Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:35 AM

19 posts, read 18,086 times

Advertisements

My family wants to relocate in 5-9 years. We currently live in Louisiana. We hate just about everything about it. My husband has never lived anywhere else. I went to college in western Virginia and spent a summer in D.C. Unfortunately, we have limited time and resources to scout out where we want to eventually end up. Also unfortunately, I'm not sure anywhere will meet all our qualifications. So I hope you guys can help. We are visiting Colorado Springs in October, so it's currently on the list. We'd rather head west. I would consider New York state, but I'm not sure my husband would, unless someone can say it fits the bill. I've done a little research on Boise and Missoula. Here is what we are looking for.

1. Some snow, but not an insane amount where it makes life too hard. Definitely want to be near mountains. (Boise seems to fail here...not much precip).
2. Tolerable summer weather. I never spend time outdoors now because it's so damn hot, and that needs to change.
3. Good schools (my son will be 7-11 when we move).
4. My husband is very conservative, likes guns and people who work for a living.
5. I am more libertarian. I don't like lazy people. The kicker is despite being more conservative in our values, my line of work will probably be in the alternative medicine field. So looking for open minded people, especially regarding health, but not so hippy that they don't take baths.
6. We don't have a ton of money, so can't afford somewhere like Boulder. We need to be able to find jobs or have our own businesses (my husband has experience as a real estate agent).

Thank you in advance for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 03:58 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,431,530 times
Boise, ID and Salt Lake City, UT in the West.

Asheville, NC and Knoxville, TN in the East.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,698,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Boise, ID and Salt Lake City, UT in the West.

Asheville, NC and Knoxville, TN in the East.
Can't speak for all these towns, but Asheville is famously liberal, and I don't think it would meet the OPs criteria -- although some of the small towns around it might. Outside of the city limits the area is mostly classic, small town, Red State territory.

But also consider Charleston WV or Greenville SC. The latter I know has a conservative tilt to it as well as a very strong local economy. The former is an increasingly conservative state, both socially and politically. Schools in each, I'd imagine, run the gamut from great to horrible, but would likely depend on where you live in the district. Housing costs in both cities are reasonable. Each city has four seasons.

Both cities have several colleges/universities in the vicinity, so there could well be a market amenable to alternative health practices, though the conservatism in both areas MIGHT mitigate against that, I just don;t know and you'd have to do a bit of research on that to find out.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,999,837 times
Look at Bend, Oregon and Reno, Nevada.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,958,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerg07 View Post
My family wants to relocate in 5-9 years.
The whole world could change in that kind of lead time. Not to mention your situation, finances, etc.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM

21 posts, read 17,931 times
I loved Colorado when I visited. I loved the warmer weather in the southeastern part of the state, by the National Park Mesa Verde. Look into the banana belt region, where it is reportedly more mild compared to more mountainous regions.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinWI View Post
I loved Colorado when I visited. I loved the warmer weather in the southeastern part of the state, by the National Park Mesa Verde. Look into the banana belt region, where it is reportedly more mild compared to more mountainous regions.
Thanks for the input.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The whole world could change in that kind of lead time. Not to mention your situation, finances, etc.
We can only afford one trip a year, at most. So I am asking for opinions to avoid wasting my time and money. I've hated Louisiana for the past 20+ years, so I don't think my opinions are going to change that much.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Look at Bend, Oregon and Reno, Nevada.
Thank you for the response.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,857,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I agree. Pittsburgh has done a 180 in 4 years. I wouldn't start looking at relocating until a year out from the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.