Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:34 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The OP is from the SF bay area (Oakland) and she said she would live there forever if she could afford it. She also said she is interested in far left politics. She likes being a "San Francisco liberal". This is why I am comparing Chicago to SF as far as its liberalness. No one in their right mind would say Chicago can hold a candle to the left wing environment of SF. It is just to Midwestern for that, and really that is the only point I have been trying to make here. Honestly I just want the OP to find what she is looking for, and hope she gets the correct impression of these cities. We all have differing opinions and she can take them all for what they are worth.
Obviously nothing is as liberal as SF/Oakland. But you've been the only one posting that Chicago isn't very liberal. It's one of the most liberal cities in the country. It's not SF/Oakland, but it has WAY more in common with SF/Oakland than Lubbock. I have plenty of friends living in Chicago who are just as liberal as anyone from SF. In fact, one is originally from the Bay Area and she loves it there. You make Chicago sound scary and not liberal enough for the OP. All we're trying to do is make the OP realize that Chicago is in fact very liberal, despite your posts saying it's just blue collar union voters voting Democrat. It's not true. On the South Side, maybe. But the OP will be living in west or north side neighborhoods with large concentrations of liberals, gays, hipsters, Jews, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Obviously nothing is as liberal as SF/Oakland. But you've been the only one posting that Chicago isn't very liberal. It's one of the most liberal cities in the country. It's not SF/Oakland, but it has WAY more in common with SF/Oakland than Lubbock. I have plenty of friends living in Chicago who are just as liberal as anyone from SF. In fact, one is originally from the Bay Area and she loves it there. You make Chicago sound scary and not liberal enough for the OP. All we're trying to do is make the OP realize that Chicago is in fact very liberal, despite your posts saying it's just blue collar union voters voting Democrat. It's not true. On the South Side, maybe. But the OP will be living in west or north side neighborhoods with large concentrations of liberals, gays, hipsters, Jews, etc.

If she chooses Chicago no doubt she will choose the neighborhood you say she will, if indeed she is looking for that environment. I never said that some very liberal areas don't exist there, my point was that the whole city is not like that. From what I remember of the SF area the entire area really is uber liberal. Chicago is a Midwestern metro area with a mixture of people. Liberal people, blue collar people, yuppies and conservatives in the burbs. Its not deep blue like Frisco, but a mixture. I don't think it is like SF/Oakland nor do I think its like Lubbock. Its like Chicago, classic Midwestern city. She better dress warm, its definitely colder there than SF.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:29 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about outer SW Chicago neighborhoods, which are still diverse and middle class like Beverly, Ashburn or maybe Morgan Park?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:59 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You cannot live comfortably in Asheville or Detroit without a car.
Ditto. Not sure how Asheville made your list for being walkable or affordable at $850. Downtown/W. Asheville (the trendy near downtown part) where there is some walkability you're looking at $900-$1,300 (if you can even find an opening).

Not that living downtown gives you much area to walk. It's tiny. Maybe half a mile from one side to the other.

There are buses in downtown Asheville. But outside of Asheville it's these little airport shuttle buses. I think you might have to call to have them pick you up, but I'm not sure.

I do know I've driven past the stops before and then again an hour later and the same people are still waiting.

Biltmore Town Square is one of those mixed-use developments that has shops and places to eat all in the same place. I personally wouldn't ever want to live in a place like that, but it is walkable. Looks like rent for a 1 bedroom just went up again so you're looking at around $1,400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.