Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

This is really a matter of personal preference. I hate cold weather, so I never have to experience winter again.

I now live in Alabama and it's pretty great. Yeah, there are some days in late July and August that are sweltering. So what? Run the air conditioning and spend more time at the pool. Do your yardwork in the morning as opposed to the late afternoon.

What's more, if you're a Southern transplant, dress for the weather, just the way you would for winter up north. Wear cotton as opposed to synthetic fabrics and hydrate often. You'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Yup.
Personally, I prefer cold weather, but I'm in the minority. You don't hear too many people saying they plan on retiring to Minot, ND, International Falls, MN, or Barrow, AL for the winters or to get away from the heat.

A summer for me in the southeast basically consists of me going from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car, to my air conditioned office, back to my air conditioned car and back to me air conditioned house...interrupted periodically by exploding sweat when forced to spend more than 5 minutes in the sun and humidity...
Well no one is going to want to retire to Barrow, Alaska anyway with the Vampire problem there.

Aren't there only 2 people left alive there?

Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM

28 posts, read 100,557 times
Depends on the individual although id have to say cold weather comes with a lot more problems then hot...why do you think older people retire to FL....its very hot and humid yet central and south florida is inundated with senior citizens...My grandfather lives in TX, is in his late 80's and still works out in the yard.you dont have to worry about snow, frozen pipes, ice on the roads and hypthermia..vs just heat t exhaustion which is easily avoided with air conditioning and by staying hydrated..i dont love ultra hot weather either but at least i can still get around and function instead of being holed up like a prisoner inside my house when there 3 feet of snow outside..also snow and icy conditions can make it difficult to get to a hospital in the even of a medical emergency.The ratio of people moving down south from the north vs north from South speaks for itself...im a biased southerner cant you tell

Old 02-28-2010, 01:52 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soucha View Post
I moved from FL because it was too hot ALL the time, day and night, I just couldn't stand the perpetual heat. Moving just a few latitudes to the north provides a nice cool evening in the summer and that has made all the difference! But also get freezing temps in winter for about 3 months :-( I also wasn't from FL, I was forced there as a teenager moving with my parents (same story though, Mom was tired of winter). I do wonder, having always lived in the east, what the yearly weather cycles are like in the west? I keep hearing it is more mild on the pacific coast (north CA, OR, Wa), not too hot or too cold? I have read the higher altitude southwest, like Santa Fe and Flagstaff are very nice with four seasons (but can have blizzards??), and that the Albuquerque and Phoenix areas are nice, but very very hot... with cooler evenings too. Can anybody tell me about it?? I have visited, but I know living year round is different. :-)
Albuquerque and Phoenix have quite different climates. Phoenix is about 15 degrees warmer year round. Albuquerque doesn't even seem hot compared to Phoenix.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default Actually,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Well no one is going to want to retire to Barrow, Alaska anyway with the Vampire problem there.

Aren't there only 2 people left alive there?
I am thinking I would probably LIKE Alaska. The older I get and the longer I live in Florida, the less I can take any kind of heat; physically (heat hives) and mentally. I've been to Maine in the summer and even there it gets into the 70s, which I cannot take anymore either.

I am 61. I have SUMMER SAD and break out all over in hives from sun and heat. My dermatologist said say out of the SUN. Good luck living in Florida.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am thinking I would probably LIKE Alaska. The older I get and the longer I live in Florida, the less I can take any kind of heat; physically (heat hives) and mentally. I've been to Maine in the summer and even there it gets into the 70s, which I cannot take anymore either.

I am 61. I have SUMMER SAD and break out all over in hives from sun and heat. My dermatologist said say out of the SUN. Good luck living in Florida.
That in no way addressed the Vampire issue.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I've been to Maine in the summer and even there it gets into the 70s, which I cannot take anymore either.
I've been to Maine in the summer (early June) when it's been over 95 degrees.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:57 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
I say brutal winters.

I can't stand the cold weather and I get really sick during the winter season (BRRRR!).

I can handle the heat better than I can the cold. I'll take a brutal summer any day. But a brutal winter, NO DAMN WAY!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
That in no way addressed the Vampire issue.
In Chicago, we got rid of our politicians with vampires. And then we rid ourselves of the vampires with zombies.

We haven't figured out the zombie problem just yet, but we're working on it.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
In Chicago, we got rid of our politicians with vampires. And then we rid ourselves of the vampires with zombies.

We haven't figured out the zombie problem just yet, but we're working on it.
Always remember rule #4, doubletap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.