Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
What does Judaism have anything to do with "slow population growth"?

Not much frankly. It's just an example of a thread that gets sidetracked because of the comment(s) of one member.
Now, let's return to the topic at hand, i.e. "Slow Population Growth in the Midwest"'..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 02:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Cold winters, lack of diversity, no public transportation, bland, lack of synagogues/Jewish community
Hilariously inaccurate. The Cleveland suburb of Beachwood has one of the highest percentage of Jews in the country (90%) and the Cleveland area has about 100,000 Jews. Pretty large percentage of the metro. Chicago has over a quarter million. Detroit has a good number as well.

Diversity in the midwest is huge. There are eastern and central europeans of all kinds, blacks, hispanics, a growing Asian population and most importantly, not everyone is an intellectual clone of each other. That's the only true diversity.

Someone with the username Warszawa should be aware of the HUGE Polish communities in places like Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago. What a shame.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Cold winters, lack of diversity, no public transportation, bland, lack of synagogues/Jewish community
Everyone already corrected you on the diversity comment. As far as public transportation, every single major city in the midwest has public transportation, what are you talking about?
The Midwest is bland how?
and are you seriously criticizing the midwest on having cold winters when you live on the east coast which has been blasted with severe winter storms much worse than the Midwest for the past few years?
Are you saying the east coast has the same problems then? Because another poster pointed out that the east coast isn't doing much better in it's population growth either.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
the Cleveland area has about 100,000 Jews.
According to latest estimates, the Jewish population of metro Cleveland is 80,800. Pretty impressive, but not quite 100,000.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am an ex Midwesterner, and in my opinion the slow growth has two major reasons behind it. One is the weather, some people just do not like the cold hard winters (especially the upper Midwest). The other reason is the economy. Offshoring of jobs affected the Midwest in an extreme way. Indiana, Ohio and Michigan were hardest hit. Even today Midwest cities like Detroit and more recently Flint Mi have been in the news for catastrophic economic and infrastructure failures. These things keep people from considering the Midwest as a place to live or do business. It is also a fact that the good things about Midwestern life are not really well known. Most Americans do not realize how beautiful the upper Mississippi valley is, or how beautiful the Great Lakes coastline is. Most don't know how low the cost of living is there, nor do they know how peaceful small town life is in that part of America. All they know is the news of murders in Chicago, bankruptcies in Detroit or poison water in Flint Michigan. They see the blizzards, 30 below zero weather but they do not see the good things. It is an image problem at its core. I know I said I was an "ex Midwesterner" so obviously I decided it was not for me anymore. However that does not mean its a bad place to live, on the contrary for the right type of person it can be a great place. It is so much more than the very troubled places that get so much press up there. There are some very underated places in the Midwest.
Agree with most of your points. Still, you have to look at it from this point of view too - what makes news out of the Midwest these days is mostly crime and mismanagement. Chicago and Detroit have become synonymous with crime. To a lesser extent, so have St. Louis and Cleveland. Flint, Toledo, Youngstown, and other smaller metros are in a state of disrepair. Throw in a few newsworthy incidents like Michael Brown, and it leaves a sour taste in a lot of folks' mouths.

The best parts of the Midwet IMO are still in small towns that are like stepping back in a time machine in a way. Sadly, those places don't have many jobs. The big metros in the Midwest are typically not around in the scenic areas. Southern IN and the west coast of MI are beautiful, but that's not where the job centers are.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:19 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agree with most of your points. Still, you have to look at it from this point of view too - what makes news out of the Midwest these days is mostly crime and mismanagement. Chicago and Detroit have become synonymous with crime. To a lesser extent, so have St. Louis and Cleveland. Flint, Toledo, Youngstown, and other smaller metros are in a state of disrepair. Throw in a few newsworthy incidents like Michael Brown, and it leaves a sour taste in a lot of folks' mouths.

The best parts of the Midwet IMO are still in small towns that are like stepping back in a time machine in a way. Sadly, those places don't have many jobs. The big metros in the Midwest are typically not around in the scenic areas. Southern IN and the west coast of MI are beautiful, but that's not where the job centers are.
I have to at least partially disagree with this. I live in a cute "Mayberry" town with about 4,000 residents that has a village square with a gazebo, Civil War cannon, and multiple shops and restaurants with a riverfront with an old mill and dam/waterfall right around the corner from the village square. It is a lovely place to live; crime is almost non-existent, people are friendly, low COL, etc. but we are still only 20 min. from Ann Arbor, 20 min. from Toledo, and an hour from the upscale suburbs of Metro Detroit, meaning that high paying jobs are only a reasonable commute away, and we are also only 20 min. from a Great Lake and its beaches, and an hour from Canada. It's all in where the small town is located, and there are many, many, desirable small towns located fairly near large cities for jobs, shopping, sporting events, etc.

I see what you are saying about small Midwestern towns in the center of states that are truly not close to a large city, but these towns are often fairly self sustaining and filled with people who grew up there and have managed to make a living just like their parents and grandparents did before them, which is why small towns in the Midwest tend to look more prosperous than small towns in some other regions of the country.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am an ex Midwesterner, and in my opinion the slow growth has two major reasons behind it. One is the weather, some people just do not like the cold hard winters (especially the upper Midwest). The other reason is the economy. Offshoring of jobs affected the Midwest in an extreme way. Indiana, Ohio and Michigan were hardest hit. Even today Midwest cities like Detroit and more recently Flint Mi have been in the news for catastrophic economic and infrastructure failures. These things keep people from considering the Midwest as a place to live or do business. It is also a fact that the good things about Midwestern life are not really well known. Most Americans do not realize how beautiful the upper Mississippi valley is, or how beautiful the Great Lakes coastline is. Most don't know how low the cost of living is there, nor do they know how peaceful small town life is in that part of America. All they know is the news of murders in Chicago, bankruptcies in Detroit or poison water in Flint Michigan. They see the blizzards, 30 below zero weather but they do not see the good things. It is an image problem at its core. I know I said I was an "ex Midwesterner" so obviously I decided it was not for me anymore. However that does not mean its a bad place to live, on the contrary for the right type of person it can be a great place. It is so much more than the very troubled places that get so much press up there. There are some very underated places in the Midwest.
It seems people, in general, have changed? It used to be many liked the cold weather, as they were from a cold area in Europe. Maybe the cold weather tolerance has some evolutionary base, as we know minor single phenotype changes occur much faster than gene groups.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I think any major Midwest city that is on a Great Lake, that looks like an ocean, would be considered in a "scenic area."

Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think any major Midwest city that is on a Great Lake, that looks like an ocean, would be considered in a "scenic area."

The Great Lakes are often referred to as the "Third Coast"

Old 03-08-2016, 08:05 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The Great Lakes are often referred to as the "Third Coast"
Uh oh, you opened a can of worms, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.