesn't stand out in Georgia any more than any other major city does in relation to its state. Georgians feel the same way about Atlanta that Texans feel about Dallas.

I don't know enough about Asheville to comment on it.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
KY dislikes Louisville for being so progressive, diverse, and gay.
Seems like the same story for Birmingham as well, I've never seen such a state that neglects to advertise one of it's larger cities to a national scale. Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery, and Birmingham are all significantly different, having different characteristics; but Birmingham seems to stick out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.