Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

I was thinking for flatwater the OP could live near Lake Lure, NC. It is In the middle of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I was thinking for flatwater the OP could live near Lake Lure, NC. It is In the middle of the mountains.
She wants to stay in the west.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Maybe Orange, California? Nice little downtown, right out of Mayberry but a bit pricey)
You have to seek out the art scene, but its here. Santa Ana (adjacent to Orange) looks like it will be a huge arts epicenter in a few years

I'm an Art Director, and I find that my city (Huntington Beach) offers almost everything you want -except the liberal part
But Orange County Conservatives are not like bible belt conservatives.

Very Dog friendly community: we even have a dog beach
You can still find deals on rentals (there is a two bedroom in our Resort-Like Condo Community going for $1800) I see rental signs for 1600.

We are walking distance to the Beach and Harbor (harbor is a great place to paddle and row)
Mountains and Deserts are about 1.5 hour away.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffer76 View Post

Water, culture, nature, liberals, affordable - and a day's drive from my family. Why is that so damn difficult?
It's not. But, you have put the kabash on every viable suggestion. It's all of the above, but you don't like the student housing area, blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffer76 View Post
You can't always get what you want, but preferring to live in a diverse, liberal, artsy community, or within a 90 minute drive of one, doesn't make me a jerk
No, but it limits your options, which you aren't accepting, even when viable options have been presented, which is getting on everyone's nerves who are trying to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Maybe Orange, California? Nice little downtown, right out of Mayberry but a bit pricey)
You have to seek out the art scene, but its here. Santa Ana (adjacent to Orange) looks like it will be a huge arts epicenter in a few years

I'm an Art Director, and I find that my city (Huntington Beach) offers almost everything you want -except the liberal part
But Orange County Conservatives are not like bible belt conservatives.

Very Dog friendly community: we even have a dog beach
You can still find deals on rentals (there is a two bedroom in our Resort-Like Condo Community going for $1800) I see rental signs for 1600.

We are walking distance to the Beach and Harbor (harbor is a great place to paddle and row)
Mountains and Deserts are about 1.5 hour away.
But, wait....it's farther than 90 minutes from the Bay Area.

I'm starting to think this poster is only here for entertainment value, which is another definition for....starts with a "T."

Old 03-11-2016, 02:59 PM

Speak for yourself.
She's not getting on my nerves.
If she's getting on your nerves, that's on you.
She's trying to find a place to be and that's huge.
And there's no reason that she has to like any of the suggestions that have been presented.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Speak for yourself.
She's not getting on my nerves.
If she's getting on your nerves, that's on you.
She's trying to find a place to be and that's huge.
And there's no reason that she has to like any of the suggestions that have been presented.
Well, carry on then. I'm curious though. If you live in Idaho, why does your location say Santa Cruz?

Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, carry on then. I'm curious though. If you live in Idaho, why does your location say Santa Cruz?
Who said i lived in Idaho?
Not i.
I've considered it many times though.
Like i said in a previous post i have family who have been in Ketchum since the 1950's and i've spent lots and lots of time in the valley and i know it well.
I've driven back and forth more times than i can count (especially this winter as someone very close to me was seriously ill and then passed away in Ketchum and ... i feel like a ping-pong ball bouncing between two very different places ... a bit much actually).

But Jiffer (if you're still around and still considering) .... it's really not a bad drive! Everytime i drive across the Nevada desert it's positively transformative.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's not. But, you have put the kabash on every viable suggestion. It's all of the above, but you don't like the student housing area, blah blah.

No, but it limits your options, which you aren't accepting, even when viable options have been presented, which is getting on everyone's nerves who are trying to help you.

But, wait....it's farther than 90 minutes from the Bay Area.

I'm starting to think this poster is only here for entertainment value, which is another definition for....starts with a "T."
More like "bring me another rock".

Old 03-11-2016, 06:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ventura or Ojai or especially due to budget, Oxnard or Port Hueneme, CA (all near each other).
OP, you never commented on my suggestions, but take a look:

https://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/5444989173.html

Just one of 176 listings under $1,500. Don't ignore Ventura County. You don't have to give up California

https://ventura.craigslist.org/searc...00.&bedrooms=2

Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Who said i lived in Idaho?
Not i.
I've considered it many times though.
Like i said in a previous post i have family who have been in Ketchum since the 1950's and i've spent lots and lots of time in the valley and i know it well.
I've driven back and forth more times than i can count (especially this winter as someone very close to me was seriously ill and then passed away in Ketchum and ... i feel like a ping-pong ball bouncing between two very different places ... a bit much actually).

But Jiffer (if you're still around and still considering) .... it's really not a bad drive! Everytime i drive across the Nevada desert it's positively transformative.
My mistake. Sorry about losing your loved one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.