U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Another one I don't think was mentioned: US Hwy. 163 between Mexican Hat, Utah, and Kayenta, Arizona. Goes through Monument Valley and other landscapes that look like a faraway alien planet. One of the most spectacular drives I've ever taken.
One of my favorite drives too. To be honest the Northern Arizona/Southern Utah border is one of the prettiest places in the country IMO. The rocks are just so weird over there!

I also like U.S. 89 in Arizona. But the 89-Alternate, goes through some of the best Arizona has to offer, from Sedona, Oak Creek, to pine tree-filled cliffs with scenic views of Mount Humphreys until the I-17 where the 89 restarts again in Flagstaff, running past Mount Humphreys and Sunset Crater. Near "Bitter Springs", Arizona (such a depressing name!) it splits again... 89-A takes you next to iconic Horseshoe Bend (can be seen from the road but it goes by quick!) and the Vermillion Cliffs (Home of "The Wave") and is the access for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, while the 89 takes you to Page, Arizona and Lake Powell and past the Grand Staircase National Monument... They rejoin in Kanab, Utah. I haven't taken it further than Kanab but the 89 does get pretty close to Bryce Canyon and Zion. I wonder if you can see them from it? Anyway, the 89 in Arizona is action-packed. Not sure what it's like past Kanab until it ends at the I-70.

The 207 in Nevada where you scale mountains and then suddenly, out of no where, you reach the top and BAM! Lake Tahoe! Definitely a sight see from up there after being exhausted driving up those mountains. If you didn't know Lake Tahoe existed, that would be a shocker. And Lake Tahoe speaks for itself.

I also award the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. That's a cool one to go on. I'm not used to bridges in general and at one point you can't see land at all.

One day I will go on the Golden Gate Bridge but for now my favorite bridge is the Verrazano Bridge in New York. It's cool seeing the City from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,499,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road in the Black Hills.

Going-to-the-Sun Road, Glacier NP

I-90 across Western Montana into Northern Idaho.

I don't remember the road, but driving through the Clearwater National Forest in Idaho...beautiful.
It's called "The Lochsa Highway" aka hwy 12 from Lolo, MT to Kooskia, ID. Great drive.

It's hard to take a bad drive in western Montana. Though I HATED the drive between Helena and Three Forks on Hwy 12.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
US 2 west from St. Ignace, Michigan.
That drive is only good for the first 1/2 hr. After that it gets boring (until you turn south and get to my house on a peninsula ).

Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 AM

679 posts, read 462,982 times
Mt Washington auto rd..... beautiful, but not for the faint of heart

Old 03-29-2016, 07:56 AM

3,718 posts, read 3,570,191 times
PA 120 from Lock haven to Emporium is beautiful.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 AM

107 posts, read 72,217 times
I-93 through Franconia Notch, NH where the Old Man in the Mountain used to be.

Rt 169 From Brooklyn, CT to Canterbury, CT is a pretty little drive in the fall.

Rt 210 Happy Jack Rd out of Cheyenne, through Curt Gowdy State Park, up to the Lincoln Monument on I-80

Interesting question, OP - now I want to pour through my maps and remember all the pretty drives I've taken over the years.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 AM

107 posts, read 72,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Mt Washington auto rd..... beautiful, but not for the faint of heart
OMG that was the scariest trip of my life! (I was about 13). We were in a 1965 Buick Skylark. Good thing the brakes held. Woosh. OTOH the Cog Railway wasn't scary at all and beautiful.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
OMG that was the scariest trip of my life! (I was about 13). We were in a 1965 Buick Skylark. Good thing the brakes held. Woosh. OTOH the Cog Railway wasn't scary at all and beautiful.
lol .. I thought the Cog railway was scarier ... I just did the drive for the first time .. def. a scary white-knuckle drive .. but unbelievable views.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
lol .. I thought the Cog railway was scarier ... I just did the drive for the first time .. def. a scary white-knuckle drive .. but unbelievable views.
So I'm no expert on Google Earth but does anyone know why there is no streetview on the actual road but you can view the inside of the Red Barn Museum (clearly on foot) and the parking area on the summit of Mt Washington?

p.s. it looks like a cool drive.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So I'm no expert on Google Earth but does anyone know why there is no streetview on the actual road but you can view the inside of the Red Barn Museum (clearly on foot) and the parking area on the summit of Mt Washington?

p.s. it looks like a cool drive.

its an awesome drive .. scary as hell but worth doing .. you can see it on Google Earth street view ... I checked it out before I made the trip. you can find vids on youtube from people that filmed their trip. Its even scary to watch lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or