Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How closely aligned is your perception of metro size with mine?
About the same 21 47.73%
To me, a medium sized metro is larger than what you consider to be medium 7 15.91%
To me, a medium sized metro is smaller than what you would consider to be medium 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:48 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Detroit has a metro that's more than 4million, it seems to go against your logic.
As I mentioned, I judge city size mostly by Urbanized Area, or UA. Detroit's UA is maybe 3.7 or 3.8 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Detroit is a major metro area, I've always viewed it as such.
I do not. I view it as a mid-sized city (though definitely on the very high end of that spectrum), and certainly not as a "major metro", which to me would imply both population size and some level of "cultural status" a la NYC, LA and Chicago.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Everyone can agree large metro areas are:

1. New York city
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Phoenix/Philadelphia
6. DC Metro

Medium:
in no particular oder

Boston
Dallas
San Fran
Miami/Ft Lauderdale
Atlanta
Seattle
Atlanta
San Diego

Smallish:
Charlotte
San Antonio
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cinncinatti
Indianapolis
Portland Oregon

Old 02-26-2016, 07:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Everyone can agree large metro areas are:

1. New York city
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Phoenix/Philadelphia
6. DC Metro

Medium:
in no particular oder

Boston
Dallas
San Fran
Miami/Ft Lauderdale
Atlanta
Seattle
Atlanta
San Diego

Smallish:
Charlotte
San Antonio
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cinncinatti
Indianapolis
Portland Oregon
Phoenix and Detroit are very similar sized, so no, I don't think everybody agrees on those two. Plus, you left off Detroit. Pull Phoenix with the "Medium" group, especially since Boston, Dallas, SF, Miami and Atlanta are bigger than Phoenix. Finally, you also omitted Minneapolis-St. Paul, which is the same size as San Diego.

I sense a Western bias...

Old 02-26-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Do you mean Small Metro, instead of Small City? I don't understand how those with a metro around 500-1 Mill, could be considered a Small city, although be considered Major at the same time.
No I don't. It's probably just a matter of perception and I guess value judgement, to an extent. I don't think of any of those sized cities as "major" in any way. In fact, I only think there are maybe 5 "major metros" in the US. As I said, I think of places like Portland, Cincy, Memphis, New Orleans, Buffalo, etc. as "small cities". I think of places like Baltimore, Denver and Seattle as mid-sized, and places like DC, Dallas, and Miami as "big cities".

I don't think there are many big cities. In fact, I don't think there are many "cities". In my mind, anything smaller than Knoxville or Toledo isn't a city. It's a "town". I'm from a town, lived in several towns from the Midwest to the PacNW, and I live in a small city now, and if I ever left it it would be for a smaller town. So it's not a slam, it's just how I classify the places people live in my mind.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 AM

These things all have definitions....we don't have to speculate.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:24 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Your perception...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Phoenix and Detroit are very similar sized, so no, I don't think everybody agrees on those two. Plus, you left off Detroit. Pull Phoenix with the "Medium" group, especially since Boston, Dallas, SF, Miami and Atlanta are bigger than Phoenix. Finally, you also omitted Minneapolis-St. Paul, which is the same size as San Diego.

I'd agree with that analysis even though I think I saw that that member was from Miami.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Your senses must be off, because I have no connection or affiliation with the west.
Strictly east coast through and through.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Your senses must be off, because I have no connection or affiliation with the west.
Strictly east coast through and through.
Sunbelt bias then (or anti-Midwest bias).....but no big deal, just thought I'd offer some feedback.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Sunbelt bias then (or anti-Midwest bias).....but no big deal, just thought I'd offer some feedback.
lol oh yeah.... totes "anti-midwest."
You nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.