U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,804 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have the ability to live anywhere (as long as I have internet) and my wife and I are looking to move somewhere that has the following characteristics:

- Must snow in the winter
- Summer temps below 80f
- must have high speed (fiber or at least cable, NO DSL or Sat internet)
- within ~30-60 minutes of a decent sized town with good healthcare (pre-existing condition)
- high altitude, the higher the better
- affordable (rent below $2k/mo, home prices below $350k)
- would be nice if there was a ski resort (or 10) within an hour or less drive
- MUST be tolerable to legal immigrants who speak English with a slight accent (non-hispanic/asian [Including Indian sub-continent] accents) {nothing against any of those persons/accents, just not what mine is}
- Social scene is not important. We don't drink/smoke/do drugs
- we are late 20s/early 30s couple with no children, so local schools are also not important.

Please let us know your suggestions for towns/cities in the US that fit all (or at least MOST) of these criteria.

Thank you all so much for your time and any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 05:29 AM

12,873 posts, read 4,657,792 times
Flagstaff, Arizona should fit the bill. Laramie, Wyoming and the area midway between Denver and Colorado Springs, Colorado are other options.

Last edited by PCALMike; 03-17-2016 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 AM

994 posts, read 598,792 times
Western Oregon or Idaho perhaps?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:43 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,290,206 times
Was gonna recommend Leadville, CO, but
  • local healthcare is poor
  • it's more than an hour to Denver or Grand Junction (bigger hospitals). Silverthorne or Frisco may work for everyday care.
  • Charter's highest-speed internet offering is 30mbps

Other than that, it ticks almost all the other things on your list. Sits at 10,000', all-time record high is 85 degrees. Close to multiple ski areas.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Affordable, healthcare, and skiing. Not going to be New England. Maybe the southern Appalachians or WV.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:12 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,704,902 times
Flagstaff, Arizona sounds like it fits your bill perfectly.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:06 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSnowAndCold View Post
Hi all,

I have the ability to live anywhere (as long as I have internet) and my wife and I are looking to move somewhere that has the following characteristics:

- Must snow in the winter
- Summer temps below 80f
- must have high speed (fiber or at least cable, NO DSL or Sat internet)
- within ~30-60 minutes of a decent sized town with good healthcare (pre-existing condition)
- high altitude, the higher the better
- affordable (rent below $2k/mo, home prices below $350k)
- would be nice if there was a ski resort (or 10) within an hour or less drive
- MUST be tolerable to legal immigrants who speak English with a slight accent (non-hispanic/asian [Including Indian sub-continent] accents) {nothing against any of those persons/accents, just not what mine is}
- Social scene is not important. We don't drink/smoke/do drugs
- we are late 20s/early 30s couple with no children, so local schools are also not important.

Please let us know your suggestions for towns/cities in the US that fit all (or at least MOST) of these criteria.

Thank you all so much for your time and any responses!
Check out Boone NC

It gets plenty of winter snow, average highs below 80 (even in summer), higher altitude (3300 feet) but not so high you spend a long time ascending/descending when driving, affordable housing with plenty of desirable options in your price range, a well-equipped regional medical center in town, a few nearby ski resorts, a progressive community with tolerance thanks primarily to the presence of Appalachian State University in-town and should children become part of the equation Boone has some of the best public schools in NC. Boone North Carolina - The Heart of the North Carolina High Country

Old 03-17-2016, 03:41 PM

56,726 posts, read 81,038,544 times
I wasn't going to post, but Saranac Lake NY in the Adirondacks may be a good fit. Lake Placid is down the road and there is a hospital in Saranac Lake. If that is too small, a place like Plattsburgh, which is minutes from the Adirondacks, is right on Lake Champlain, is about an hour south of Montreal and has a regional hospital may be another option. Glens Falls, Ticonderoga or perhaps one of the towns between the Adirondacks and Utica may work as well due to their proximity to the mountains, their relative affordability and they fit much or all of the other criteria.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:19 PM

964 posts, read 704,724 times
The Lake Tahoe area is cool enough in the summers, high altitude, ski resorts all around, but it's expensive. You could try the towns away from the shore, like Truckee. Or alternatively, the Nevada side of the lake, where you'd avoid high California taxes.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:36 PM

11,103 posts, read 12,491,223 times
Ouray Colorado.

Ouray, Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or