Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM

270 posts, read 322,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Where are these homes you speak of in the Portland area that are only $200k?? I like the area but I'm not sure it qualifies.
If you would be satisfied with a small condo, I think it may still be possible-- not easy, but possible-- to find something in, say, Beaverton. There are certain areas of West Linn where things occasionally turn up in that price range as well (I am not sure what those parts of West Linn are like, and am curious myself). But yes, your price range is going to make things difficult, not just in Portland metro but (probably) in most other places that fit your criteria.

Henderson, NV was once described to me as being safe and having very low housing prices. I'm no expert on Henderson, but it may be worth a look. No pro sports, unless Las Vegas really does get an NHL team someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 12:43 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,560,429 times
Check out the east valley suburbs in Phoenix. Weather is warm, you can find homes around $200k, Arizona State University is close by in Tempe.

Mesa, Gilbert, and Tempe come to mind. There's a big shopping center in Mesa that has plenty of Asian restaurants and a grocery store called MekongPlaza.

Home

Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,413,478 times
Wow, I had to think a little bit, lol. But you have a good list. It's just I'm having a hard time thinking of some areas that have the combination of what you're looking for, especially that have all of that AND a very low crime rate. Ft. Mill and Belmont near Charlotte NC would be worth a look. Some of the suburbs north of Atlanta. Brandon FL near Tampa is nice. Mesa near Phoenix is nice too. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:38 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,327,381 times
Do far I've got

Gilbert, AZ (no real downtown but has walkable areas and trails that cut through)
Marble Falls, TX
McKinney, TX
Boise and Meridian, ID (has everything I want except year round warmth! Very tempting option.)
Fayetteville, AR (lacks warmth)
Henderson, NV (just a suburb, nothing to walk to and no character)
Tucson, AZ (interesting option)
Centralia, WA (not sure what to think about this place)
Bloominhton, IL (great town, very easy to get around and had charm, but kind of fat from a large city and cold)
Wilmington, IL (and other towns in the farming areas south of Chicago. Very safe, charming, good schools, near major city but unfortunately it's a dangerous city)

Old 03-22-2016, 04:16 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,560,429 times
Quote:
Do far I've got

Gilbert, AZ (no real downtown but has walkable areas and trails that cut through)
Marble Falls, TX
McKinney, TX
Boise and Meridian, ID (has everything I want except year round warmth! Very tempting option.)
Fayetteville, AR (lacks warmth)
Henderson, NV (just a suburb, nothing to walk to and no character)
Tucson, AZ (interesting option)
Centralia, WA (not sure what to think about this place)
Bloominhton, IL (great town, very easy to get around and had charm, but kind of fat from a large city and cold)
Wilmington, IL (and other towns in the farming areas south of Chicago. Very safe, charming, good schools, near major city but unfortunately it's a dangerous city)
I'd also check our Aurora Colorado. It's similar to Mesa and Gilbert. Not sure if you want to go through winter.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,747,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I'd also check our Aurora Colorado. It's similar to Mesa and Gilbert. Not sure if you want to go through winter.
$200k probably isn't going to get it done in Aurora unless the OP is willing to get a condo or townhouse in an area zoned to Aurora Public Schools.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:22 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,689,480 times
If you were willing to noodge up the home price a bit (say to as much $250,000 for three bedrooms) and swap a single family home for a big condo or co-op, the NYC suburb of Ft. Lee would be perfect for you. Small walkable and bikeable downtown, very, very safe, excellent schools, diverse with a large sophisticated Asian-American population, four distinct seasons (is winter a deal-breaker?) close to major parks and the Palisades (the cliffs overlooking Manhattan), and of course easy access to NYC and its entertainment and cultural offerings.

Consider the possibilities.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,938,725 times
Quote:
Do far I've got

In the last few years the Gilbert downtown has boomed with lots of trendy restaurants and bars. Chandler, which is next door to Gilbert also has a good downtown area and MUCH more Asian specialty shops. Chandler has much better authentic Asian dining and shopping that Gilbert does not have.

You should probably specify a square footage requirement with your housing budget. That could vary widely throughout the country from a 500 sqft hell hole to a 4000 sq ft mini mansion.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:43 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
Sacramento, Modesto, Turlock, Merced, Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.