Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,151,111 times

Advertisements

Just a bunch of chavs where I live.

YouTube - Chav Scum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 PM

197 posts, read 259,480 times
:Since I go to BU, I would have to say preps with European clothes. Great school though! Go Terriers!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,269,243 times
Being apart of the 'Young Group' it is a Mix of the Preps (the ones who go to American Eagle and Aeropostal etc.) the 'Gangsters', 'sk8ers' and the 'Jocks'.
Some of us put two of them together so you might see baggy pants but an Abercrombie shirt with basketball shoes. I do that a lot...mix things up a little. Everyone sags their pants today though, its not just the 'gangsters' ...everyone does, the Preps, Jocks whatever...we call it 'saggin' or 'sag' sometimes as a Noun or an Adjective...
in a sentence 'do you sag?' 'He sags his pants way too much' 'look! he is finally saggin' 'saggin is the best way yo wear your pants'... just as an example...
But it is not uncommon to see a combo of them...we actually have quite a few young Nature lovers here too... like hippies...not uncommon.
Not all people 'sag' but a good chuck do, it the modern day Hippy...Trends change, when we get old you'll see us complaining how the next young generation is dressed all wrong.

edit: ohh! and about race... my area is racially diverse...
the Africans GENERALLY follow the 'Gangster' way, some of them go Prep or Jock though, most of them are a mix of the 2
The Asians go either 'Gangster' or 'Prep' and about 1/3 of them mix it up...also maybe with a touch of 'Jock'
The Hispanics are like the Asians except half of them go 'gangster', 1/4 go prep, and the rest mix theres up ..also with some 'Jock'
The Muslims either go lightly 'prep', 'Sk8er' or 'Gangster'
The Caucasians are all over the place...this is where you find the 'hippy' here, but not too many do that...most go with 'Prep' or 'sk8er' and a small fraction go to 'gangster'

The Most Common combination is 'Gangster' and 'sk8er' or 'prep'

Last edited by CMDallas; 02-09-2008 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 04:52 PM

812 posts, read 4,066,084 times
There's no one look anymore, but in San Diego, it's all about being a bro. (For non-Southern Californians, that's a lifted truck, inarticulate, overly masculine, likes offroading, dirtbiking, women and parties and calls every guy "bro")... or the traditional skater/surfer... the three are merging into a sort of "suburban bro" where the F150 can be substituted for an E46 BMW and wifebeater tee is swapped out for skater clothes. You then add spy optic sunglasses and perfectly spiked hair that is lorded over to a feminine degree.

People in their 20's tend to drop it in favor of a career, or equally possible gravitate to the surfer style and become a bum.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,352,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
There's no one look anymore, but in San Diego, it's all about being a bro. (For non-Southern Californians, that's a lifted truck, inarticulate, overly masculine, likes offroading, dirtbiking, women and parties and calls every guy "bro")... or the traditional skater/surfer... the three are merging into a sort of "suburban bro" where the F150 can be substituted for an E46 BMW and wifebeater tee is swapped out for skater clothes. You then add spy optic sunglasses and perfectly spiked hair that is lorded over to a feminine degree.

People in their 20's tend to drop it in favor of a career, or equally possible gravitate to the surfer style and become a bum.
I live in San Diego city... mostly I see a mix between the bro, gangsta, skate/ghetto, skate/emo, skate/jock, skate/punk.

Lots of posers and overall it seems like the gangster thing has run it's course amongst the younger kids, I am seeing a lot more blacks and latinos going the skate/punk route these days, which I look at as an improvement over the ghetto steez.

Funniest part is that for all these "skaters" I would say maybe 5% of them actually ride a skateboard.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
My area is really weird. Seems like they stick to all stereotypes. I have seen more black "goths" here than any place, a bunch of Hispanic "preps" (I'm talking the Ralph Lauren kind, not the Abercrombie and Fitch kind), and the biggest trend among the transplanted Italian-from-NY youth here seems to be the redneck subculture as much as they are into the pseudo-Guido thing. The Asians do the "half gangster" thing mentioned. Very strange place when it comes to the teen and 20s culture here. THANK GOD the ghetto phase is finally fading out, at least in my area but certainly not in South Florida as a whole.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,269,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
My area is really weird. Seems like they stick to all stereotypes. I have seen more black "goths" here than any place, a bunch of Hispanic "preps" (I'm talking the Ralph Lauren kind, not the Abercrombie and Fitch kind), and the biggest trend among the transplanted Italian-from-NY youth here seems to be the redneck subculture as much as they are into the pseudo-Guido thing. The Asians do the "half gangster" thing mentioned. Very strange place when it comes to the teen and 20s culture here. THANK GOD the ghetto phase is finally fading out, at least in my area but certainly not in South Florida as a whole.
^ LOL at the San Diego 'Bro'...
the word ghetto is fading, but it is really a synonym for 'Gangster' or 'Gangsta'. Ghetto isn't really fading, just the phrase... It can be called a variety of things now like 'I'm a 'G', from the hood' so the word is synonymous to gangster now...
The San Diego bro, doesn't sound like anything special except the way us young people roll... its not just San Diego...everyone says 'bro' here too... although it can be said differently 'bro' and in brochure... 'Bruh' as in Brunt...'Bra' as in ...Bra...'Broski' bro and in like brochure, and ski like ...ski...then 'Brutha' .... whats more here...every one has shortened the already short 'ya'll' and has made it 'yaw' or 'yuhll'...
and then there is 'yeah' which has been shortened to 'yuh'... I could go on and on...I won't lie... I do use some of these on a daily basis...only to other fellow young people though ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.