Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 02:01 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,740,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
While you're at it, kick off your shoes, get knocked up again and rustle up some victuals in the kitchen.
He has a point, though. Bugs and heat are hardly valid reasons for uprooting an entire family. There are countless ways of coping with both. If her husband isn't convinced that moving is necessary then it is probably not the best idea for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:36 PM

160 posts, read 231,187 times
What about breathing problems. I never had to take 2 allergy medications year-round and sometimes a rescue inhaler in other places I've lived, only needed to take a single seasonal allergy medicine and here, the medicine only takes the edge off. My child could die if she gets bit by a fire ant and possibly the other kids could have the same allergy since my husband has it and I don't know if I'm allergic. It's not just bugs are a nuisance. They are literally dangerous and unavoidable unless you want to be stuck at home or stay on pavement all the time- avoid cracks in side walks though as you could find fire ants there, too.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:48 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,189,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You should stay where you are. You have 4 kids and you don't work. There is no additional financial support coming from you. He is supporting the entire family. Do what he wants. He is the bread winner. If he doesn't want to move, then suck it up. Your family is better off than most. If you move and it doesn't work out for him jobwise, then you are all up a creek and your husband will blame you.
And she should watch where she steps or sits, fire ant mounds are very visible.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:12 PM

160 posts, read 231,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
And she should watch where she steps or sits, fire ant mounds are very visible.
She's just about to turn 5, easier said than done and they were crawling all over the playground at the park. I didn't even see them at first until I had some on me.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,309,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
My biggest issues with Texas are the pests (fire ants, mosquitoes and brown recluse spiders in particular), the militant Evangelicalism and social conservatism in some areas (especially Dallas-Fort Worth) and the fact that winters are long, cold and offer absolutely no respite for the brutally hot and humid summers (in much of the state).
winters are long and cold in texas?

Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 PM

40 posts, read 45,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
winters are long and cold in texas?
It only applies to the Panhandle, and even then, just barely so.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 PM

23,967 posts, read 10,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
What about breathing problems. I never had to take 2 allergy medications year-round and sometimes a rescue inhaler in other places I've lived, only needed to take a single seasonal allergy medicine and here, the medicine only takes the edge off. My child could die if she gets bit by a fire ant and possibly the other kids could have the same allergy since my husband has it and I don't know if I'm allergic. It's not just bugs are a nuisance. They are literally dangerous and unavoidable unless you want to be stuck at home or stay on pavement all the time- avoid cracks in side walks though as you could find fire ants there, too.
Get the whole family tested. Get on a full scale desensitation program. Most insurances pay for all of it. Are you self medicating right now?

Part of your problem may be your rental home. Start by moving to a better location.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:30 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,856,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Part of your problem may be your rental home. Start by moving to a better location.

I lived in Texas. Never saw a fire ant. Not saying they aren't in Texas but I never saw one.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
I really have wanted to move for a few years now. The first year we moved here, it was still new and fresh and I tried to keep an open mind. But, I'm really over Texas, now. Fun to visit, but not to live in. I grew up in Minnesota and lived in Billings, Montana for 3 years before moving to TX. We've been in Texas 4 years, now. For reference, I am 30 and my husband is about to turn 34 and we have 4 children, 9 and under. I am a stay at home mom and we homeschool our kids, so uprooting them is not an issue. No family and not many friends here.

The only real plus to living here is that my husband has a nice job with the city. The reason I find Texas intolerable is because we can't be outside most of the year. The only time it's OK to be outside is when it's colder and the days have less light and it's only like that for about 4 months.

My husband and at least one of my kids are very allergic to fire ants. There are fire ants EVERYWHERE.
My daughter got bitten by one or two when we went on a walk a couple years ago and got hives all over her body. I was able to treat her with benadryl, but it was scary. I was ready to pick up and move the next day seeing that. (my husband not so much)
My husband got bitten and turned red all over from an allergic reaction and had to go to urgent care. I still don't know if others in our family will be allergic, but they are unavoidable and pesticide resistant. These are the main reasons I want to leave and find it intolerable here. I can't send my kids outdoors to play because it's dangerous for them to be out there. I followed the advice of putting socks and shoes on them, but we went to the park yesterday and the fire ants were crawling all over the playground equipment. I had them crawling on me before I realized it. Thankfully, I just brushed them off and we got out of there before anyone got bitten. I also hate the cockroaches that come around when it's warmer. We have to set traps and block up all the drains and stuff. Haven't had an infestation, yet. But, I've had one rub up against my foot once and one come out of the emergency sink drain when I was washing my face and nearly had a heart attack.

My husband has over 10 years experience in the civil engineering field and is known as an expert in the field. So, he should be able to fairly easily find a job elsewhere, but I'm having trouble convincing him to move because his job with the city is secure and mostly 40 hours a week. He takes on more hours through other people, though. So, doesn't seem to keep him from working extra hours in reality.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, that's would be great. Maybe you know of other places that might be good for a homeschooling family with civil engineering related opportunities?? I will keep bringing it up to my husband in hopes of getting him more open to moving.
Here's my advice to you:

https://youtu.be/5hid10EgMXE

OK, for real:

1) If fire ants were crawling on you, they would have bitten you before you could manage to brush them off, so I doubt that you actually had fire ants crawling all over you today. Just sayin.'

2) How can you live in a decent sized city for four years, not work outside the home, have four kids and still not have friends? Honestly - Texans tend to be very friendly. Sounds like you may be part of the problem.

3) You can't be outside most of the year????? Are you kidding? Look - Texas is pretty dang hot for about three months out of the year. The winters are generally fantastic. Fall and spring are usually breezy and pleasant. But to each his own, I guess. My husband works a lot up north and frankly, he thinks the weather up there is pretty miserable most of the year and can't wait to get back home to Texas (except for in August and September).

4) We've never had any sort of infestation of cockroaches ever - ever - in all our decades of living in Texas. So I guess I just can't relate to that part of your saga.

5) I did approve of you having your kids wear socks and shoes - that's pretty civilized behavior on your part and I commend you. But just so you know, we don't have much of a problem at all with fire ants, because we keep very effective fire ant treatment on hand and as soon as we see a mound, we treat it and POOF - it's gone. In fact, we only have about two or three fire ant mounds a year try to start in our yard and they're gone with one treatment.

6) It doesn't sound like your husband wants to move. Maybe he likes Texas - lots of people do. But Texas is not for the faint of heart or weak of spirit - or those prone to heat exhaustion or folks who are afraid of the occasional alarmingly big bug. Everything's bigger in Texas.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,653,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Exactly. People dont appreciate how good they have it until they leave. Life in the north is good.
Very true. North is def good. I moved to Northern VA from Texas. Best decision ever. Just couldn't adjust to TX no matter what I tried. Embraced it while there, but wasn't sad when I drove away leaving it behind in my rear view. Glad I got a chance to scratch it off my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.