Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Because ohio and ill have 20 + i believe. Thats why its important. Other than that ohio sucks but cinni is pretty cool. Cleveland is cleaning up. Columbus is the capital so its gonna get what it needs. Outside of chicago nowhere else matters in ill. Midwest states are bigger than southern states (outside of texas) bigger then north east states but what im saying is those states are bigger so they tend to have more people which is why alot of those types of votes.

That doesn't mean the cities or states outperform others. Other than chicago and no city in midwest compares to boston. Mass also has beautiful country side also if you never been . Midwest growth is comming from the midwest and alot of people that already live in the cities leave for east or west coast. Never heard someone from l.a sayjng im moving to st.pual Minneapolis or iowa or ohio. Same for many other states west south north

The vast majority of the population in MN, IL, WI, and MI are in less than 1/3 of the geography of those states. They're not sprawling to get more people.

And I've never met anyone who said they were moving to Boston, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. If I was as thick as you I'd say that Minneapolis was more popular than Boston because it's growing faster. FWIW I have met people from LA who moved to Minneapolis-St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I, for one, am sick of the either aggressive, or passive aggressive bashing of the Midwest. Sick of it, because people who are doing the bashing must be so insecure, they feel the need? Who was comparing anything to Boston? Good grief. I think I'm just going to disassociate myself from this forum. Please ban me, moderators, and spare me this anonymous bullying by people who, evidently, have nothing more important in their life to do.
I, for one, am amused by the agressive and passive agressive behavior of some midwesterners. My God, you can't even say Minneapolis is cold in the winter without igniting a firestorm.

If you feel CD is so odious, by all means, disassociate yourself.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:29 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Im saying is take Missouri for example. People that live in the country side are moving to the cities. Younger people. Which is what make cities grow. If you look at the data alot of growth is from people going to these cities are comming for country side. Now for the people that live in the cities already, most of them stay but alot tends to leave. Either for warmer weather, more opportunities, or new start. Not saying there isnt any opportunities in the midwest but you get the ghist of it.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:43 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I, for one, am amused by the agressive and passive agressive behavior of some midwesterners. My God, you can't even say Minneapolis is cold in the winter without igniting a firestorm.

Oh, I'm sure I'll be disassociated, soon, by the moderators. BUT, please don't call my behavior aggressive and passive-aggressive, when I'm facing this head-on. I think it's ridiculously aggressive (or passive, depending on the post), to harp on Minneapolis' weather being cold. I mean, come on, how many times does this need to be pointed out. That's just one example. People derive their glee in the weirdest ways.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 AM

95 posts, read 204,250 times
The midwest doesn't get as cold as it used to. Also, the winters in the Pacific Northwest are just as hard on me as the winters were in Wisconsin. Especially this last one. Maybe that's just me though. My family and I love living in Oregon, and we're not looking to leave; we've been here for almost 10 years now, and will be for the next few years for sure, but if an opportunity opened itself up for us, say in Madison or Minneapolis, we would really consider it. I think people will start moving again to the Midwest, the costs are just getting too high on the coasts. Housing is cheaper, the public schools are way better (with the exception of inner city schools), and the recreation is much better than people give it credit for, though I can see it's not for everybody. I personally miss the Northwoods and its lakes, the Great Lakes beaches and islands, and the Driftless Region and Upper Mississippi. I would really miss the Cascades and the coast though if we were to move back, and Oregon summers are hard to beat. I feel so conflicted!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:46 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
I understand the frustration. Some of these coast huggers are relentless on this site. And where the hell did Boston come from? nobody around here even thinks about Boston.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean33 View Post
The midwest doesn't get as cold as it used to. Also, the winters in the Pacific Northwest are just as hard on me as the winters were in Wisconsin. Especially this last one. Maybe that's just me though. My family and I love living in Oregon, and we're not looking to leave; we've been here for almost 10 years now, and will be for the next few years for sure, but if an opportunity opened itself up for us, say in Madison or Minneapolis, we would really consider it. I think people will start moving again to the Midwest, the costs are just getting too high on the coasts. Housing is cheaper, the public schools are way better (with the exception of inner city schools), and the recreation is much better than people give it credit for, though I can see it's not for everybody. I personally miss the Northwoods and its lakes, the Great Lakes beaches and islands, and the Driftless Region and Upper Mississippi. I would really miss the Cascades and the coast though if we were to move back, and Oregon summers are hard to beat. I feel so conflicted!
Good post, as the Midwest may rise again, since housing costs in the Northeast and CA/Seattle are becoming extreme. Lots of great Midwestern places to live , such as Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Madison..

Old 03-12-2016, 12:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

You gotta be kidding me! The one and only thing people say about Minneapolis is that it's cold. We get it, and don't deny it. We just get sick and tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.

In other news, New York is big, Chicago has violence, Atlanta sprawls, and Phoenix is hot.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:25 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
People, you do realize that sub-freezing counts nighttime lows, right? There are plenty of "pleasant" days in November, Feb., and March. January is the longest stretch of cold, but in Milwaukee at my daughter's country club, they were golfing in March, this year and last year, for a few days. The cold doesn't last all year, and the rest of the year is simply beautiful. Sorry to disappoint, but I think the weather (except for one month) is quite wonderful. People seem to like to shove this point home, and it is really silly. Those of us who live here, know exactly what it's like. Please stop trying to tell us about our winters.
Being able to golf in March in WI is probably rare, and even then I doubt it's pleasant. It's probably still muddy (even if no snowpack), the grass isn't green, etc. Today in Indy, it's about 65 and pleasant, but muddy outside because of all the rain this week and the grass is barely starting to green up. It's nice to open the windows and go for a walk, but no outdoor restaurants/businesses are really open yet (save golf courses

Old 03-12-2016, 12:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Okay... so what? Minneapolis is quite cold, I'm not sure anyone is disagreeing with you here... saying those other cities are warmer is fine, but I'm just saying that they have in a different climate. And all of them receive far less sunlight in the winter, both because of far greater and more frequent cloud cover and a higher latitude which tilts them much further from the sun in the winter, which results in shorter daylight hours.

And yes, most of the Midwest and Upper Northeast/New England is in the humid continental climate so they will get cold winters. Denver/The Front Range is in the arid continental climate so they too will get bitterly cold temperatures. While they tend to have higher highs, they also have lower lows than areas of equal latitude in the Midwest/Northeast because the air is so dry. For example in KC the average January low is 22.5, whilst in Denver, at roughly the same latitude, it's 17.5. That's not an insignificant difference. That being said, there are more microclimates at play in the west which can have greater local effects. I.e. Cheyenne, WY has warmer lows than Denver by about half a degree.
The average low temperature in KC is certainly not 22.5, not sure where you're pulling that statistic from, unless climate change warmed up the average January low temperatures over 5-6F in the last 15+ years..
As mentioned many times, KC has nothing in common with the climate of the majority of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.