U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 5,421 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 Y/O Caucasian female & will be graduating with my RN in a couple months. I currently reside in Columbus & despise it for many reasons. I used to live in South Carolina in a small town. I loved the culture, the summers, the Spanish moss, the hospitality...but not sure I would go back. Being 22 and single it was hard to date and find friends in a small town/retirement community. Everyone tells Me to just move to Charleston . I've visited but it still seems small to me. Here's what I'm looking for :
A state down south and a city of relative size .
Close to the coast. I love salt water fishing, boating, crabbing and laying out on the beach. It's my therapy.
Decent COL. Being a new grad and living on my own, I can't afford places like Miami if I want to live somewhere decent. I probably could afford 800 tops a month for rent/living accommodations starting out .
Things to do/ social scene/ good dating scene/night life
Every city has people who can be superficial to some extent but I don't want a city known for that. I used to stay with a friend in south beach/Miami . It was pretty. But seemed like a lot of people were superficial and fake. And I felt out of place . Especially because I don't speak Spanish .Don't take it personally .
Suggestions would be great. I've visited many cities and states down south but visiting somewhere new always seems great and new and exciting but I don't know what it actually feels like to live places. Insight needed & appreciated !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:18 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,344,366 times
Can't speak to the dating scene. But I think everything you want might be in Tampa FL. Affordable, beaches, sizable, array of nightlife and clubs. If there is a good job market there for RNs, it might be a fit.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:29 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,456,802 times
If you thought Charleston was small then your choices are limited to be in the South and near the coast. New Orleans is large and may fit your needs as is Jacksonville Fla. Others to look at would be Mobile AL, or Savannah GA, but they may not be big enough for you. Virginia Beach also worth a looksee.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 1,519,707 times
My suggestions would be Charleston SC, Wilmington NC, or Virginia Beach VA

Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,688,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairelilycooper View Post
I used to live in South Carolina in a small town. I loved the culture, the summers, the Spanish moss, the hospitality...but not sure I would go back. Being 22 and single it was hard to date and find friends in a small town/retirement community. Everyone tells Me to just move to Charleston . I've visited but it still seems small to me. Here's what I'm looking for :
Close to the coast. I love salt water fishing, boating, crabbing and laying out on the beach. It's my therapy.
Decent COL. Being a new grad and living on my own, I can't afford places like Miami if I want to live somewhere decent. I probably could afford 800 tops a month for rent/living accommodations starting out .

I would consider your political & religious leanings as well. I absolutely hate it here in GA because of the religious wing nuts. If I could move, I would, but my husband's parents are elderly and our grandkids are here.

Just something to think about.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairelilycooper View Post
I'm a 22 Y/O Caucasian female & will be graduating with my RN in a couple months. I currently reside in Columbus & despise it for many reasons. I used to live in South Carolina in a small town. I loved the culture, the summers, the Spanish moss, the hospitality...but not sure I would go back. Being 22 and single it was hard to date and find friends in a small town/retirement community. Everyone tells Me to just move to Charleston . I've visited but it still seems small to me. Here's what I'm looking for :
Every city has people who can be superficial to some extent but I don't want a city known for that. I used to stay with a friend in south beach/Miami . It was pretty. But seemed like a lot of people were superficial and fake. And I felt out of place . Especially because I don't speak Spanish .Don't take it personally .
Suggestions would be great. I've visited many cities and states down south but visiting somewhere new always seems great and new and exciting but I don't know what it actually feels like to live places. Insight needed & appreciated !!
If you like a friendly Southern vibe, a larger city and coastal activities you can't do any better than Jacksonville. It's also a great city for RNs with some major (and well-paying) medical facilities like The Mayo Clinic, University of Florida-Shands Medical Center and Baptist Medical Center. For places to live check out Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach which are fairly close to downtown/hospitals plus offer affordable coastal living.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:43 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
This is one of the rare times where Jax seems to be the best fit for a young person lol.

Low COL. $800/month gives you a decent number of options, with a roommate you could even live right on the beach. You could also get a 1 bedroom in pretty much any of the trendy urban neighborhoods, though it would be a pretty basic and bare bones unit.

Jax has tons of water access and is the home of "salt life" so you'd fit right in with crabbing, boating, fishing and sunbathing. There are plenty of RN options. Nightlife is decent...probably no better (or a little worse) than Columbus. But should be much better than Charleston. There are areas of Jax that are very old and historic, and can offer a feel/vibe very much like historic SC.

Anyway, Tampa area is also a good option mentioned. It is much larger and will have everything you seek in greater abundance, just a bit more expensive.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you like a friendly Southern vibe, a larger city and coastal activities you can't do any better than Jacksonville. It's also a great city for RNs with some major (and well-paying) medical facilities like The Mayo Clinic, University of Florida-Shands Medical Center and Baptist Medical Center. For places to live check out Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach which are fairly close to downtown/hospitals plus offer affordable coastal living.
For a guy who is not from and does not live in Jax, Kyle always nails it with his recs and description of Jax. The only thing I would say is Jax/Neptune Beach is not really close to downtown, but I guess it's all relative and for the beaches those would be the closest. But in off hours you'd expect 30 min each way. If traffic is bad it could be closer to an hour.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:26 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,688,308 times
I third Jacksonville. I grew up there and it is more "Northern" than any southern town I've ever lived in. Don't know why I didn't think about that at first.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 AM

998 posts, read 882,051 times
VA Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or