U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:00 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,533,669 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this site and really enjoy it. Over the weeks I've been on here, I have noticed quite a few threads of people looking to relocate and stating specifically that they want an liberal area. I found that a little disappointing in that I believe true "diversity" also includes diversity of thoughts and ideas, even if we don't agree. I really don't believe that most who say they're tolerant really are, it just sounds nice. Then when it comes to moving to a new area or whatever, we want to be with mostly like-minded people. Though I've only seen liberal people seek out such areas on this page, some conservatives can be guilty of this as well. I am an Independent Conservative (I hate political parties) and live in the Charlotte area. The suburb I live in is conservative (I was raised here), as is most of the suburbs surrounding Charlotte. The city of Charlotte itself is moderately liberal. Even with that being the case, we all get along really well. I have friends and family who are liberal and conservative as well. We don't look to avoid one another. We live, work, and play together. If there is a disagreement, we generally agree to disagree without the fireworks of arguing and such. Not to say we're all perfect by any means. But I do admire and cherish that Charlotte is such a community as it is. Asheville, NC (a favorite city of my wife and me that we love taking day trips to) is another example. The city itself is very liberal, but the suburban areas around it are pretty conservative. But everyone gets along so well. They're incredibly friendly and open to each other. Again, anytime there are any differences of any kind (race, religion, culture, beliefs, etc.), there's always going to be some differing's of opinions, with some occasional conflict. It's also natural, generally speaking, for any of us to seek out others of similar interest and beliefs. But how we handle these differences is key, and I think the citizens of the Charlotte and Asheville areas do a wonderful job of that. Seeing that one really has to either live in an area or visit an area very often to really get a fair view of this, I'd like to hear of some areas where you live or know about where both conservative and liberal people get along well.

Last edited by march2; 03-24-2016 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM

5,227 posts, read 3,639,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'm new to this site and really enjoy it. Over the weeks I've been on here, I have noticed quite a few threads of people looking to relocate and stating specifically that they want an liberal area. I found that a little disappointing in that I believe true "diversity" also includes diversity of thoughts and ideas, even if we don't agree. I really don't believe that most who say they're tolerant really are, it just sounds nice. Then when it comes to moving to a new area or whatever, we want to be with mostly like-minded people. Though I've only seen liberal people seek out such areas on this page, some conservatives can be guilty of this as well. I am an Independent Conservative (I hate political parties) and live in the Charlotte area. The suburb I live in is conservative (I was raised here), as is most of the suburbs surrounding Charlotte. The city of Charlotte itself is moderately liberal. Even with that being the case, we all get along really well. I have friends and family who are liberal and conservative as well. We don't look to avoid one another. We live, work, and play together. If there is a disagreement, we generally agree to disagree without the fireworks of arguing and such. Not to say we're all perfect by any means. But I do admire and cherish that Charlotte is such a community as it is. Asheville, NC (a favorite city of my wife and me that we love taking day trips to) is another example. The city itself is very liberal, but the suburban areas around it are pretty conservative. But everyone gets along so well. They're incredibly friendly and open to each other. Again, anytime there are any differences of any kind (race, religion, culture, beliefs, etc.), there's always going to be some differing's of opinions, with some occasional conflict. It's also natural, generally speaking, for any of us to seek out others of similar interest and beliefs. But how we handle these differences is key, and I think the citizens of the Charlotte and Asheville areas do a wonderful job of that. Seeing that one really has to either live in an area or visit an area very often to really get a fair view of this, I'd like to hear of some areas where you live or know about where both conservative and liberal people get along well.
My next door neighbor is an ex professor, liberal, Hillary supporter. I have always voted Republican. I guess if we went at each other, it wouldn't be much of a fight as he is in his 80's and I am almost 80. We talk about travel, tomatoes, collards, etc.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,395,748 times
Dallas/Ft. Worth. Lots or Tattoo Parlors and lots of Mega Churches. One of the largest LGBT neighborhoods in the country and the most soccer moms and private Schoolers I've ever seen. Mostly everyone gets along. And the cost of living is generally low and the jobs pay well!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,533,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Dallas/Ft. Worth. Lots or Tattoo Parlors and lots of Mega Churches. One of the largest LGBT neighborhoods in the country and the most soccer moms and private Schoolers I've ever seen. Mostly everyone gets along. And the cost of living is generally low and the jobs pay well!
What you just described sounds just like Charlotte. Very similar.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
San Diego is pretty moderate overall and politically diverse. Everyone seems to get along for the most part with politics.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,598,087 times
Yea, Charlotte is a good place of political coexistence.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 PM

351 posts, read 550,985 times
Liberals and conservatives get along all over the country.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,542,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Liberals and conservatives get along all over the country.
I was just going to say: Isn't the answer "all of them"? Real life is not the Internet, fortunately enough.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Eh I wouldn't say the SF Bay Area is a good place for a more outspoken conservative.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,598,087 times
Yea, there are definitely places where being the minority political opinion is not a fun time. SanFran, Berkeley come to mind over progressive areas where conservatives are demonized, while I cannot imagine being a progressive in conservative Provo, UT would be very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or