Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:35 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
within 5 years i think...sadly, cincy is a permanent a candidate but i'm thinking indy, cleveland, st. louis, miami should all tread lightly...i remember in 2001 during the cincinnati riots, they showed on cincinnati news some locals out in st.louis saying they supported the uprising and they were next if the city doesn't get its act together.
I read somewhere that Portland,OR could be next. IMO, there could be riots over the presendent-elect. I don't want to open up a can of worms but it does make me wonder about things. I have heard talk about what could happen if Obama ever got elected, but came to the same fate as JFK. Dr. King met a sad fate 40 years ago and there were riots in 110 different cities. Dr. King wasn't a politician. I wonder if the same thing could happen again. It brings up an interesting debate. A sad thought though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Posts made on this thread need to stay on topic and address the issue of race riots.

Members who insist on posting material not germaine to the original topic will be given warnings and infractions as appropriate.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
The closest thing we have to race riots in northeast Tennessee would be parking for the big Bristol Speedway NASCAR events. Bristol Speedway seats 160,000, so it's a mess.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well in Maryland we don't have race riots, we have basketball riots Especially with the Terps play Duke. And win, which unfortunately didn't happen today. Hey, the cops actually hope we lose.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Quote:
within 5 years i think...sadly, cincy is a permanent a candidate but i'm thinking indy, cleveland, st. louis, miami should all tread lightly...i remember in 2001 during the cincinnati riots, they showed on cincinnati news some locals out in st.louis saying they supported the uprising and they were next if the city doesn't get its act together.
I'm sure there's racial tension in St. Louis, but hopefully not enough to start a riot. If anything did happen, I'd expect it to happen in North St. Louis, since riots often start in the more depressed areas of cities.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
i really hope st. louis doesn't riot either. cincinnati's been through hell with ours. but seeing the poverty and crime problems in a corrupt city, it seems feasible.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Other than just the violence and sometimes murder in a riot, part of it is property damage. I think I read the Detroit riots damaged 14 city blocks.

St. Louis is more recently seeing rehabilitation, especially in the Old North. I'd hate to see anything happen to that, plus the potential for lives lost.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
especially after the 5 day debacle after katrina. lower class blacks can't feel good about the country's institutional problems, and if the state of missouri or d.c. reacts lazily to an incident, it could get ugly. again, i hope not.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:22 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,419 times
When the Detroit tigers won the 1984 world series, a riot occured. It doesn't make any sense. Hey, look our team won, lets destroy stuff.......

Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
especially after the 5 day debacle after katrina. lower class blacks can't feel good about the country's institutional problems, and if the state of missouri or d.c. reacts lazily to an incident, it could get ugly. again, i hope not.
New Orleans went through some looting and rioting after Katrina. I'm not surprised. Miami,FL could have another one soon. As for Portland, this is where I got the information:Feature - Features - JUST BENEATH THE SURFACE - Portland Mercury

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,039 times
Lightbulb Kansas City History From 1 Who Was There

I was 10 years old during the race riots in 1968. I lived in Kansas City, Mo and was right in the thick of it. The Blacks burned Prospect Ave for more than 30 blocks. Every home and business was in the line of fire. Bottle Bombs were the weapon of choice. The National Guard was brought in and stationed at every block and business for several square miles. We were not allowed to leave our homes after dusk....and I have never been so scared in my life. Life changed dramaticly from then on. No more walking to school, no more coming home for lunch because the Black kids would rough me up. And over one summer, my entire neighborhood started taking flight. They started forced bussing, and I went from 1 sweet Black girl in my 2nd grade class, to 10 White kids in the entire 3rd grade of my school. The Black Panthers used megaphones out car windows to terrorize neighborhoods and preach the message of Black Majority...."Have you selves lotsa babies, and more babies...and take the White Man's Money". They built new state of the art schools for the Black neighborhoods, and over one year, the Blacks vandelized every square inch so badly the school was condemned the very next year. They were not into peace, love, and no more war, like the hippies. They were into war on White people. I had to ride the city bus to another school to escape the fear for my life. And that was really scarey too. I did that for 3 years till my parents had enough money to move us to the suburbs with the neighbors who had fled. Over the years the area has been condemned a block at a time because even the police refused to patrol the area. It became a neighborhood like the ones in futuristic movies where "EVERYONE" was a criminal. Now the suburban areas have been equally mixed by "Good" Black people trying to escape their own race and have a better life for their kids. The problem remains though, as the kids will be kids and they have no past. These newly place teens are corrupting our mild mannered suburban kids. They have gotten meaner and angrier even though they have more opportunities. The code of teenage rebellion has metamorphasized into an age of kids reaching adulthood with no ethics or morals, filled with hate and rage, and "the hateness of being". Obama is still on the topic...as follows. Older Whites voted for him because they believe that all "colors with goodness" should have equal rights, and the young people have been hypnotized by the message of change. The young people have no idea about the past except that slavery is wrong, and Martin Luther King preached a message of Light. Those 2 things are drops in the bucket of over all history. We are ever on the verge of riots and full scale civil war between informed and non-informed. I shy from the word education, because education is available to all races, but some choose not to get one, and others choose it to relay an agenda. And there are plenty of good people without education. It boils down to whether the heart and soul are filled with goodness or hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.