U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 395 times

Advertisements

Hello, let me begin with stating that I am looking for opinions on somewhere to move to in the next few years (4 or less years) as a place to live for the remainder of my life. I will try and break down what exactly I am looking for and who I am to get the best results. Any information, opinions and facts would be greatly appreciated.

First who I am: 26, single, male, no children currently living in St.Paul, Minnesota (lived here my whole life). Very strongly influenced and involved in drag racing/hot rods which is a major part of my moving motivation. Work in the automotive field and can work out of my garage if needed (metal fabrication).

Secondly what my criteria in a location include: Some where warm (mostly year round), preferably less humid and drier states (not very rainy but also not super dry). Currently very tired of the 6+ month long winters we have in Minnesota but wouldn't mind if where I moved got minimal amount of snow per year (under 12") I very much want somewhere really scenic with rivers, lakes, mountains and greenery. Idealy to want to be near a major city for the convienence of things to do but prefer a smaller town to live in and navigate through. I would like between 2-10 acres which I do understand will put me on the slight outskirts of most towns but would like to remain within 30 minutes of the heart of the city. I will be building a home so an established neighborhood is not what I'm looking for and prefer to stay away from places having neighbors within a few hundred yards. Also important that I am away from most natural disasters in general.

Perfect break down of what I'm looking for: A happening city to visit on the weekends with resturants, live music, events, plenty of people, and a good amount of younger single women. Plenty things to do both inside and outside. A city heavily incorporated with drag racing (drag strips, shops, people), other forms of racing (road course, circle track, off road-mud and rock crawling) and general car community (car shows, shops, events). Cheaper cost of living but still good jobs and economy while still having a nice town overall.

Idealy and simply I'm looking for a good city for a young-single male with my ideal weather/climate and like minded/friendly people. Prefer a slower pace of life that I can enjoy. Enjoy the southern way of life, however I am not religious at all (keep to myself so it wouldn't be an issue).

I've reserched for many years and need opinions from people with real experience and info. I have looked into and am leaning towards a few specific areas which include Texas (DFW area in particular), Tennessee (Nashville/Chattanooga/Knoxville), possibly either of the Carolinas' or Virginias' and Colorado (Denver area). I am open to suggestions of other areas but prefer to be south of whats called the 36 degree 30' north line while staying away from the very bottom edge of the country.

I fully understand this is a lot of info and almost impossible to find a perfect place that includes all of my criteria but would appreciate any insight as to where to look into further. Thanks! Preston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,519,707 times
I would suggest Iredell County, a suburban county north of Charlotte. It has a large number of NASCAR shops and there's a world class drag strip in nearby Concord. Iredell County is suburban, but also has more rural areas where you could have the acreage you want, close to the NASCAR shops, and close to Charlotte. It's affordable, nice 4-season climate (but can get a bit humid in the summers), and lots of recreational assets. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or