Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most Celtic influenced?
Canadian Maritimes 16 55.17%
New England 9 31.03%
Appalachia 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times

Advertisements

No, read the book I suggested to understand the colonization of parts of America . The primary English ancestry in the US is the English Borderers. That is, those people who lived in northern England on the Scottish border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 AM

399 posts, read 820,758 times
I will say Canada is easily more Celtic than NE or Appalachia. I just read this about Prince Edwad Island on wikipedia.

Quote:
According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the largest ethnic group consists of people of Scottish descent (39.2%), followed by English (31.1%), Irish (30.4%), French (21.1%), German (5.2%), and Dutch (3.1%) descent. Prince Edward Island is mostly a white community and there are few visible minorities. Chinese people are the largest visible minority group of Prince Edward Island, comprising 1.3% of the province's population. Almost half of respondents identified their ethnicity as "Canadian." Most readers will not know that Prince Edward Island is by a strong margin the most Celtic and specifically the most Scottish province in Canada (often thought to be Nova Scotia) and perhaps the most Scottish place (ethnically) in the world, outside Scotland. 38% of islanders claim Scottish ancestry, but this is an underestimate and it is thought that almost 50% of islanders have Scottish roots. When combined with Irish and Welsh, almost 80% of islanders are of some Celtic stock, albeit most families have resided in PEI for at least two centuries. Few places outside Europe can claim such a homogenous Celtic ethnic background
Nova Scotia must be around 60-70% Celtic and New Brunswick around 50%, if we combined Scottish, Irish and Welsh ancestry. I don't know why people choose New England, is much more diverse and if we combined Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry, they only represent 25 %.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:03 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I will say Canada is easily more Celtic than NE or Appalachia. I just read this about Prince Edwad Island on wikipedia.

Nova Scotia must be around 60-70% Celtic and New Brunswick around 50%, if we combined Scottish, Irish and Welsh ancestry. I don't know why people choose New England, is much more diverse and if we combined Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry, they only represent 25 %.
I think New Brunswick is about 35% to 40%, Irish and Scottish and Welsh--but still even then that's more then New England. And New Brunswick is actually the least Celtic part of the Martimes or Atlantic Canada.

Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island even had their own dialect of Gaelic historically that's still spoken among some people even today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Gaelic

I think people picking New England are familiar with the high percentage of Irish in New England, but maybe don't realize that the Martimes had very high percentages of both Irish and Scottish(and also got Cornish, Welsh and so on). Canada has more of an imprint of Scottish immigration than the US, I think Ulster Scots or Scots-Irish didn't leave as much of a link back to Scotland as the Scots in Canada(being a crown colony for much longer also influenced this).

I think also the nature of the Martimes and Newfoundland, being sort of cutoff from the rest of Anglo Canada, sort of meant that the Celtic traditions sort of remained more undiluted than in other places. You didn't have the huge diversity of immigrants that you'd have in places where the Irish settled in the US.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:39 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...ucky_Coalfield

But I thought English ancestry was limited to old money types, Yankee New Englanders and Mormons.
Most people who list their ancestry as "American" are a mix of the original English, Scots Irish, German, Welsh, French, and Dutch pioneers. When you've been an ethnically mixed American for 350 years why choose one? I'm from Kentucky and English is probably my most common ancestry though still a plurality. I had no idea what my ethnic ancestry was because after 10 to 15 generations those stories are lost. But yes, there were lots of English settlers in Virginia whose descendants later moved west. I'd guess there were actually more English in Virginia than Massachusetts.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM

399 posts, read 820,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I think New Brunswick is about 35% to 40%, Irish and Scottish and Welsh--but still even then that's more then New England. And New Brunswick is actually the least Celtic part of the Martimes or Atlantic Canada.
There's also half of the population of New Brunswick (57,78 %) who listed themselves of Canadian ancestry and I suppose most of them must be of British, Irish or French descent that's why I suggest 50 %.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:54 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most people who list their ancestry as "American" are a mix of the original English, Scots Irish, German, Welsh, French, and Dutch pioneers. When you've been an ethnically mixed American for 350 years why choose one? I'm from Kentucky and English is probably my most common ancestry though still a plurality. I had no idea what my ethnic ancestry was because after 10 to 15 generations those stories are lost. But yes, there were lots of English settlers in Virginia whose descendants later moved west. I'd guess there were actually more English in Virginia than Massachusetts.
Sure, there's very few "unmixed" Scots-Irish and so on. But if you tallied it up everything, more people would have at least some English ancestry than anything else, Scots-Irish would be second and German would be a very, very distant third.

I think there's also a stereotype of the English being effete and upper class while the Celts have a romantic, rugged individualist "Braveheart" image. In popular culture Appalachian whites and Scots-Irish are often seen as synonymous, hence the stories of how Obama couldn't appeal at all to the "Scotch-Irish vote" (which doesn't exist).

Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
There's also half of the population of New Brunswick (57,78 %) who listed themselves of Canadian ancestry and I suppose most of them must be of British, Irish or French descent that's why I suggest 50 %.
Ah yes, good point, I missed that initially when looking at the percentages. Canadian ethnicity could be a lot of things--either way there's a good chance there's a lot of Scottish and Irish in that group.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:09 PM

Here's an article on the impact of 1815-1860 immigration to the Maritimes, which was the last wave of mass immigration to the region. It was basically Scottish and Irish. There was little direction immigration from England, so those of English ancestry (30% of the population in both NB and NS in 1861, less in PEI) were the descendants of Loyalists and pre-Loyalist New England Planters.

http://www.canadian-studies.net/lccs...09/Buckner.pdf

Nova Scotia itself has an east-west split: a Highland Scottish east and Loyalist west.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The Pittsburgh area was originally settled by the "Scotch-Irish". The Presbyterian church is very influential there. There are several Presbyterian colleges and two Presbyterian seminaries in the area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_Americans
RPTS Study Under Pastors Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Pittsburgh Theological Seminary - A Seminary of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
I think Pittsburgh is probably the real Scots-Irish capital of America. I think they immigrated there into the 19th century. Presbyterianism was the religion of Pittsburgh's elite where elsewhere they were mostly Episcopalian.

One of Pittsburgh's most famous residents, Fred Rogers, was an ordained Presbyterian minister.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I think Pittsburgh is probably the real Scots-Irish capital of America. I think they immigrated there into the 19th century. Presbyterianism was the religion of Pittsburgh's elite where elsewhere they were mostly Episcopalian.

One of Pittsburgh's most famous residents, Fred Rogers, was an ordained Presbyterian minister.
Yes, I knew that about Mr. Rogers. Here in Denver, the Coors family is Catholic. I don't know about the rest of Denver's elite. I'm not friends with any of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.