Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Where are these places on Google Maps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM

196 posts, read 198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Where are these places on Google Maps?
They are all from various locations in the inland South. You can look them up yourself.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
Some examples of inland forests, of various forms:
- So guess 40 miles inland isn't considered "coastal" in the South?

- There aren't any palms in this pic and it doesn't look like what you posted. Also some street views of the surrounding area:

https://goo.gl/maps/UtEHD1bVkFn - lol, so green and lush! Look at all those palms!

https://goo.gl/maps/SrLdpiHWHEE2 - Palms everywhere!

https://goo.gl/maps/NBhLWbLcH1q - Is this the South or Hawaii???

- no idea where this was taken, it's very scenic but looks nothing like your forest pic with all the palms and it's probably coastal too.
- How is this not considered coastal if it's in or around Savannah?
- Where in Southern GA is this? You probably don't know and therefore can't claim its inland

Great job at cherry picking and misleading with "inland" locations. That's why I asked for the locations in Google Maps because all you ever do is post cherry picked pics with little to no information about where it was takem.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
- So guess 40 miles inland isn't considered "coastal" in the South?

- There aren't any palms in this pic and it doesn't look like what you posted. Also some street views of the surrounding area:

https://goo.gl/maps/UtEHD1bVkFn - lol, so green and lush! Look at all those palms!

https://goo.gl/maps/SrLdpiHWHEE2 - Palms everywhere!

https://goo.gl/maps/NBhLWbLcH1q - Is this the South or Hawaii???

- no idea where this was taken, it's very scenic but looks nothing like your forest pic with all the palms and it's probably coastal too.
- How is this not considered coastal if it's in or around Savannah?
- Where in Southern GA is this? You probably don't know and therefore can't claim its inland

Great job at cherry picking and misleading with "inland" locations. That's why I asked for the locations in Google Maps because all you ever do is post cherry picked pics with little to no information about where it was takem.
Nope, never cherry picked. Just found pictures of Southern forests, and those pics came up. All kinds of subtropical flora in those forests, other than just palms, including evergreen trees, carnivorous plants, lianas, vines, all draping with spanish moss, a tropical bromeliad from Central/South America that ranges up to the US South.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Nope, never cherry picked. Just found pictures of Southern forests, and those pics came up. All kinds of subtropical flora in those forests, other than just palms, including evergreen trees, carnivorous plants, lianas, vines, all draping with spanish moss, a tropical bromeliad from Central/South America that ranges up to the US South.
There weren't even palms in several of those pics and several were coastal. Completely misleading like usual.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
There weren't even palms in several of those pics and several were coastal. Completely misleading like usual.
Of course you wont find specific trees in every single part of the forest. That's the thing with SE forests; they are very ecologically complex, and loads of biodiversity, in both flora and fauna, so much that everywhere wont look the same. People in other parts of the country, where the forests are white-bread and boring, won't understand this.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Of course you wont find specific trees in every single part of the forest. That's the thing with SE forests; they are very ecologically complex, and loads of biodiversity, in both flora and fauna, so much that everywhere wont look the same. People in other parts of the country, where the forests are white-bread and boring, won't understand this.
So then the majority of forests in the SE don't actually look like that pic with all the palms like you claimed? Way to contradict yourself.

What is a "white-bread and boring" forests anyways?

Old 02-18-2016, 06:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Deserts are indeed pretty cool and well worth exploring tho sometimes I wished they weren't so monochrome in appearance. While an occasional mirage does appear to provide contrast, maybe if they had some grass and trees and a lake or nice stream or some two-tiered shrubbery with a little path bewteen...
Come visit the Sonora Desert sometime... and that means outside of Phoenix because the Phoenix area is generally void of the greenery you will see around Tucson and southern Arizona, rather than central. I feel like a lot of people visit Phoenix and expect the photos I posted and that's simply not true... So it's distorted for most people because they think of Phoenix when thinking of the Sonora and it's simply not the Sonora at it's best, and neither is the I-10 stretch which is another area of Arizona a lot of people see.

These are photos I took earlier today. If it wasn't overcast it would appear better so my apologies. This was taken in Tucson Mountain Park for anyone who is curious. Tucson Mountain Park is practically a cacti forest! Is that a thing?

Though I agree with your sentiment. A lot of deserts aren't lush.... I'd say 98% are not. The Mojave (So Cal/ Las Vegas desert) and the Great Basin (N. Nevada, Utah, N. Arizona) in general are not lush.

And if you want lakes or streams... you probably shouldn't come to a desert I mean they are here and there, along with desert swamps (called cienegas here) but are hard to find and are small when you do find them.
Attached Thumbnails
Natural features that don't really "wow" you-img_5195.jpg   Natural features that don't really "wow" you-img_5186.jpg  

Old 02-18-2016, 06:17 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
^^ The surrounding areas of Tucson look beautiful. I need to visit. Deserts always appealed to me, but mountains not so much.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
So then the majority of forests in the SE don't actually look like that pic with all the palms like you claimed? Way to contradict yourself.

What is a "white-bread and boring" forests anyways?
The forests of the US outside of the South all look whitebread and boring, like typical American forests you see in fairy tales and Disney movies (think Fox and Hound, Bambi, Touching Spirit Bear, etc), whether from the West Coast, or the Northeast. The forests in the SE, especially along the coast, are more exotic in comparison, with lianas, spanish moss, palm trees, broadleaf-evergreens, etc, to keep things looking exciting and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Come visit the Sonora Desert sometime... and that means outside of Phoenix because the Phoenix area is generally void of the greenery you will see around Tucson and southern Arizona, rather than central. I feel like a lot of people visit Phoenix and expect the photos I posted and that's simply not true... So it's distorted for most people because they think of Phoenix when thinking of the Sonora and it's simply not the Sonora at it's best, and neither is the I-10 stretch which is another area of Arizona a lot of people see.

These are photos I took earlier today. If it wasn't overcast it would appear better so my apologies. This was taken in Tucson Mountain Park for anyone who is curious. Tucson Mountain Park is practically a cacti forest! Is that a thing?

Though I agree with your sentiment. A lot of deserts aren't lush.... I'd say 98% are not. The Mojave (So Cal/ Las Vegas desert) and the Great Basin (N. Nevada, Utah, N. Arizona) in general are not lush.

And if you want lakes or streams... you probably shouldn't come to a desert I mean they are here and there, along with desert swamps (called cienegas here) but are hard to find and are small when you do find them.
Beautiful, yet still a wasteland compared to other natural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.