Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times

Advertisements

Yes. Totally agreed. Humidity is a state of mind, but when it is constant, as shown in my list, it outranks some northern states who claim they are humid, when in truth they are only humid for certain periods, as opposed to the south where it is constant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Yes, which equates to icy in the winter.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, which equates to icy in the winter.
and really damp and chilly in the spring and fall.

i once spent a week in tampa at the end of june. the daytime highs were in the upper 90s and it was very humid. it was miserable.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post

how bad is humidity in these cities? and for those who live in humid places how do you deal with, i hate the feeling of sweating and feeling like you smell like a** just for walking to your mailbox
Dress very light with cotton and linen fabrics, and get several pairs of sandals or more relaxed footwear.

Eat healthy and stay hydrated. Most people will insist they drink plenty of water, but there have been studies which suggest that 3/4 of Americans are actually dehydrated most of the time. Eating a lot of processed and high sugar foods will also contribute to making your body feel oppressed by the weather.

Stay active. Shutting yourself indoors will never give you the chance to become acclimated to the weather and will only make summer seem longer.

If you're hellbent on being miserable, you probably will be.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Surprisingly in my research, Charlotte, Washington DC, and Philadelphia follow below this level, though still are considered humid during the summer. Other cities are humid at times but really don't make the "humid" grade overall...this would include Indianapolis, New York City, Cincinnati, and Chicago.

I always chuckle when people say the Southern Appalachians don't get the humidity. Western NC/Eastern TN/Northeastern GA are technically classified as a rainforest climate.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:26 AM

286 posts, read 295,021 times
What's more humid Phoenix and vegas In monsoon season or Texas cities and florida in the summer ?

What is more humid Raleigh or Austin/Dallas/San Antonio

Heat does not bother me I like Las Vegas , it's the sticky humidity sweating for doing nothing I dislike

Old 03-21-2016, 07:43 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
What's more humid Phoenix and vegas In monsoon season or Texas cities and florida in the summer ?

What is more humid Raleigh or Austin/Dallas/San Antonio

Heat does not bother me I like Las Vegas , it's the sticky humidity sweating for doing nothing I dislike
Phoenix

Dallas

San Antonio

Raleigh

No sense in posting Tampa or Houston because they're more humid than the others.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 AM

159 posts, read 204,560 times
Yeah, going by Dew Point - a better measure of humidity feel - Vegas is super comfortable from everything I can see just poking through some data. I saw an occasional day during summer where it got above comfort levels (but the temperature dipped considerably on that day, to 90 degrees), but I never saw it reaching oppressive levels. I know I've never felt like I'm walking through water when I've been in vegas. I've felt that way in Florida when the temperature was otherwise absolutely perfect though. Dallas I've felt very wet, oppressive I'd say - but probably only because it was also so hot. It doesn't even come close to Florida.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:31 AM

286 posts, read 295,021 times
It's very overwelming trying to find a city that I will enjoy the weather in , because I work outside I don't have the luxory of an air conditioned office.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Dress very light with cotton and linen fabrics, and get several pairs of sandals or more relaxed footwear.

Eat healthy and stay hydrated. Most people will insist they drink plenty of water, but there have been studies which suggest that 3/4 of Americans are actually dehydrated most of the time. Eating a lot of processed and high sugar foods will also contribute to making your body feel oppressed by the weather.

Stay active. Shutting yourself indoors will never give you the chance to become acclimated to the weather and will only make summer seem longer.

If you're hellbent on being miserable, you probably will be.
Amen and amen. I'm used to humidity and it doesn't tend to bother me, but when I visit New Orleans or Charleston, SC or Houston, I do notice that it seems hotter even though it's really not. (I live in northeast Texas, which is a pretty humid area.) But it's just not that difficult to dress for the weather - all natural fabrics as you recommend, no panty hose (I can't even remember the last time I wore those), and lots and lots of cute sandals.

Maintain a healthy weight and drink lots of water. And don't fight the hair thing, go with it instead. I like my hair a lot better in more humid climates than I do in dry climates, but that's because I don't fight the feeling.

Get outside in those loose fitting cotton or linen clothes and enjoy yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.