Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:57 PM

102 posts, read 100,977 times

Advertisements

This thread is started because a poster compared Boston's natural scenery (even though the mountains in Vt and NH are 2-3 hours away) to San Francisco and Northern California.

Any ride on I-95 from NYC through Jersey, to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and through Virginia (Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley) NC, as well as on I-90 through Upstate NY (Adirondacks, Catskills also), Pennsylvania (Poconos, Lehigh Valley, etc.) looks the exact same as New England.

So I don't understand this notion that Boston/New England is the only region that has this, which is partly because some people speak of Boston arrogance.

My fall drives in Upstate NY are phenomenal, and go nowhere near Boston.

What I think people need to realize is that fall foliage is something that is a hallmark of the entire Northeast, not just New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:35 PM

27 posts, read 25,099 times
The Ithaca area is absolutely beautiful during the fall too. I also agree about the Catskills.. just gorgeous. My husband is from Catskill. I lived in Albany for 12 years and never had to leave the area to get my fix of fall scenery. Furthermore, I have never heard anyone isolate fall foliage to Boston, nor have I ever really noticed it on my trips to/from. The Berkshires are well loved Upstate for the fall season, yeah but not so much Boston itself.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
This thread is started because a poster compared Boston's natural scenery (even though the mountains in Vt and NH are 2-3 hours away) to San Francisco and Northern California.

Any ride on I-95 from NYC through Jersey, to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and through Virginia (Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley) NC, as well as on I-90 through Upstate NY (Adirondacks, Catskills also), Pennsylvania (Poconos, Lehigh Valley, etc.) looks the exact same as New England.

So I don't understand this notion that Boston/New England is the only region that has this, which is partly because some people speak of Boston arrogance.

What I think people need to realize is that fall foliage is something that is a hallmark of the entire Northeast, not just New England.
oh and Ohio too, but that's it...well Virginia too I guess...and Wisconsin...but that's absolutely it!

Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Really anything north of north Florida has some level of foliage.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Yes, fall drives through upstate NY are phenomenal. Specially through the Adirondacks.

I imagine a drive through the Appalachians in the fall would be impressive too.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:26 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:

LOL, fall foilage is not exclusive to the entire Northeast, or New England. Maybe you need to realize that fact.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:

Fall foliage is a hallmark all across America.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn...oliageMap2.PNG

The more you know*

Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I think it's more like people have this idea that New England has the best foliage colors and viewing, but this is clearly wrong (at the least very subjective). As you mentioned, changing leaves are prevalent from Maine to VA and further South. Leaves change throughout the Midwest, as far south as Texas, and even in parts of California (even part of Southern CA). I think northern areas do tend to have better, more vibrant and longer lasting colors but most of the country sees leaves change. The idea that it's some special/especially nice New England thing is odd. I've always thought the same thing, as someone who lives in New Jersey and sees the exact same changes pretty much the exact same way New England does yet we never get any credit. We don't get credit for anything good, but that's a whole other story...

Vermont does have stunning foliage though - but I think it's the setting more than anything. Mountainous yet rural, lots of empty land. Lots of trees, lots of charming characteristics like covered bridges. But all of the Northeast is like this, at least in parts.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
I think New England has the reputation because I think there is a larger variety of deciduous trees so a few more colors get thrown into the mix. It also starts earlier then further down.

I agree though that other states, especially anywhere along the Appalachians can be spectacular if you time it right. I live on MD's Atlantic coast so the closest and most convenient place for me to drive to is VA's skyline drive just west of DC, which is still about a 3 1/2 hour drive in a perfect world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.