Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM

153 posts, read 200,779 times

Advertisements

Glacier Park and the Canadian Rockies are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:12 AM

286 posts, read 295,021 times
Adirondack mountains , heldebergs and catskill mountains thick forests, rolling hills and beustoful lakes of the great upstate

Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
I prefer places with big skies... It's actually my favorite part about Arizona. Even in Phoenix you can see horizon to horizon. From Marana I can see Four Peaks... That is a HUGE distance and that says a lot.

I love mountains. A lot. Even the ant hills out by where I live to the Rockies in Colorado, and the mountains out East.

I love forests as well but they contradict the big sky thing so it's tough on that issue.

I'm not a fan of plains personally, they are just too "plain" for me . At least in the wide basins of Southern Arizona there are some mountains in the background, or a weird-looking cactus. Hills are kind of meh in my eyes. Outside of those two I pretty much like anything.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:20 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Living in the Carolina's, I've learned to love different terrains. I really like the variety.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
The Northwoods, (UP of Michigan, northern Wisconsin, northern Minnesota, Adirondacks, etc). Anywhere geologically in the Canadian Shield.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:36 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I would say I like moderately flat terrain with some rolling hills, streams, maybe some ponds or some small lakes every once in a while, with patches of woods interspersed farms.

Basically southern Michigan (where I live) fits this description perfectly, which might be why I'm biased towards this.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM

18 posts, read 23,766 times
I'm with OP. I like a long sight-line. I think growing up in Kansas really stunted my spatial ability, though. I completely fail at navigating more complicated terrain!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM

21 posts, read 18,106 times
I really love to look at the mountain ranges when I travel West. Just no other sight like it. There are no mountains in Wisconsin, but love the hilly region by Prairie du Chien.

Anything new is really an adventure for me, so enjoy the differences. Just like to visit a state to say I've been there, kinda thing. I like rural places and tend to avoid the big cities except to see museums, zoos, etc.

Love small towns that have some history and towns with a street full of antique stores, quaint shops and small cafes.

As far as where I tend to live. I look for water of some kind and I like a tree here and there. I think I could handle a desert, though, too. I mean it's kind of like a desert of snow in Wisconsin for half the year. It's kind of along the same lines.

Overall, wilderness appeals to me. There are stretches in Wisconsin where the trees are thick and make the road feel so small and insignificant, like a dark shadow is going to reach out and grab you. I love that creepy Hitchcock feeling deep woods can give you.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
I like old architecture/towns and the ocean. Give me old towns with many old colonial and Victorian homes within a couple hours of the beach and I'm good. In other words, I'm good just where I am.

Don't care much for mountains. Forests are nice because I do like greenery (second to a beach scene IMO - that vibrant summer green) but I've never been a mountain-y person. They're nice but I much prefer a coastal area over a mountain/lake area.

To be more particular about beaches, I really like sand dunes and barrier islands. I like having the bay on one side and the ocean on the other, with lagoons and coastal rivers in between. I love dune grass and the natural wildlife of the preserved beaches. I think there is so much you can do in a barrier island atmosphere, and access to the beach is fairly easy, as the area is relatively flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.