U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 16,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Yes, the rental prices are definitely very high. So you need to make enough money, lower your standards re; the kind of housing you want, be very tolerant and patient in the search for housing or be willing to live with housemates.
And actually, there are some very sweet housemate situations where you can live in a rather high end dwelling with other professionals and it can be very good. Especially if you're new to an area.
I've lived in the county for many years. I live very simply (understatement but i'm kinda counter culture and live semi-off grid in the redwoods) as i still find it worth it to live on the Monterey bay.
And yes, it's very lgbt friendly.
Here is the teacher salary schedule for the area: http://sccs.net/common/pages/Display...itemId=1036758

Is that doable?
And would home ownership ever be a possibility anywhere near there? (I'm not looking to do that for a few years, but I have to think ahead)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
You can't compare one metro to an entire state. California is expensive in general because of taxes and COL. Even desert California is more expensive than desert Arizona. Adjust that for COL of the specific towns and include taxes then talk. Tucson and Bisbee, two towns I think could fit the OP's needs, are fairly cheap.

I'm not saying Arizona pays well. Arizona pays crap for its state government workers (city and county appears to do OK depending on which one). But Palm Springs pays higher because it has to be higher there.
Thanks for the data. I can't say I've been scared off of either city based on that. Although, as I said in the post above, I would like to have a home someday. Hopefully I'll have a partner to help me out with that at some point!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 PM

12,843 posts, read 4,646,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
You can't compare one metro to an entire state. California is expensive in general because of taxes and COL. Even desert California is more expensive than desert Arizona. Adjust that for COL of the specific towns and include taxes then talk. Tucson and Bisbee, two towns I think could fit the OP's needs, are fairly cheap.

I'm not saying Arizona pays well. Arizona pays crap for its state government workers (city and county appears to do OK depending on which one). But Palm Springs pays higher because it has to be higher there.
Its true, California is more expensive, but with higher taxes comes higher pay for people working for the public good, like teachers, nurses etc. Middle school teachers can expect to start at $30 000 in Tucson, compared to $45-50 000 in the Palm Springs area.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:56 PM

613 posts, read 977,964 times
Sounds like the Eastern coast of Cinnebar Island is for you. (Just had to!)

The Medford/Ashland area of Oregon could possibly work. The gloom isn't that bad for most of the year and you will find lots of new-age stuff (along with Shakespeare festivals) in Ashland. Don't know about the teaching job situation though.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,139,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmissingno View Post
Here is the teacher salary schedule for the area: http://sccs.net/common/pages/Display...itemId=1036758

Is that doable?
And would home ownership ever be a possibility anywhere near there? (I'm not looking to do that for a few years, but I have to think ahead)
I'm really not the right person to ask about things like finances, buying property, etc..
Could i live in S.C. county on 50K a year. You betchya. But, like i may or may not have said, i live very simply and in a little old trailer in the big old redwoods.

I don't know where you found that link but how do those salaries compare to the rest of S.C. county and to Monterey county?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:18 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,288,771 times
Like it or not the most gay friendly cities are usually high COL cities. Avoid places like Arizona, or overly conservative states like the plague. If it's the south, don't buy it, it's not friendly.

My advice is to look into anywhere on the west coast, or Denver. Also Chicago (but the teacher situation in Chicago is a bit scary right now) or Philly. I really do think the advice of moving to California, Oregon, or Washington though is best. Maybe not SF...but California has plenty of other cities to move too.

I should note, teachers get paid far better on the east coast too...so cities like Boston, and DC may seem expensive, but the teacher salaries do tend to be higher in those areas. In DC experienced teachers start at $50k and go up to $100k+. Taking you are experienced, you will likely get paid more, not less. Especially for special ed teachers. So you cannot judge your current pay where you are living now with your pay elsewhere. In many gay friendly cities, you are also entering places that pay special ed teachers far better. That's the point, conservative places, tend to pay teachers crap, in general.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 746,690 times
Have you considered New Mexico? It is a generally tolerant and laid-back place, with mostly dry, sunny weather and in most areas not as hot as Arizona. I have no idea about compensation for teachers there, but the cost of living is lower than in most other areas of the West - except for Santa Fe which tends to be expensive. I would suggest looking into the districts around Albuquerque and Rio Rancho. The metro area is a little larger than Wichita - but with rather different scenery and way less conservative.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,579 times
Houston, TX pays well for teachers. I know they were recruiting in my my homestate of North Carolina a few years back and paid well. Dallas, also would likely be good. Tampa, Florida I'd Imagine or Orlando are very sunny. and most western cities. Vegas, Phoenix.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Like it or not the most gay friendly cities are usually high COL cities. Avoid places like Arizona, or overly conservative states like the plague. If it's the south, don't buy it, it's not friendly.

My advice is to look into anywhere on the west coast, or Denver. Also Chicago (but the teacher situation in Chicago is a bit scary right now) or Philly. I really do think the advice of moving to California, Oregon, or Washington though is best. Maybe not SF...but California has plenty of other cities to move too.

I should note, teachers get paid far better on the east coast too...so cities like Boston, and DC may seem expensive, but the teacher salaries do tend to be higher in those areas. In DC experienced teachers start at $50k and go up to $100k+. Taking you are experienced, you will likely get paid more, not less. Especially for special ed teachers. So you cannot judge your current pay where you are living now with your pay elsewhere. In many gay friendly cities, you are also entering places that pay special ed teachers far better. That's the point, conservative places, tend to pay teachers crap, in general.

I have noticed the gay-friendly/high-COL correlation.
I can't picture myself on the east coast, but maybe Florida? It's a bit scary because all of my friends/family are midwest or west of that. If I needed to be more coastal, I would probably go with my family in northern California.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM

1,016 posts, read 641,403 times
Long Beach, Laguna Beach or Palm Springs, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or