Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:37 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,410,136 times

Advertisements

I think we're going to see rich people in the cities while poorer people will be forced out to the suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:41 AM

3,394 posts, read 4,562,911 times
Detroit and parts of California. The rich Democrats will live in urban cities, while the Republicans live in suburbs, exurbs and rural areas. Cities will become a two class society for the rich and poor, no middle class.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,978,453 times
Default which one?

In a general way, a city that is mostly Single Family Homes/with yards. The handful of exceptions are exceptions, and keep coming up in lists of the most urban cities.

I think the next big change for the average city is the addition of faux urban or pseudo-urban development. Basically squeezing suburban like forms into quasi urban shells, to create hybrids.

I expect the suburbs to remain largely, if not entirely, suburban. With NIMBY-ism blocking attempts to "repair" or urbanize the suburbs. I expect that the suburbs will remain the largest component of a metropolitan area in terms of land area and population.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 02-21-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 02:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,737,287 times
I would say Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. These are the top cities loved by Millennials and they are the future of this country.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,068,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. These are the top cities loved by Millennials and they are the future of this country.
I would add Dallas. Despite the lack of publicity, it has been and continues to be one of the hottest real estate markets, up there with the ones you listed.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:20 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,450,353 times
I would say either Austin or Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
In a general way, a city that is mostly Single Family Homes/with yards. The handful of exceptions are exceptions, and keep coming up in lists of the most urban cities.

I think the next big change for the average city is the addition of faux urban or pseudo-urban development. Basically squeezing suburban like forms into quasi urban shells, to create hybrids.

I expect the suburbs to remain largely, if not entirely, suburban. With NIMBY-ism blocking attempts to "repair" or urbanize the suburbs. I expect that the suburbs will remain the largest component of a metropolitan area in terms of land area and population.
And what would this be exactly? Townhouses? Row houses?

Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would do a little reading up on current day Detroit versus the somewhat outdated vision of smoldering ruin as there is a lot of revitalization happening, and it's not the grim future you're alluding to.
You can buy a 7,000 square foot home for less than 700k in Detroit. Not entirely sure about that as the home would easily be a minimum of a million dollars anywhere else in this country. Hopefully revitalization is happening in Detroit, the city deserves and needs it, but it's going to happen slowly. Unless Detroit becomes the next Portland or Austin.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,978,453 times
Default faux urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
And what would this be exactly? Townhouses? Row houses?
Discussion of general topic….

Invasion of the faux cities - Salon.com

One example I have across mention of…..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santana_Row

The salon article had an interesting comment about "starter cities" in the suburbs.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:08 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,854,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I thought that that was an ongoing trend throughout the country for most cities. Was Pittsburgh spared the suburban migration?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Likely depends on the city. Moving the the suburbs/exurbs from my perspective "was so 90s". But some cities are seemingly going through this now. Thing is, the real estate bubble was burst pretty hard. While there has been some recovery, it's not like it used to be, where builders were going nuts laying out subdivisions further and further out from cities because they knew people would by the houses. People are more cautious now, and I believe this will curb exurban growth.
Pittsburgh became one of those trendy cities in the late 00s. Crime, high cost of living, etc. is pushing people out to the burbs. The fastest growing counties in Western PA are those outside of Allegheny County. The fastest growing county for years has been the Republican stronghold.

I have seen a million people on here looking for a low cost liberal city. It doesn't and won't ever exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.