Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccb138 View Post
That's what I would expect... that the towns nearby would be sort of the same... Which is why I was wondering why so many people specifically said Montclair. Is there something about Montclair which made all those people say it instead of Summit or the other towns the last poster mentioned?
Montclair is bigger than most of the other towns mentioned, and has a larger downtown area, so I think it's more well-known and more of a destination within the region. It has a reputation for having the best and most diverse range of restaurants in North Jersey (most are BYO alcohol, which I love!!). It also has a rep for being home to a large community of artists (though I don't know much about it). It's really a very nice town. Lots of parks, good train service to Newark and Manhattan, diverse range of housing types, a university. I have some photos of Montclair Center (the larger of Montclair's two downtowns), linked below.

Lammius, Montclair Photo Album

If you narrow your focus to NJ, or Montclair specifically, I'd recommend posting questions in the NJ forum. Locals will be able to give you the most useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,855,238 times
Trust me, having been to both places, Asheville, NC is much nicer. I really believe you would fall in live with this city if you should visit it.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 33,025 times
Default come to lambertville, nj

I've lived in the New Hope/Lambertville area 30 yrs. Easy access to NY or Philly, but you get a country vibe and a riverside ambiance. Within reach of major highways, but you'd never know it. All walks of life welcome. Mix of blue collar, white collar, old and young, gay and straight. Art & food & music are appreciated here, without being trendy. You can live here on a tight income and still feel rich. ;o)

Rivergull

Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,602,078 times
I think you just described New Hope, PA.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 PM

990 posts, read 3,175,957 times
Annapolis, Maryland

Dover, Conneticut

Baltimore, Maryland

Good luck

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Takoma Park, Maryland--"the Berkeley of the east"

Takoma Park, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or would you be looking for the Sausalito (or Tiburon) of the East?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,850,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Jamaica Plain, Boston comes to mind. There are some incredible, huge houses even though it is in a metropolitan area and on public transportation as well. I think it has a sizable gay/lesbian population, plenty of artists and other professionals and some great eats. I imagine googling it would provide additional info.

Guess this is not exactly between NYC and Washington but it came to mind so thought I would mention it.
One question I might raise related to JP is whether the op really wants a suburb with the preferred characteristics. JP is a section of the city of Boston. Some parts of JP are quite urban. If that works, and if being north of the preferred geographic range isn't a problem, another place in the Boston area worth considering would be Cambridge.

One post suggested Portland, ME. I don't know how big a metropolitan area you need. Be aware that Portland, while it might fit most of your requirements well, is a smaller metro (same with Asheville and Ithaca, which have also been suggested). It's about two hours from Boston, so if you would need to make only occasional day trips to a larger metro Portland might work, but Portland may be on the small side if you need a major metro on a daily basis.

It may be a stretch, but one possiblity that comes to mind in New England would be Provincetown, MA. It's on the outer tip of Cape Cod, but Boston is within commuting range via commuter boat. One note of caution there, in case it might be an issue, would be that any place on Cape Cod is going to be very touristy during the summer.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,496,870 times
I also thought of Arden DE. I drove through there on vacation last summer and it still has the unpretentious hippie vibe. Very beautiful gardens. It was built as a utopian community, you own the house but not the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.